The best compromise for when UFC fighters face Boxers in Boxing...

Echo_Bliss

WHAT?!
@Green
Reaction score
We all know the general way things go. If they fight in Pure Boxing, the rules cripple the tools the MMA guy uses to win his fights. If they fight in MMA, it gives Tyson a major disadvantage against toolsets he hasn't been challenged against in his primary sport.

I believe the best compromises are:
1. Kickboxing. This would hopefully put both outside their main territory. While it can be argued the kickboxing elements of MMA benefit the UFC fighter, I argue the difference of how techniques are used will be a major adaptation and neutralize the ways the UFC fighter is used to behaving. The boxer could, in theory, learn how to check leg kicks and go straight in boxing or hanging on the outside shooting jabs and ankle tap kicks. I could see Floyd doing that as his hands are good enough to beat anyone else, wait for a kick to open up a combo, and finish it.

2. Boxing, permitted clinches, punches inside the clinch, and fight in the cage so that you can tie someone on the fence. This would play into the MMA fighter's grappling expertise, but let's not forget how foolish it might be to tangle up with a boxer. You could wind up eating a lot of nasty things, and if they handtrap you, you're screwed. They would feel like it's a freestyle format where they can pull your head down into an uppercut, corner you with a clinch, etc. The UFC fighter would also have to move into the clinch without eating knuckles, and in most cases, a boxer wearing MMA gloves would be a lethal force to approach and set up a clinch with. They might even be the ones engaging the clinch.

I believe the goal of said fights should be a balanced environment that neither cripples nor benefits one fighter over the other.

In my opinion kickboxing is the only reasonable compromise.

Boxing in MMA gloves would be fine by me.

Just wearing mma gloves would be enough I think.
You have to re-think your guard and the way you punch with thoses littles gloves.

Floyd's brittle hands in 4oz mma gloves changes everything.

Who gives a fuck?

are we gonna establishment special rules too for when Khabib wants to get out wrestled by Jordan Burroughs?

Boxing matches have no MMA relevancy and vice versa.

We all know the general way things go. If they fight in Pure Boxing, the rules cripple the tools the MMA guy uses to win his fights. If they fight in MMA, it gives Tyson a major disadvantage against toolsets he hasn't been challenged against in his primary sport.

I believe the best compromises are:
1. Kickboxing. This would hopefully put both outside their main territory. While it can be argued the kickboxing elements of MMA benefit the UFC fighter, I argue the difference of how techniques are used will be a major adaptation and neutralize the ways the UFC fighter is used to behaving. The boxer could, in theory, learn how to check leg kicks and go straight in boxing or hanging on the outside shooting jabs and ankle tap kicks. I could see Floyd doing that as his hands are good enough to beat anyone else, wait for a kick to open up a combo, and finish it.

2. Boxing, permitted clinches, punches inside the clinch, and fight in the cage so that you can tie someone on the fence. This would play into the MMA fighter's grappling expertise, but let's not forget how foolish it might be to tangle up with a boxer. You could wind up eating a lot of nasty things, and if they handtrap you, you're screwed. They would feel like it's a freestyle format where they can pull your head down into an uppercut, corner you with a clinch, etc. The UFC fighter would also have to move into the clinch without eating knuckles, and in most cases, a boxer wearing MMA gloves would be a lethal force to approach and set up a clinch with. They might even be the ones engaging the clinch.

I believe the goal of said fights should be a balanced environment that neither cripples nor benefits one fighter over the other.

Punches only.
MMA gloves.
Octagon.
5 minute rounds.
Dirty boxing is allowed.

And what do MMA rules do to compromise a BJJ guy? Stop complaining, no one is making anyone compete in a sport they don’t want to

Kickboxing is a sensible compromise, but you would likely need to make it American-style, especially if the boxer isn't a power puncher, in order to avoid a leg kick massacre.

Some kind of hybrid boxing match with 4 oz gloves and possibly limited clinching would be neat too, though.

So K-1 in a cage?

I will admit it's been a long time since I watched K-1 so I don't remember the finer points on which type of clinches, dirty boxing etc is or isn't allowed.

In the examples above

1. MMA vs boxer and kicks are allowed then the MMA fighter just kicks the boxer in the legs until they quit.
2. The boxer wins easily, they're boxers if it's down to punching they win, cage, ring, gloves.... make no difference.

Boxing and MMA are different sports, there is no fair compromise. It's like tennis vs badminton, they're similar but completely different.

The way I see it, if you're an adult and sign a contract to fight under the marquis of queensbury rules, it's more than fair. If you don't wanna fight a boxer under boxing rules it's really simple...don't sign the contract.

I don't feel the need for a compromise. If an MMA fighter wants to box, go for it, I'll watch.

If a boxer wants to try MMA, go for it I'll watch that too.

I was interested to watch Jordan try to make it in baseball despite the colossal fail, and same for watching Deion and Bo excel in 2 sports at the highest level.

I don't feel the need to create some weird basketball-baseball or football-baseball hybrid sport to test these athletes. If they are talented enough they should be able to pick up enough in a year or two to be competitive.

If they stand them up right away the boxer should have enough compromise. He should have the edge probably both from punching range and in the clinch. That's a lot, they'd mostly just have to train kickboxing, thai plum defense and fighting with small gloves.

And what stoping with these novelty bushyte so each one can focus on what they actually do well?

Gee, even GM Punk played by the rules and didn't ask for... whatever they do in the WWE.
The way I see it, if you're an adult and sign a contract to fight under the marquis of queensbury rules, it's more than fair. If you don't wanna fight a boxer under boxing rules it's really simple...don't sign the contract.
The voice of sanity. I'd thank you if I could.

I say boxing with guns for the boxers because that’s the only way they beat Mma fighters in real fights.

Get the gat get the gatAB150892-CF47-46DA-944D-E3BBCE291272.jpeg

However, there should still be a good compromise of what a Mixed Fight would look like, so that if a Pure Boxer and MMA Fighter wants to have a fight under the most equal possible terms, that there's a template for that to happen.

This is to allow something to happen in the most balanced possible way.

Back