The best/worst presentations of MARVEL villains in film

Best

Hela (Thor: Ragnarok) - They made her so badass.

tumblr_oxtlovmadC1svfiimo2_540.gif

BothApprehensiveGibbon-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier) - Pretty cool how they introduced him.
giphy.gif

5-lh5C.gif

Worst

Dormammu (Dr Strange) - All that hype and he looks like a piece of wood who begs Dr Strange
Areajugones-Doctor-Strange-Dormammu-e1486483429142-810x400.jpg

Apocalypse (X:MEN Apocalypse) - Not part of MCU but highly disappointing. He sucked too
x-men-apocalypse-final-1931-180246.jpg

Hela looked good, but she wasn't threatening at all. Cate Blanchett is a good actress, but she just camped it up a lot like she was playing a villain in Batman Forever. Wasn't impressed.

Some of the best Marvel villains were not even costumed. I'm thinking Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) in Winter Soldier and Helmut Zemo in Civil War.

Purple Man from Jessica Jones is probably the goat MCU villain up to now. Not much to look at as far as presentation goes, but damn

Galactus and Mandarin have been the worst.

Followed by Ultron and all the Dr Dooms and Apocalyse.

I thought Red Skull sucked, too.

Edit: @House by the Cemetery dropping that OG Deadpool lol. He’s in Galactus/Mandarin territory.

Kingpin in Daredevil Season 1 is as good as Purple Man. Maybe better. Vincent D'nofrio crushes it.

Agreed that every presentation of Doom has sucked. Galactus was a disgrace.

I think Red Skull was ok. I think he could have been even better in the more realistic tone/setting of the 2nd and 3rd Captain America movies.

The worst: Jessie Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. That fucking sucked, period.

Best... Hmm.. All women in tight suits do it for me.

MadSquabbles500 post: 138491523 said:
Stephen Dorff as Deacon Frost is underrated performance.

Pretty much the best.

Ronan, hela, ultron, green goblin from first spiderman arent so bad either as they got their kicks in.

Im hoping thanos lives up to the hype.

Worst:

Galactus

Dormmamu

Apocalypse (but his dialogue wasnt so bad)

Apocalypse was the worst easily. They took one of the most powerful villains ever created and made him into some kind of blue pansy. I thought they were downplaying him on purpose at first but he kept getting more and more lame as the movie went on.

I really liked Fassbender's Magneto in first class. He was probably more of an anti-hero than a villain.

upload_2018-2-13_0-44-24.jpeg
Epic intro, shitty execution....

upload_2018-2-13_0-45-1.jpeg
Looked like a backup dancer for Madonna....

upload_2018-2-13_0-49-31.jpeg
This guy incredibly sucked in all aspects....

upload_2018-2-13_0-50-40.jpeg
The cartoon version had more depth than this guy.

They have fucked up most villains badly to be honest.

The Winter Soldier is one of the best in my opinion, I personally would have preferred it if he wasn't Bucky Barnes and an actual elite assassin who hunts Cap but he is still cool and that bridge scene is amazing.

Thanos so far looks amazing and the best.

I could write a book on the shit ones but they REALLY fucked Apocalypse and Galactus and Ultron and Dracula/Drake and well you get it.

For me though Ultron was probably the worst because he was a threat in no way at any point and it was sad because he looked so cool and Spader voice him perfect.

Oh yeah, Elf cunt from Thor was horrendous aswell.

not MCU, but I think the best Marvel movie villain is Deacon Frost

sue me, that was one swaggy manlet

I cosign that sentiment.

What's funny is that out of my top 10 Marvel villain list (so far), the Blade franchise locked down 2 spots.

Frost is one. And the other is none other than...

This guy.
VagueIdolizedCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

Nomak was a boss.

even ignoring the Black Panther 'first black hero' stuff, the lack of Blade I and II being discussed in overall comic book movie lore is sickening (not this site, just in general). Both of those movies are absolutely tremendous, especially given the environment they came out in and lack of success in superhero movies up to that pt

then you had Donnie Yen doing the choreography for Blade II, and people sit there w/ a straight face and say Winter Soldier had the best fight scenes. what?

People forget many things in general.

You didn't like Wesley as Blade?

It was a cool movie.

I will be using that gif a lot now.

Apocalypse was the worst easily. They took one of the most powerful villains ever created and made him into some kind of blue pansy. I thought they were downplaying him on purpose at first but he kept getting more and more lame as the movie went on.

I really liked Fassbender's Magneto in first class. He was probably more of an anti-hero than a villain.

When I first saw the end credits scene in DoFP I thought "wow looks like we finally get a good Apocalypse in movie form." Him effortlessly building the pyramid with telekenisis.

Instead all he really did was entomb a few people in walls and convince a few heroes to join his side. He didn't even kill any heroes. After the slaughter that was DoFP he just seemed like much less of a threat than the Sentinels.

And to add insult to injury he gets killed in the end by fucking Sophie Turner after a pep talk. Again they do a total half assed job explaining the Phoenix force so to people not privy to the comics it just looks like some middle of the road powered mutant blows him away no problem.

even ignoring the Black Panther 'first black hero' stuff, the lack of Blade I and II being discussed in overall comic book movie lore is sickening (not this site, just in general). Both of those movies are absolutely tremendous, especially given the environment they came out in and lack of success in superhero movies up to that pt

then you had Donnie Yen doing the choreography for Blade II, and people sit there w/ a straight face and say Winter Soldier had the best fight scenes. what?
Yen walking down the path in that sewer scene pointing up at those vamp creatures all nonchalantly. Just waiting for a bit of the old slice and dice. That part looked so freaking badass. Underrated movie in general, but especially that.

Purple Man from Jessica Jones is probably the goat MCU villain up to now. Not much to look at as far as presentation goes, but damn

Galactus and Mandarin have been the worst.

Followed by Ultron and all the Dr Dooms and Apocalyse.

I thought Red Skull sucked, too.

Edit: @House by the Cemetery dropping that OG Deadpool lol. He’s in Galactus/Mandarin territory.

shutdown-red-skull-bitch-please.jpg

When I first saw the end credits scene in DoFP I thought "wow looks like we finally get a good Apocalypse in movie form." Him effortlessly building the pyramid with telekenisis.

Instead all he really did was entomb a few people in walls and convince a few heroes to join his side. He didn't even kill any heroes. After the slaughter that was DoFP he just seemed like much less of a threat than the Sentinels.

And to add insult to injury he gets killed in the end by fucking Sophie Turner after a pep talk. Again they do a total half assed job explaining the Phoenix force so to people not privy to the comics it just looks like some middle of the road powered mutant blows him away no problem.

He did next to nothing in the whole movie, nothing worth remembering any way. What a wasted opportunity, they should have built him up and made him seem indestructible throughout the movie.

In the animated version he would take on the whole X-men team on his own and make it look easy. I'd have to go back and watch that again, but i know they created an aura of invincibility around him.

This guy would probably lose in a fist fight with professor X.

Loved the bar scene in First Class. That was basically James Bond with Superpowers, right down to Magneto turning and firing the gun straight into the camera:cool:

(Eric reads the inscription on the dagger the Nazi had tried to stab him with)

"Blood and Honour...which do you want to shed first?"

Nazi, "We were under orders!"

Eric, "Blood, then"(Pins Nazi's hand to the table with his own dagger).

Right on, man.

tumblr_omtqrvjs1x1w2bdzmo5_250.gif

Blade revived the genre, after the screw up of Batman movies. As did Batman 1989 before that, and Iron Man with the current (and the longest lasting) wave.

In all honesty, it was a long time ago. People forget rather soon, especially with all the superhero content out there currently. Per year per studio (DC and Marvel) we have 2-3 live action movies, 1-2 animated movies and 2-3 TV shows (with new coming out all the time).

So Blade 2 seems like it was 20 years ago... Wait... Whew, only 16 years past. Wait...

They straight up disrespected Ultron and the mandarin that's why those stick out badly. Blade got it right on the first 2 as it's been said and Cap movies also had good bad guys. Honorable mention to a non film in the Kingpin on Daredevil.

I don't think most people realized Blade was a comic book movie.
It definitely didn't look like one, especially back then.
It was Snipes, vampires, guns, and karate.
1 and 2 don't get enough props, but they're hardly talked about when talking comic movies because they didn't feel comic book movies. They're more remembered for their action and horror

Back