The Best Cruise You'll Go On All Year

TheHereticJay

I scoff at your belt rankings
@Brown
Reaction score
So, just saw a cruise with Andre Galvao, Ribero brothers, and more... check this out.

http://grapplersescape.com/company/

So bummed that I won't be in the states to take advantage of this! Prices start at just $600/person

That's just for the cabin price. If you want to participate in the jiujitsu events which would be a big reason of going on this cruise, you'll have to shell out an additional $897. Also there's taxes/gratuity. I think minimum you'll pay is $1,697 if you go with the jiujitsu package.

That sounds horrible. I hate cruises....

Isn't the goal of a cruise to eat until you feel like dying, get liquored up and start eating again? That seems counter intuitive to training

Isn't the goal of a cruise to eat until you feel like dying, get liquored up and start eating again? That seems counter intuitive to training

Well now the purpose is to train until you feel like dying, get liquored up and start training again.

I may be going...

$897 for a five day camp is a little pricey. That should include a private lesson or something.

$897 for a five day camp is a little pricey. That should include a private lesson or something.

B-b-b-but it's on a big boat . . . for some reason.

I never understood cruises. They seem to be vacations for fat, rich, old bastards with no imagination or sense of adventure.

B-b-b-but it's on a big boat . . . for some reason.

I never understood cruises. They seem to be vacations for fat, rich, old bastards with no imagination or sense of adventure.

I'm with you on cruises, except the being rich part. Cruises vary from expensive to very very cheap.

I've never seen the appeal. My friends who go on cruises usually do so with their families. I think it's like you said, so they don't have to worry about seeking out things to do. It's a lazy man's vacation.

I'm with you on cruises, except the being rich part. Cruises vary from expensive to very very cheap.

I've never seen the appeal. My friends who go on cruises usually do so with their families. I think it's like you said, so they don't have to worry about seeking out things to do. It's a lazy man's vacation.

I go on cruises all the time. I constantly hear from people thats "its their worst nightmare", "I wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat", "its full of old people".

It is full of old people. Cant deny that one.

However , there is a HUGE potential for adventure on cruises, and its what you make of it. Yes there are the droves hoovering up the buffet and queing for bus tours when you reach a port but folks like me see the potential in waking up to a cornucopia of fresh nutritious food and then realising you're in a part of the world you've never been in before and getting out and exploring for yourself.

Most of the critics I speak to ("I wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat"), actually go to an all inclusive resort for two weeks and barely move from the pool bar other than a short stroll to a local market to buy some beads where they take all their pictures to make it look like they've been immersing themselves deep in the local culture.

So in November i snorkled, jetskiied, Ziplined, rockclimbed on shore and hit the gym on the ship nearly every day. I lost 3lbs on that cruise despite eating four times a day and drinking pirate levels of rum.

Vacation, like life, is up to you to make the most of. In my opinion, cruises are a fantastic base to go and explore the world. They aren't the best way, we know that is taking time to fully explore areas and live some of your life there. I've backpacked a lot and at 35 I'm more than happy to settle for a door that locks behind me and becomes a magical gateway to a new destination every morning rather than lugging a 30kg bag around on buses and trains listening to other "travellers" try to outdo each other with their stories.

Just dont knock it til you've tried it. You may pick up that I am a fan of cruises.

I totally agree - I am also very active, as is my missus. We used to travel around countries by plane/bus/train, including inter-railing, and have also gone on cruises. Don't see why a cruise is any different to inter-railing, except it is cheaper and easier. Plus now we have a kid, there is onboard cr

Dang... Big name bjj studs right there..

Cruises aren't bad. I had a lot of fun on the one I did go on. But I don't think they beat just traveling, as long as you're in places with good infrastructure. I had a lot more fun drinking my way across Europe with my wife than I did cruising. Plus you almost always have to fly to the port which is an additional cost, and booze usually isn't free on board.

i go on cruises all the time. I constantly hear from people thats "its their worst nightmare", "i wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat", "its full of old people".

It is full of old people. Cant deny that one.

However , there is a huge potential for adventure on cruises, and its what you make of it. Yes there are the droves hoovering up the buffet and queing for bus tours when you reach a port but folks like me see the potential in waking up to a cornucopia of fresh nutritious food and then realising you're in a part of the world you've never been in before and getting out and exploring for yourself.

Most of the critics i speak to ("i wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat"), actually go to an all inclusive resort for two weeks and barely move from the pool bar other than a short stroll to a local market to buy some beads where they take all their pictures to make it look like they've been immersing themselves deep in the local culture.

So in november i snorkled, jetskiied, ziplined, rockclimbed on shore and hit the gym on the ship nearly every day. I lost 3lbs on that cruise despite eating four times a day and drinking pirate levels of rum.

Vacation, like life, is up to you to make the most of. In my opinion, cruises are a fantastic base to go and explore the world. They aren't the best way, we know that is taking time to fully explore areas and live some of your life there. I've backpacked a lot and at 35 i'm more than happy to settle for a door that locks behind me and becomes a magical gateway to a new destination every morning rather than lugging a 30kg bag around on buses and trains listening to other "travellers" try to outdo each other with their stories.

Just dont knock it til you've tried it. You may pick up that i am a fan of cruises.

THIS!!!! But this is out of my price range.

I stopped reading when I saw they used the adjective "luxurious" to describe a Carnival ship.

I went on a cruise once (regular, not BJJ). It was fine.

The benefit to doing something like this is that it lets you travel to some nice places in the Caribbean and still have a place to train. You basically have a big floating hotel, and your hotel has a mat in it with a lot of high level guys. Good luck finding a hotel like that if you fly to the Caribbean.

Also, you can actually train and relax while you travel at sea. That airport time would normally be wasted. So if you really like travel and really like BJJ, it kind of makes sense.

and booze usually isn't free on board.

It is when you buy the $20 unlimited soda card and smuggle bags of liquor in with your luggage.

Not that I would know about that.

I get stressed out on vacation because I can't train. This would be awesome, even if it is expensive. Cruises seem like what you make of them. Some people spend their vacations sitting around a hotel, and going out to eat, how is this different? You still have the option to go to cool places when the boat docks, and in this instance, Andre Galvao is available to whoop your ass. Sounds awesome.

It is when you buy the $20 unlimited soda card and smuggle bags of liquor in with your luggage.

Not that I would know about that.

A lot of cruises use x ray equipment to capture smuggled booze

A lot of cruises use x ray equipment to capture smuggled booze

Yes. If you put a bottle of booze through the machine, the bottle shape will appear on the screen. Then they know what it is.

So you put the booze in a bag designed for it. Then it is just a shapeless bag looking thing which looks totally normal through the X ray.

It's just a regular X ray, not some special TSA alcohol detection equipment. They only know what it is if it looks like a bottle.

I drank all week for $20. It was great.

Just an idea in case anyone else going on a cruise wants to give it a shot.

Back