The best Wire theme song

1, 2, 4, 5, 3.

1 just sounds the best.

Tom Waits for me, easily.

Voice is perfect.

Since I was a fan long before the show used the song I had to vote for Tom Waits.

S1 gets the edge over S5 because of this:

Tom Waits all day

I remember watching some season 2 with a chick, and she had the funniest line when I told her who was singing it.

"Wait, that guy singing is WHITE?!?"

:D

My favorite version of the song from is the 3rd seasons, but I most strongly associate the first season version with the show itself

I loved season 2's intro theme . I think that one is the best imo. Season 4's theme comes to a close second.

i fell asleep to a dvd of season 4 once - it was just "wayyy down in the hole" on loop; subconsciously listening to that for 5 hours

i now hate the song.

love the show.

I love the Wire.

But disappointed that the
thread isn't about "best
Wire songs"

Them lyrics though
"I haven't found a measure
yet, to... to calibrate my
displeasure yet, so...

Season 1 theme beats season 2 theme narrowly. Or maybe the other way around, can't decide.

I just listened to all of the songs again. The Waits one is definitely my clear favourite, and Steve Earle's version is last for me, but second place to fourth is surprisingly unclear. I think it goes Blind Boys, DoMaJa and Neville, but I like the percussion of the Neville version very good, even if the rest of the song is a little weaker. I'm sticking to my season ranking of 2, 1, 4, 3, 5 of last year, but the three middle ones are close to interchangeable for me, for vastly different reasons.

Now, I know that the same theme song in different versions is done on other shows as well, but I think it's incredibly appropriate for The Wire, considering that one of the major themes is "same shit, but different".

Season 1. I could hardly tolerate any others, except maybe 5, but quickly forgot that one.

Back