The BEST retirements in MMA history

MARK MUNOZ's was perfect.

In the Philippeans. Gets the win. The interviewer gave him the mic which I thought was really nice. Perfect speech. And great final imagery of him leaving the gloves in the octagon (faber should have done that).
Good one, I don't think I saw it live - so I've never seen the post fight interview
but I remember the picture and the talk after

rickson gracie retired pretty well

42 YO dominating a top 10 oponent in front of a huge crowd
(funaki entered the fight dressed as a samurai - and lost as a samurai without tapping)

rickson retired unbeaten 11-0

all fights by sub

that was IMHO the beggining of the end of the old shcool of MMA where fights were style vs style

inb4 400-0 BS

rickson bless
FUCK HATERS

rickson gracie retired pretty well

42 YO dominating a top 10 oponent in front of a huge crowd
(funaki entered the fight dressed as a samurai - and lost as a samurai without tapping)

rickson retired unbeaten 11-0

all fights by sub

that was IMHO the beggining of the end of the old shcool of MMA where fights were style vs style

inb4 400-0 BS

rickson bless
FUCK HATERS
Bullshit, he ducked the Bas.

(I know his son died though so I don't actually blame him)

Bas would have fucked him up in Pride though

Bullshit, he ducked the Bas.

(I know his son died though so I don't actually blame him)

Bas would have fucked him up in Pride though
he also ducked sakuraba

that´s not my point

this thread seems to be about retirement fights

rickson did well in that

he also built an aura arround his figure wich worked for some time

again, that was another era of MMA

rickson simply made his movements (AKA chose his fights) to exploit his brand

Randy's retirement fight - if you don't win at least create an epic highlight:

Front-Kick-KO.gif
No shame in getting your lights turned off by a kick taught by Master Segal.

GSP.

Defend his title (little controversial but who cares). Retires at 32 in GOAT talks, young, attractive, rich and everybody loves him (besides internet trolls).

I hope he does not come back and go straight to Hollywood. He is the posterboy of what a MMA fighter should be.

GSP.

Defend his title (little controversial but who cares). Retires at 32 in GOAT talks, young, attractive, rich and everybody loves him (besides internet trolls).

I hope he does not come back and go straight to Hollywood. He is the posterboy of what a MMA fighter should be.
I give GSP a nod
A bit muddled since we didn't know if it was permanent or not - plus the fight itself was a bit of a controversy which eclipsed the story

But that's a good one
If he did go out, he went out like a champion with the belt

No Hendo love?

Fights for the title, drops Bisping several times and made an exciting somewhat competitive fight against the champ he was obviously pitted to lose against. The guy represented his MMA career as a whole in that fight and went out with his cast iron chin held high

I give GSP a nod
A bit muddled since we didn't know if it was permanent or not - plus the fight itself was a bit of a controversy which eclipsed the story

But that's a good one
If he did go out, he went out like a champion with the belt
Agree. And you have to add that he annoyed Dana pretty good that night.

No Hendo love?

Fights for the title, drops Bisping several times and made an exciting somewhat competitive fight against the champ he was obviously pitted to lose against. The guy represented his MMA career as a whole in that fight and went out with his cast iron chin held high
TBH the TS was handed to him and he was getting his ass beat a lot before that.

Let alone the Boestch fight and Hendo has not had a good performance since 2011. Even in his other 2 wins (Shogun and Lombard) he was getting beat up before the finishes.

MARK MUNOZ's was perfect.

In the Philippeans. Gets the win. The interviewer gave him the mic which I thought was really nice. Perfect speech. And great final imagery of him leaving the gloves in the octagon (faber should have done that).

Came here for this. Amazing moment for a great guy.

Dan Henderson vs Michael Bisping, fightwise maybe not, it was fuckin boring.But Henderson won that fight and it wasn't a bad way to retire!Go HENDO!!!

Would've been good if Fedor has stayed retired after the Rizzo fight

Nah. Uriah's was good and all but it's next to impossible to top Lytle's. If Hendo had knocked out Bisping, that would have been the ultimate retirement though
Hendo made that fight way closer than I was expecting. If he KO'd Bisping and went out with UFC gold, he'd have GOAT retirement for sure.

GSP retired as champ and one of the GOAT. Can't beat that.

When McGregor retired, remember thee "thanks for the cheese"

Back