The big four...

I've never seen a mauling worse than what Demian did to Rick Story. He squeezed blood out of him with that neck crank. Squeezed him like a fucking tomato.

Imagine some poor bastard at 160 or something against Lawler...on screen death.

That was beautiful. You just gave the best reason they should stay. Plus ... GSP is the champ and he is avg-small sized WW. So size is not everything.

That was beautiful. You just gave the best reason they should stay. Plus ... GSP is the champ and he is avg-small sized WW. So size is not everything.

Georges is an amazing fighter, but I would think Demian would prove to be too much even for him. After all, he's always saying in interviews how he wanted Anderson to come down in weight to fight him. Demian has already fought Anderson at Anderson's normal weight, and did pretty damn good too. Also took Weidman to a decision. That would be an extremely difficult fight for GSP.

Rory's dominant due to his combination of size and skill. Demian's last 2 opponents aren't exactly known for their defensive grappling/takedown defense so he was going to fuck them up/control them on the ground no matter what. Shields has been hardly dominant at WW with his controversial win over Kampmann, loss to GSP, loss to Berger and controversial win over T-Wood. Voelker was just not on the same level of Lawler in their fight and Koscheck was getting some good wrestling off on Lawler before the knee to the body and sprawl that led to the vicious GnP. The only one that's really been getting away with their size out of the 4 you mentioned is Rory but he definitely has the skill to back up his size advantage.

Just seems they're ridiculously dominant, with the exception of Shields' fluke KO at the hands of Ellenberger. Demian has been absolutely slaughtering people in this weight class so far.

disagree, shields has been boring during his UFC stint and hasnt slaughtered anyone, Akiyama was his most exciting fight and that was a snoozer

and maia went on a tear when he first got to the UFC and then faltered when he met top ranked opposition, who's to say that wont happen again? i hope it wont because i like Maia but his WW run isnt anything special at the moment, DHK was a freak occurence, albeit from a takedown, Storey isnt top level, Fitch was a good result but Fitch also got choked out in his next fight while Maia couldnt get anything close in 3 full rounds.

Maia v Anderson result only looks good on paper, if you saw that fight you'dve seen Maia doing very little in that fight, it only went the distance because Silva let it go the distance

Rory's dominant due to his combination of size and skill. Demian's last 2 opponents aren't exactly known for their defensive grappling/takedown defense so he was going to fuck them up/control them on the ground no matter what. Shields has been hardly dominant at WW with his controversial win over Kampmann, loss to GSP, loss to Berger and controversial win over T-Wood. Voelker was just not on the same level of Lawler in their fight and Koscheck was getting some good wrestling off on Lawler before the knee to the body and sprawl that led to the vicious GnP. The only one that's really been getting away with their size out of the 4 you mentioned is Rory but he definitely has the skill to back up his size advantage.

I believe Rory has no choice but to go up in weight after his next few fights. It's already been talked about, but his frame has definitely become a lot larger than that of an average welter. I forget which interview, maybe one on MMA Hour, but he has already expressed interest in going up soon. I still remember him effortlessly German suplexing Nate Diaz all over the place.

This reminds me. Do you remember in Nick's infamous video response to Mayhem, the part where he says "Why are you pickin' on the smaller guy anyway?" He went through great lengths to get Miller to come down to his weight, but it never happened. He was also asked several times if he wanted to fight Lawler again and his response was always no.

About Demian, I feel he has tougher fights at middle weight. This stuff he's doing now seems to be so below his skill level. His domination over Rick wasn't normal to me. I mean, Rick posed literally no threat to him in any aspect of that fight. Fitch also got manhandled in a way we've never seen before. Demian will likely go straight to the top of this division if he gets past Shields imo.

I agree about Jake to a certain extent, but then again, he's been busted for peds, had his dad die, etc. I think he's slowly finding his groove again and should probably start looking impressive again pretty soon.

Georges is an amazing fighter, but I would think Demian would prove to be too much even for him. After all, he's always saying in interviews how he wanted Anderson to come down in weight to fight him. Demian has already fought Anderson at Anderson's normal weight, and did pretty damn good too. Also took Weidman to a decision. That would be an extremely difficult fight for GSP.

Yes because GSP can't get big enough to fight at 185. He won't be fighting 185 Maia, he will be fighting 170 Maia. It's an exciting matchup, one of the few fights that are interesting I think.

As long as they make the weight without negative repercussions I don't see the big deal.

Pretty much. That's the sport.

Jones/Gus are big LHW, Rumble was a gargantuan WW, Tibau is massive at LW....but they make the limit at the weigh-ins (well, maybe not Rumble /wink) so that's where they fight.

Not a difficult concept.

in order of how you listed them....

no, no, yes, no.

I thought Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax were the big four ??

Lawler has the power of a LHW shit is not even fair lol.

Just seems they're ridiculously dominant, with the exception of Shields' fluke KO at the hands of Ellenberger. Demian has been absolutely slaughtering people in this weight class so far.

i see what you're getting at ts but until they have same day weigh-ins (which would be awesome) then there will always be biiiiig guys at each weight class. BUT an average ww in gsp is tooling everyone in his division thus far.

also, cain and jds are smaller hw's

If you can make the cut without hurting yourself, or diminishing your power/speed/etc... then why not? If your not doing it somebody else is.

On that note i often wonder how Siver makes 145.....ridiculus.

Rory, Demian, Shields, and Lawler. They all need to go to middle weight where they rightfully belong. Especially Robbie. He looked massive next to Kos. You'll agree with me once you see these four completely dominating the entire welter division and everything gets stale/boring.

Hahahaha.

Now, I see Maia wrecking most of the division for sure, and I understand the Lawlor hype with his monster power (not that he's particularly consistent) and Rory is highly skilled if a little overrated still.

But, Jake Sheilds? Please bro. You almost had us.

Back