The best fighter in the world is a BJJ white belt

I don't buy that he is a white belt. Judo black belts often start out in BJJ with a blue belt. I can't imagine Jon at this point not being at least at a purple level.
Well, what do you expect? He only started training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (which is performed in a gi) last March. Nogi is different.

In a fools world. Jones would KO him from top or bottom.
Well, if the farcical match-up of Renan Barao vs. Jon Jones was booked tomorrow, yes.

You people all severely overestimate a wrestler's ability to create space for GnP though. Wrestling is not the best base for mma because it has no answer for the guard. What the fuck is he gonna do if I pull on his head and destroy his posture, push my back into the mat?

Just because shitbag judges who don't understand guard have fooled you into thinking "wrestler laying in top half of neutral position = 10-9" does not mean the guard isn't actually effective.

And maybe you don't want to wind up on your back in a street fight, but if you do then it's better to be able to sweep someone standing over you, or tear apart his knees with heel hooks than otherwise.

Last edited:
Jones probably trains no-gi most of the time, which I believe doesn't normally grade students with belts. Matt Hughes wasn't (isn't?) a black belt but he's still a black belt level.

I could be wrong though. I'm not Mr. Jiu-Jitsu knowledge over here.

Kinda funny how a guy like rogan would probably submit jones in a bjj match but in an actual fight jones would destroy him badly, funny how back when royce gracie was dominating the scene people thought that bjj was the is all end all martial art.

Rogan would not submit Jones in a bjj match, gi or no-gi, Rogan would have no chance. You have to be crazy to think otherwise.

On topic, the best fighter in the world is cain.

In pure GI BJJ he's a white belt. And it's because he's too busy training MMA grappling to train straight BJJ.

A lot of great fighters in MMA are not officially ranked in BJJ or other martial arts that they practice.

This is not much different than GSP's amazing wrestling skills despite having no credentials.

It doesn't mean Jones does not practice BJJ every day, its just that most of his training must be no-gi and mixed in with some wrestling.

In order to go up in rank in BJJ you, ideally, have to train pure BJJ with a gi under BJJ rules by a qualified instructor. If your trainer's main focus is not to train you in pure, traditional BJJ then its likely that he won't bother promoting you regardless of your skill level.

the best fighter in the world is able to tap out black belts.

he's the fuckin red belt of eye-poking, though...... jk, I'm a bones fan

Summed up response

You should have went with Maia, or someone with more weight lol. If Renan was on Jones, he just throws him around like he's 50 lbs smaller. In a grappling match, sure it would be hell but not if striking is allowed.

Well, if the farcical match-up of Renan Barao vs. Jon Jones was booked tomorrow, yes.

You people all severely overestimate a wrestler's ability to create space for GnP though. Wrestling is not the best base for mma because it has no answer for the guard. What the fuck is he gonna do if I pull on his head and destroy his posture, push my back into the mat?

Just because shitbag judges who don't understand guard have fooled you into thinking "wrestler laying in top half of neutral position = 10-9" does not mean the guard isn't actually effective.

And maybe you don't want to wind up on your back in a street fight, but if you do then it's better to be able to sweep someone standing over you, or tear apart his knees with heel hooks than otherwise.

If there is a best base for MMA, it's definitely wrestling. Other than that, I agree with what you said.

He choked out a black belt, put an Americana on a black belt. He's a white belt in technical terms only.

Lol, I guess he never trained in a gi. Anyone who thinks he is really a white belt though is an idiot

White belt soon to be red, from all the eye balls.

Pathetic people ITT. Yes, he is currently the best figther in the world (except mayybe Cain). Get over it.

And yes, it is mind blowing how good he is.

Kinda funny how a guy like rogan would probably submit jones in a bjj match but in an actual fight jones would destroy him badly, funny how back when royce gracie was dominating the scene people thought that bjj was the is all end all martial art.

None of these things are funny. I want my money back.

Back