The best fight ever

Great fight.

But not even the best of this decade.

I like Barrera vs. Morales 1 and Rafael Marquez vs. Israel Vazquez 3, for the best fights of this decade.

There are a lot of better fights than this one.

Like:

Wilfredo Gomez vs Lupe Pintor
Saman Sorjaturong vs. Humberto Gonzales
Paul Banke vs. Daniel Zaragoza 2
Danny Lopez vs. Mike Ayala
Ray Mancini vs. Deuk-Koo Kim
Pacquiao vs. Marquez 2
Bobby Chacon vs. Rafael Limon 4
Floyd Patterson vs. Ingemar Johansson 3

Gatti - Ward I.

I love Corrales Castillo I, but it just wasn't as pitched at Gatti - Ward I. Gatti and Ward were landing some of the most ridiculous combinations on eachothers face it didn't make any sense. Gatti especially; he may not have been that great of a fighter technically speaking, but the man could put together some of the most picturesque highlight reel combinations, some of the combos they threw in one round was more than what most fighters can put together in their whole career.

5-6-7 punch mixup combinations of nothing but power shots. The 6 punch combo Ward planted on Gatti with 44 seconds in the 9th round left was just unbelievable, almost as unbelievable as Gatti standing there and taking ALL OF IT.

God that fight was so epic.

I really don't know what's so amazing about this fight.

The end was crazy, yes. But the whole fight didn't have that much action or drama.

you need to rewatch the fight then. it was two HIGH level guys standing in front of each other throwing power shots, without one clinch. at the end of several rounds one would seem to be getting the advantage only to see it evaporate at the start of the next round. the ending was hollywood scripted and anyone who says there was neither action or drama doesn't know what they're talking about, period.

I remember the 10th round being insane in this fight. In fact, I think it got round of the year in RING magazine

you need to rewatch the fight then. it was two HIGH level guys standing in front of each other throwing power shots, without one clinch. at the end of several rounds one would seem to be getting the advantage only to see it evaporate at the start of the next round. the ending was hollywood scripted and anyone who says there was neither action or drama doesn't know what they're talking about, period.

There were some clinches. And the work rate does not come close to what Barrera and Morales threw at each other.

They were top level guys, yes. Barrera and Morales are better? Yes. Much Better, IMO all time greats and future hall-of-fame first ballot members.

That fight was just insane, both men trowing REAL bombs (Both are much harder punchers for the weight than Corrales and Castillo) from the start to the finish in every round.

Then there was that 5th round. Morales hurt Barrera with a huge right and followed up with almost 20 clean shots, suddenly when it looks its all over, Barrera comes back and almost knocks Morales down himself. Crazy.

Coming to the end, the fight was dead even. Barrera turned it up, hurt and dropped Morales.

Morales was awarded the victory, that ruined it a little bit for me, but the fight itself was wonderfull.

Gatti - Ward I.

I love Corrales Castillo I, but it just wasn't as pitched at Gatti - Ward I. Gatti and Ward were landing some of the most ridiculous combinations on eachothers face it didn't make any sense. Gatti especially; he may not have been that great of a fighter technically speaking, but the man could put together some of the most picturesque highlight reel combinations, some of the combos they threw in one round was more than what most fighters can put together in their whole career.

Gatti is always a good fight until he has 40 cuts and the fight gets stopped.

Back