1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

The big guy (dis)advantage

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BigJakeBritt, Aug 28, 2010.

1. BigJakeBritt

BigJakeBritt White Belt

What does the big guy have to gain by going against some of the lil guys?

I ask because most of the people close to my size don't show up that often to class.

I have a big size/strength advantage over almost everyone I roll with. I was wondering how this might possibly help (but most likely) hurt me.

I try to go easy and not depend on my strength, but sometimes I can't help it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

Movement.

The littler guys are usually more active and move better. You have to learn to deal with that movement and flexibility. You can learn something from everybody.

3. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

I have the same issue, I'm 270, 6 4. I have found that the more I challenge myself to be fast and fight like a little guy, the more advantageous it is. Learn to play like a little man. I've been with my team 4 years

4. newdiamonds

newdiamonds White Belt

I'm a big guy 6'0 310lbs, when i work with smaller guys(which is pretty much 99% of the time) I always play the bottom, I feel like it forces me to keep moving and not get into playing a lazy game. I'm only a blue belt, so I'm still learning what works best for me.

5. BigJakeBritt

BigJakeBritt White Belt

I'm concerned with developing bad habits.

I believe the saying if you're not tapping you're not learning and I haven't been tapping.

6. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

maybe the competition of your gym is not good enough. i've seen smaller guys at my gym kick ass.

7. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

sounds like you need to roll with higher ranked belts, and if you dont have that option at your current gym, it might be time to change schools.

I am 6'1" 250 pounds and there is a blue belt at my gym that is 5'5" or so no more than 145lbs, and he can throw me around flip me over and turn me into a pretzel. He is a cool guy though, he has take me under his wing so to speak.

8. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Play bottom, if you go for halfassed top control, its going to stick around.

9. ZenMojo

ZenMojo White Belt

Start at a disadvantage with positional sparring. Let them have side control, half guard, mount, and back mount. You will learn how to defend well (and you should definitely be tapping).

Try not to use excessive strength to defend - recently when I got top side control on one of our big guys and was moving to mount he grabbed my hip and shoulder and literally bench pressed me, sat up, and set me down beside him.

Work on trying to match the smaller guys speed, work your setups and combinations. If you find it hard to "scale back" on your strength play "catch and release" on all your subs and really work on your flow.

Peace,
    Zen Mojo

Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

10. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

Some of the little guys at my gym are technicians so to speak. The bigger guys, not so much. Because I'm short, but I weigh a lot(5'9 230 ish), I roll with smaller guys a lot, to emulate their technical styles. It's made me more flexible and use more technique -- so I don't power out of stuff when I'm with a guy who weights 270+. I've also learned to be more fluid with my movements.

11. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

This is what a much smaller opponenent can do to you.

[​IMG]

12. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I roll with a big guy who only has been taught triangles so when he is on top he knows nothing and I can mess with him by closing my guard and letting him drop all his weight on me and then the next time I sweep him.
    I think that obviously he has good top control but the problem is that on his back he is really in trouble because I'm strong enough to keep him down but small enough to keep slipping out of stuff.

13. Vovchanchyn Fan

Vovchanchyn Fan Green Belt

Tons, assuming they are skilled - smaller guys are often faster, more flexible and frequently better at technique.

The main thing is you want to *not* use your strength to force things. Even though it may help/work when training against a smaller guy, when you do the same thing against someone your size or larger in a match, you are just going to waste energy, and thats when you will need the better technique/speed/leverage that you hopefully already developed. In other words, don't substitute strength for technique.

Thus, focus on your own technique and leverage and speed and don't try to compensate in these by forcing things with strength, and I think you can learn a lot rolling with smaller guys.

14. bjjmedic

bjjmedic Orange Belt

Focus on proper technique. I find many big guys will rely on their strength and not use good technique. I'm a smaller guy and a couple of the big guys I roll with will continually try to pull out of armbars instead of trying use a more technical escape. It works on me but when they roll with guys their own size that escape will get them in trouble.