The best "athleticism" dependent fighter ever?

JDS in his prime. he was so fast, so coordinated, and so powerful. that's basically what made him such a beast. obviously he didn't have great fight IQ because look how Cain beat the bejesus out of him by just clinching.
Cain was a really athletic fighter. He was explosive, strong and had insane cardio.

Woodley of course

champ at his peak and now he’s lost 15 straight rounds
He is mentally break now and no motivation ! He come just for money ! Pathetic !
Pitty because physical he look like still on top !

nelson1.jpg

I have never viewed MMA as a sport where athleticism is at a premium in comparison with stick and ball sports, but there are athletes that stand out more than others with God given ability, I reckon -- NGannou comes to mind for sure. He could knock out a horse probably without even any formal training; perhaps more so power than athleticism but I guess there is athleticism required in transferring power maybe? Other guys that come to mind are Brock Lesnar, Yoel Romero, Gary Goodridge (basically a strong man), BJ Penn (accelerated super fast in his progress), Chris Weidman (put Andre Galvao in all sorts of trouble in ADCC with very little grappling training); many others I'm sure.

I dont evem get your point other that hate on Conor while hyping up Izzy...neither of them qualify for this thread as both of them are very technical in their own way.

It's your point is that Conor has questionable cardio...yeah, I agree.
The entery contribution of the guy to the thread was i hate connor, really the dude lives rent free in half of sherdogers heads

And Jon Jones couldn't dunk a basketball at 6'4" in his prime. We are talking about athleticism as it relates to fighting, Conor having much greater punching power is more relevant than BJ being able to jump way better. That said overall I'd say BJ was still more gifted, but not because of his jumping ability.
Do some strength and conditioning as it relates to mixed martial arts than come back and talk. Every Mma camp around does box jumps and other explosive jumping exercises. It’s par for the course to develop fast twitch explosive power. Not sure wtf any of my original post had to do with jones dunking a basketball.
<DisgustingHHH>

Do some strength and conditioning as it relates to mixed martial arts than come back and talk. Every Mma camp around does box jumps and other explosive jumping exercises. It’s par for the course to develop fast twitch explosive power. Not sure wtf any of my original post had to do with jones dunking a basketball.
<DisgustingHHH>
jumping has nothing to do with fighting. Having a good vertical is great for basketball, has nothing to do with MMA. Conor and Jones not being able to jump has nothing to do with their ability in fighting.

Lesnar had YEARS of wrestling training. So he is maybe the best athletic-dependent guy, but he's not the most athletically dependent

Maybe Todd Duffee?
Greg Hardy?

jumping has nothing to do with fighting. Having a good vertical is great for basketball, has nothing to do with MMA. Conor and Jones not being able to jump has nothing to do with their ability in fighting.
I would guarantee that they both do box jumps/squat jumps etc etc in strength and conditioning.... it’s par for the course at the high level.

Randleman was a 2x NCAA D1 champ. Athleticism was his strongest area, but the man obviously had skill on the mat, or in the cage.
He was good at wrestling because of his freak athleticism and strength tho

I would guarantee that they both do box jumps/squat jumps etc etc in strength and conditioning.... it’s par for the course at the high level.
to train they do, just like they do road work; but that doesn't mean being better at it makes you a better fighter in general, just like how the best fighters are not great long distance runners. The fact prime pre-Usada Jones couldn't dunk a basketball proves my point.

to train they do, just like they do road work; but that doesn't mean being better at it makes you a better fighter in general, just like how the best fighters are not great long distance runners. The fact prime pre-Usada Jones couldn't dunk a basketball proves my point.
Bro I wasn’t making the case that the fighter with a higher vertical was better, that would be asinine. It’s a funny gif of Conor failing at jumping 3 feet in the air, it’s just hilarious.

I'd include a guy like Anderson Silva.

As soon as mother nature caught up to him his athleticism was out the door. Mostly in the form of speed and reflex department. Two almost impossible things to teach. You can improve it slightly with certain training, but overall it's a gift.

Anderson Silva did not have fast hands by pro boxing standards in any way at all.

There are certain fighters who are extremely athletic in the ufc, yoel romero comes to the mind of everybody, but still i fell pretty confident he would still do well in mma even if ge wasn't that gifted since he's technically a very good fighter ( striking, wrestling etc. ) on the other hand, there are some that are entirely dependent on their physical proes when fighting and to be fair you can only think they would not be successful if it weren't for it, so who is it for you the best "athletic" dependent fighter in the history of the ufc? ( and yes by athletic i mean a combination of power, speed, strengh etc im not counting cardio here )

For me its a tie between rumble and ngannou.
I wouldn't have Rumble there since he did well enough even at 170 which took his power to pretty much from 99 to a 30.

Brock Lesnar, if he was built like an average HW he would never win a pro mma fight.

Mike Russo is a complete athlete. He clocks TD with two rights in a row right before he nearly fucking decapitated him with only one of the most ATHLETIC left hammer fists this goddamned world has ever seen. Joe Rogan screams I have to stand up (which is like okay, you only have to stand up three feet. But okay whatever you're not that far from the ground) I can't sit back down. Craziest thing I've seen in a thousand fights. That's straight for a movie.
That's how amazing that athlete is. This is the answer to your question. His new nickname is Mike 'the answer' Russo.

Back