The Best Places to Eat Along California’s Scenic Highway 1

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The list
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...-1-road-trip-where-to-eat-in-big-sur-and-more

Ive only eating at these two places on that list and yes they were good. But there are many good food places these are just the trendy and popular places for tourists.

La Super-Rica Tacqueria
800x-1.jpg

Santa Barbara Shellfish Co

1400x-1.jpg

These two places have Amazing views of the California coast

800x-1.jpg

800x-1.jpg

I was always told if the restaurant has a view, the food suffers
Because they can get away with it

Sounds like something someone would say in a greasy spoon in an alley.

we actually have a pretty crappy brewery with a beach view in long beach that gets good business despite having subpar beer compared to other breweries here.

If you’re on the north coast, The Little River Inn just two miles south of Mendocino is fucking fantastic.

It is literally on highway 1. You just turn off into their parking lot.

Duartes tavern(pescadero), highway 1 brewery(in Davenport), whale city bakery(Davenport - food ain't great but they got a taco Thursday with live music, cheap beer $1-2 coronas, white people taco plates for like $3-5)

There's some Indian restaurant on the PCH somewhere in Norcal....wish I could remember where it was or what the name of the place was but I can't...I think it was near Half Moon Bay but not sure....and I was very skeptical when we stopped to eat there. And the place stank like curry. But man that was some of the best food I've ever had. I don't even know what half of it was, but it was awesome.

Maybe throw a Like up on my post, to show your good intentions?

;)

we actually have a pretty crappy brewery with a beach view in long beach that gets good business despite having subpar beer compared to other breweries here.

Yeh my original comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time, i think it has a kernal of truth. It porbably comes about moreso from the Tourist trap type places who develop something really fancy like a restaurant or attraction on top of a mountain / beach / whatever then use that to market the place as opposed to the quality of the food.

There is a revolving restaurant on the top floor of a building in my city which definitely falls into this category. Great views, whole restaurant revolves which is fun. But they market themselves as a fine dining experience, whereas in reality they are a 4* job on their best day.

OP's first place doesn't seem to meet that category, looks pretty authentic. I'd like to eat there.
The shellfish place seems like it is trying a bit hard to be 'authentic' and it would be crap.
That firepit lounge looking over the golf course looks like a beautiful place to spend a few hours drinking though.

@TidWell what did you order at each place, what did you drink, and give it a rating out of 10.

this is very true, thats why I said they have amazing views lol, not sure about the food but people probably pay and arm and a leg thinking the food is good just for that beautiful view

I lived a block from the beach in Santa Barbara and in Ventura for 3 years, I honestly think the PCH looks depressing as fuck when compared to coastlines in other countries. Mediterranean...South Africa etc.

;)

OP's first place doesn't seem to meet that category, looks pretty authentic. I'd like to eat there.
The shellfish place seems like it is trying a bit hard to be 'authentic' and it would be crap.
That firepit lounge looking over the golf course looks like a beautiful place to spend a few hours drinking though.

@TidWell what did you order at each place, what did you drink, and give it a rating out of 10.
La Super-Rica Tacqueria is okay, the food is not that expensive fairly cheap under 10 bucks they have tacos for like 2 bucks.

I usually just get tacos but last time I went they were very stingy and it wasn;t the same its in Santa Barbara, which is one of the beautiful areas of California a lot of rich people live there and in Montecito near by.

Shellfish Co is great
, but crowded they have good chowder and crab meals and spiny lobster, I REALLY liked it, its very popular.

Id eat there again, its really good and top quality for affordable price, very nice area too and view Santa Barbara.

here are a few pics of shellfish co meals from yelp so you have an idea its really good food no lie I kinda miss it but I don't travel out there any more.

spiney lobster meal
o.jpg

Clam linguini pasta
o.jpg

Lobster roll sandwich
o.jpg

my favorite though is Shamrock seafood tacos at the San Pedro Fish Market Grille in Wilmington next the San Pedro very affordable and good fish tacos for cheap.

They have taco Thursday their fish taco is my hands down favorite, its not dripping with grease like most fish taco places, the fish has white meat and the coating or breading is nice and crispy its not that beer batter cheap stuff.

I lived a block from the beach in Santa Barbara and in Ventura for 3 years, I honestly think the PCH looks depressing as fuck when compared to coastlines in other countries. Mediterranean...South Africa etc.

And yet people keep wanting to move out here and live here, a lot of European actors as well love living in Santa Barbara and those areas like Big sur
BigSur_Header_1503681658.jpg

And yet people keep wanting to move out here and live here, a lot of European actors as well love living in Santa Barbara and those areas like Big sur
BigSur_Header_1503681658.jpg

It's my opinion- just mine, never said it wasnt a popular living or tourist destination. I thought it was fucking boring- but then again I don't surf or anything like that.

The whole coastline is super protected that you can't 'have fun'. No fires on beaches, no bars next to beaches. Shit, I had a 4 month old pup in the middle of a beach, a random part of the 101, and we were sitting in the sand for 30mins...a guy drove from 4 miles away to tell us we couldnt have a dog on the beach because of the rules lol. Great (!)

It's my opinion- just mine, never said it wasnt a popular living or tourist destination. I thought it was fucking boring- but then again I don't surf or anything like that.

The whole coastline is super protected that you can't 'have fun'. No fires on beaches, no bars next to beaches. Shit, I had a 4 month old pup in the middle of a beach, a random part of the 101, and we were sitting in the sand for 30mins...a guy drove from 4 miles away to tell us we couldnt have a dog on the beach because of the rules lol. Great (!)
Rich people dont want people loittering and littering their beaches, look how dirty long beach and venice and santa monica is people just have no respect for the environment.

Back