The best "bad striker" MMA fighters of all time

M.A.G.A.

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My pick is Funky Ben

He has virtually zero stand up game, yet somehow he manages to win his fights. Most fighters would have been out cold taking those Robbie Lawler shots, but not Ben. Askren fights like a zombie, he walks into punches and latches on to his opponents to just wrestle fuck them to the end

Brock Lesnar was another terrible striker that managed to win a UFC title

Can't forget about Ronda either

When you are above most others in terms of grappling/take downs your striking doesn't have to be pretty.

The obvious would be Royce Gracie. Fucking schooled everyone without knowing dick about striking, lol.

I'd say Colby.
He's not a very good pure striker or has power, but his striking works very well with his high-pace, solid grappling, and smothering offense.

There's a method to his madness and he knows how to put it together well.

Tito Ortiz

Not the best, but an example of a successful one

The obvious would be Royce Gracie. Fucking schooled everyone without knowing dick about striking, lol.
GettyImages-285891.jpg

Shields has laughable standup.

But managed to make it work great.

GSP was always considered pretty bad but later in his career managed to mess Koshecks face up pretty good and some how clocked ol Bisbung up as well.

Last edited:
GSP was always considered pretty bad but later in his career managed to mess Koshecks face but pretty good and some how clocked ol Bisbung up as well.

Huh??? I don’t recall GSPs striking to ever be considered pretty bad. If people did thought that then man that is weird because his striking has always been at the very least “decent” if not “good”

GSP was always considered pretty bad but later in his career managed to mess Koshecks face but pretty good and some how clocked ol Bisbung up as well.

<{gspressed}>

I just don't think he is even close to being a bad striker.

I might sound like an idiot, but I've only ever trained JJ and not BJJ...

In JJ there is a focus on striking (although it doesn't compare to many other martial arts). Is this similar in BJJ?

I’m gonna get hate for this but Chris Leben has horrid punching technique (he just about doesn’t kick or knee to top it off) and he’s so stiff but he’s got gifted power, so he’s a very good bad-striker imo

Hope he wins at Bare Knuckle

Huh??? I don’t recall GSPs striking to ever be considered pretty bad. If people did thought that then man that is weird because his striking has always been at the very least “decent” if not “good”
Yeah, GSP started out as a striker and still is considered to have one of the best jabs of all time in MMA.

Back