The best way Cowboy has to win

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by GoatArtemLobov, Jan 11, 2020.

1. GoatArtemLobov Yellow Card Yellow Card

is basically to not throw the right hand at all. Not at all!!!
    Right hand sticked to the face no matter what.
    IMO he has to fight Conor using long range weapons, which he obviously has (kicks, knees, jab).
    The best option he has is bringing it to the later rounds kicking and jabbing from the outside and then once Conor starts to get tired and thus to lose the touch of death left hand (which he will) trying to wrestle, taking him down and submitting him or gnping from there.

If he stays disciplined and doesn't throw the right hand at all no matter what, his chances to win are very high IMO.

2. POWER2 My name is Power²

3. Bob Lazar White Belt

I don't know, the old man at the bar didn't need to keep his hands up...

4. Jarvan Brown Belt

guy

a right hand on the chin doesn't block a left down the pipe

boxing nor mma

5. GoatArtemLobov Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'm not saying it's 100% sure Conor doesn't touch him if he keeps his right hand on the chin but it significantly decreases its likelyhood.

6. ulysse Life is tough ; Life is good

Grab him, wrestle him, make him tired, than BJJ nightmare

7. Jarvan Brown Belt

I get your concern, but still no.
    Actually, planting the hand there constantly would make him more vulnerable by limiting his offense and movement

head movement and distance control would help though.

8. Jarvan Brown Belt

then*

and Cerrone is a guard guy

9. GoatArtemLobov Yellow Card Yellow Card

Maybe you say it just for fun but in case you don't let me say to you and to all people doubting Conor's power against non-manlets that you are all very mistaken.
    Conor has a tremendous amount of power in that left hand, he dropped fucking iron chin Nate Diaz harder with his left hand than Mas with a low kick to the tempo, and even Poirier, who fought Gaethje, said noone has ever hit him as hard as Conor.

10. johncola Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I agree hat throwing the right is likely to get Cowboy into trouble. But I don't know that he has that many other options because he relies on his combos. Yeah, Cowboy has good striking, dangerous kicks, great takedowns, and a great ground game. But I think to get any of that shit going he needs firstly to not be constantly pressued (like Conor will do), and secondly openings to chain punches and kicks and takedowns all together (and I don't think Conor will allow him them openings).

If Cowboy is capable of it, I think a Diaz-esque rope-a-dope (if you wanna call it that) approach would be best. Early in the fight, he needs to be conservate and be on his bike, minimize his own offense to try and minimize Conor's. Survive by any means necessary. Then late round 2, start opening up with the kicks. From there he'll be able to throw more generally or even attempt takedowns, on a tiring Conor.

11. nostradumbass Steel Belt

Knees aren't a long range weapon. He'd be smart to throw a lot of teeps and front kicks and clinch him whenever it gets to punching range.

12. ulysse Life is tough ; Life is good

Don't underestimate Cerone BJJ, he is not limited to the guard. And he have a good ground and pound chance as well. This would be my guess, rather then trying to move around in Gregor McConor is strength ;)

13. GoatArtemLobov Yellow Card Yellow Card

Conor is just too good at playing with distance, especially in the early rounds.
    There is nothing boxingwise that Cerrone can do against Conor.
    He has to refuse to engage in boxing at all costs, so I would forget about headmovement etc.
    As soon as this fight was announced, I thought this would be the way for Cowboy to win.
    Btw, Zahabi said the exact same thing on his podcast.
    Usually Conor was fighting smaller wrestlers who had to chase him, allowing Conor to fight as a counterpuncher and thus leaving themselves open for the left hand.
    Cowboy hasn't to do that.
    He is taller than Conor and has better overall long range weapons.
    He can simply stay on the outside waiting for Conor to gas out and lose that left hand.

14. Doctor Lenovo Banned Banned

His best way to win is (1) Not be scared and (2) Trust his experience and skills. Cowboy Cerone has more skills and experience than Conor McGregor. Based on this, he should be the favorite in this fight. He isn't because most of us don't have confidence in his mentality. LOL

15. GoatArtemLobov Yellow Card Yellow Card

We are trying to establish a strategy, what we would do if we were Cowboy.
    I get that neither Cowboy nor his coaches need us but who needs Sherdog anyway? we are just speculating for fun...
    "Be confident and trust your skills" is not a strategy bro.

16. Ether13 Purple Belt

The only way Cowboy loses this fight is if he chooses to.
    People are delusional about Conor. He was great at a lower weight class years ago.

17. Jarvan Brown Belt

name one fight cerrone won by ground and pound, or a submission from top
    I'm not underestimating his bjj, your assessment is just all over the place

18. GoatArtemLobov Yellow Card Yellow Card

He might have ring rust but you can't out count him, he is one of the best mma boxers ever and that left hand is deadly even at WW, knocking down Diaz multiple times with punches is super impressive.

19. Wicked_1 Brown Belt

That may work. I think circling away from the left and making Conor chase him...not allowing Conor to be a counter puncher, which he is great at, until conor tires is a good plan. Conor will gas after 3 rounds, and assuming the fight is 5 being a main event, tho I dont know if it is a 5 rounder, making it to the 4th is cowboys best chance.
    I dont think he is at a level on tds to get Conor down early. I dont think he can successfully clinch and tire Conor against the cage either during the first 3. Donald has very good kicks, but they do use a lot of energy. He should resist throwing to many until later in the fight with the exception of leg kicks. Use them to open up the high kick later in the fight. He should also look for an opportunity to get Conor to the ground after the 2nd round but not push too hard for it until the 4th. If Conor isn't tired I dont see donald taking him down unless Conor gets wobbled somehow.
    Cowboy has a shit, but I'm not so sure he won't just go in trying to please the fans. He isn't an legit challenger for the belt at this point, so being calculating and using such a gameplan may not be in his mind at all. He also may believe he can knock Conor out. He should want to win, because he will get another red panty night in the rematch conor will insist upon
    I guess it depends on cowboys thoughts on how long he wants to fight and if he even cares about winning, or it's all about the check. When I know he drinks budcraper even while training and doing camps, I cant think he takes it too seriously or cares about winning and moving up the ladder.

20. ulysse Life is tough ; Life is good

ok, My assessment was not tight, but not all over the place.
    Cerone needs to close distance in order to get McConnor to the ground.
    He can hurt him many ways down there, and he can summit him wherever he wants.
    quick Examples ; triangle the other cowboy ; Alex Oliveira. Chock Barboza.
    quick Examples GnP ; Charles Oliviera, Kelly,