The best compromise for when UFC fighters face Boxers in Boxing...

Fifteen seconds on the ground or in the clinch then standup / separate. Maybe only upper body takedowns (to avoid someone spamming double legs and flopping). No kicks. Would make for hell of a exciting matches and fair.

Last edited:
However, there should still be a good compromise of what a Mixed Fight would look like, so that if a Pure Boxer and MMA Fighter wants to have a fight under the most equal possible terms, that there's a template for that to happen.

This is to allow something to happen in the most balanced possible way.

That's why they sign contracts. If an mma fighter wants to fight a boxer under mixed rules, good luck getting them to sign a contract. Again, if they feel the rules unfairly favor the boxer, don't sign the contract. It's so unbelievably simple.

Who gives a fuck?

are we gonna establishment special rules too for when Khabib wants to get out wrestled by Jordan Burroughs?

Boxing matches have no MMA relevancy and vice versa.
Yes they do. Holly Holm was a champion boxer and she became champ, Israel was a kickboxer and became champ. You are talking like one is soccer and one is ping pong.

Some skills are directly tranferable.

That being said, a kickboxer is breaking any boxers legs in a kicboxing match. Thats just stupid.

If you want a half way, just go boxing in mma gloves

While I agree on these counts, I also believe clinch and clinch striking should be fair game.

Why, so they would complain that they don't know what it is?
Or that some MMA fighter with minimal Greco will wall-n-stall their asses?

My set is minimal - they have all their sweet science (including forbidden one), just under different environment

That's why they sign contracts. If an mma fighter wants to fight a boxer under mixed rules, good luck getting them to sign a contract. Again, if they feel the rules unfairly favor the boxer, don't sign the contract. It's so unbelievably simple.

Yes, they "can", however there's a massive imbalance. I am talking about addressing this imbalance by examining a proper ruleset for all Boxer vs MMA fighter bouts that places them on the most equal footing. Why do you oppose having a proper mixed set that all future fights can use as a model that adjusts a few times before it's perfected?

Why, so they would complain that they don't know what it is?
Or that some MMA fighter with minimal Greco will wall-n-stall their asses?

My set is minimal - they have all their sweet science (including forbidden one), just under different environment

I look at it like this. Sure, someone will try to clinch them into the fence. The ref can start a 5 count then break them up. I would support that. The boxer might also use dirty boxing inside the clinch and have a whole new arsenal at hand. stick and move side slipping, come under the shoulder for a side clinch and lob shots into the kidney? The boxer won't be crippled, they will have a lot of tools open they can't use in normal boxing. To them, it would feel like a freestyle fight with relaxed rules. To the MMA fighter, it would feel like a limited rules fight that doesn't cripple them.

MMA is the compromise.

MMA guy wins in grappling.
Boxer wins in boxing.
MMA is the middle ground which allows all boxing techniques and most grappling techniques.

Kickboxing in mma gloves, with clinch strikes allowed.

I look at it like this. Sure, someone will try to clinch them into the fence. The ref can start a 5 count then break them up. I would support that. The boxer might also use dirty boxing inside the clinch and have a whole new arsenal at hand. stick and move side slipping, come under the shoulder for a side clinch and lob shots into the kidney? The boxer won't be crippled, they will have a lot of tools open they can't use in normal boxing. To them, it would feel like a freestyle fight with relaxed rules. To the MMA fighter, it would feel like a limited rules fight that doesn't cripple them.

Underhooks in and boxer cannot do anything.
Plus, working body-head in a tight clinch is something completely new to the boxer.

And no, these rules do not "cripple" MMA fighters - they actually can showcase there their boxing skills, which they are supposed to have. And they showcase them in the friendly and familiar environment, while boxers have an opportunity to show theirs (which should be polished to perfection) in a unfamiliar and hostile one.

Yes, they "can", however there's a massive imbalance. I am talking about addressing this imbalance by examining a proper ruleset for all Boxer vs MMA fighter bouts that places them on the most equal footing. Why do you oppose having a proper mixed set that all future fights can use as a model that adjusts a few times before it's perfected?

Because they can do it on a fight by fight basis. There's no need for a specific rule set that applies to every boxer vs mma fighter fight. Most likely they'll just exclude grappling from what's allowed and carry on with the fight...if the boxer is down, of course. Most boxers won't be willing to do that anyway. The most you might get out of them is a boxing match with 4oz gloves that takes place in a cage. Boxers won't concede much, I promise.

When you have to have compromises,its a freak fight and I'm not interested to watch

Kickboxing would be the only reasonable option from the options listed. It would give some MMA fighter from a kickboxing background, or just good strikers, a reasonable chance.

Smaller gloves obviously favours the guys who are used to fighting in smaller gloves, but not by enough to bridge what is a huge gap in skill, speed and power. Boxing gloves are typically 8oz or 10os for the bigger guys with an encased thumb carrying much of the extra weight.

As far as ‘dirty boxing’ goes, I would draw your attention to the Mayweather fight. The line of thought by a lot of MMA fans in the build up to the fight was that McGregor could get inside and ‘rough up’ Mayweather. What happened instead was Floyd being the one eager to close the distance, and despite being about 20lbs lighter, manhandling Conor on the inside. Grappling or clinching is a catch-all term that covers so many different aspects of fighting, but generally speaking, a boxer is going to be stronger than anyone else when it comes to ‘dirty boxing’.

I can’t remember what poster it was, but there was definitely someone here who thought Ben Askren would beat Canelo in a hypothetical kickboxing <45>

Kicking is a great leveller, IF you’re a great kicker. If you’re not, and you’re going up against a power puncher with a significant skill advantage, then it just opens you up to getting levelled.

Boxing in MMA gloves would be fine by me.

Just wearing mma gloves would be enough I think.
You have to re-think your guard and the way you punch with thoses littles gloves.

I don't know if you guys follow kickboxing at all but recently watching saenchai fight the promotion he is in converted to a halfway between an mma and boxing glove that's pretty legit looking

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/fr...o-six-saenchai-enters-the-world-of-kickboxing

I can’t remember what poster it was, but there was definitely someone here who thought Ben Askren would beat Canelo in a hypothetical kickboxing <45>

Kicking is a great leveller, IF you’re a great kicker. If you’re not, and you’re going up against a power puncher with a significant skill advantage, then it just opens you up to getting levelled.

That's fucking nuts. Whoever said that devalues any argument on the side of mma with sheer stupidity

That's fucking nuts. Whoever said that devalues any argument on the side of mma with sheer stupidity

Definitely. Obviously kicking is a huge leveller, but you have to actually be able to kick effectively in order for that to hold true.

There’s a world of difference between firing in a leg kick like a Lumphini stadium champion and being a lifelong wrestler who’s spent a few hours here and there training kicks for a few short years.

Definitely. Obviously kicking is a huge leveller, but you have to actually be able to kick effectively in order for that to hold true.

There’s a world of difference between firing in a leg kick like a Lumphini stadium champion and being a lifelong wrestler who’s spent a few hours here and there training kicks for a few short years.

I wouldn't even expect him to kick better than the boxer tbh

Wilder would kill Jones in thai boxing or kickboxing, it doesnt matter.

Yes and no..

Anyone who has fought a great kicker knows..

It's a world of difference in range and a great kicker vs a great puncher isn't a great prospect for the puncher..

Oblique kicks, kicking out the lead leg on entry, body kicks.. bad day for the puncher..

At the same time i'll really respect the boxer who dares step out of their comfort zone.. but they won't.. the highest paid combat athletes and they won't give up anything.. a bit like being the fastest crawler and refusing to race the fastest runner while taking pride in being the fastest crawler..

Imagine wrestling being the dominant sport calling out boxers in wrestling matches.. pathetic..

Back