The best "bad striker" MMA fighters of all time

GSP was always considered pretty bad but later in his career managed to mess Koshecks face but pretty good and some how clocked ol Bisbung up as well.
Are you a newer fan? GSP was a striker first and foremost and incorporated wrestling later on.

Do you remember the “Rush” days? Before his loss to Matt Serra, he was a finisher, mixing up Ko/TKO and Subs.

Sorry but GSP isn’t a “bad Striker”

I think the pretty clear front runner is Jake Shields. His striking was terrible but he is definitely a top 3-10 WW of all time.

Askren in the Lawler fight barely even attempted to throw hands against Lawler even to set up his takedowns, he literally walked straight up to him as he was getting punched in the face and grabbed a hold of him. It was crazy to see and I'm surprised how it wasn't mentioned.

Are you a newer fan? GSP was a striker first and foremost and incorporated wrestling later on.

Do you remember the “Rush” days? Before his loss to Matt Serra, he was a finisher, mixing up Ko/TKO and Subs.

Sorry but GSP isn’t a “bad Striker”
That’s what I was thinking.

Askren in the Lawler fight barely even attempted to throw hands against Lawler even to set up his takedowns, he literally walked straight up to him as he was getting punched in the face and grabbed a hold of him. It was crazy to see and I'm surprised how it wasn't mentioned.
Askren sets up his takedowns by giving you the false sense of security that kneeing him in the face is going to do anything.
Askren's chin is undeletable at this stage of his career.

7.gif

2.gif

I agree with those that said Shields.
I remember his fight with Paul Daley, where his punches from top position looked so weak. Then Daley reversed him (if I'm remembering correctly) and unloaded some savage ground and pound. The contrast was remarkable.

Saki

I thought this was about the worst strikers who should be good strikers.

Huh??? I don’t recall GSPs striking to ever be considered pretty bad. If people did thought that then man that is weird because his striking has always been at the very least “decent” if not “good”
Lol, you acting like he wasn't the originator of "lay n pray".
{<jordan}

I might sound like an idiot, but I've only ever trained JJ and not BJJ...

In JJ there is a focus on striking (although it doesn't compare to many other martial arts). Is this similar in BJJ?
Nope. I've never seen any striking instruction whatsoever in a BJJ class. Even training in takedowns is pretty minimal, although it does exist. I'm sure back in the day there might have been, but now that everyone associates BJJ as a grappling art instead of a Vale Tudo type of self defense or something, there is no striking at all.

Nope. I've never seen any striking instruction whatsoever in a BJJ class. Even training in takedowns is pretty minimal, although it does exist. I'm sure back in the day there might have been, but now that everyone associates BJJ as a grappling art instead of a Vale Tudo type of self defense or something, there is no striking at all.
Thanks

I'd say Colby.
He's not a very good pure striker or has power, but his striking works very well with his high-pace, solid grappling, and smothering offense.

There's a method to his madness and he knows how to put it together well.
This is SO DUMB. fucking Colby? He isnt the best striker at a distance but he is a great strker none the less. You are out to fucking lunch in regards to this thread.
Dan the beast severn didnt even want to strike because he knew he could hurt his opponent. That is way worse than colby you stupid rookie

I agree with those that said Shields.
I remember his fight with Paul Daley, where his punches from top position looked so weak. Then Daley reversed him (if I'm remembering correctly) and unloaded some savage ground and pound. The contrast was remarkable.
His ground and pound on Hendo was literally pathetic, in how soft it was. However, I never thought he was waking up after he ate that H-bomb, but he not only survived that, he dominated the rest of the fight. Just goes to showing punching ability and power are not everything, if your grappling is top shelf.

Shields was so awkward he actually managed to outstrike a lot of people. He is so bad, he's actually good. Outstruck Woodley after all

This is SO DUMB. fucking Colby? He isnt the best striker at a distance but he is a great strker none the less. You are out to fucking lunch in regards to this thread.
Dan the beast severn didnt even want to strike because he knew he could hurt his opponent. That is way worse than colby you stupid rookie
Did he even throw a single closed fist at Shamrock? I don't believe he did. Then again, when you are suplexing fools, like he did to Mad Dog, who needs punches?

Back