The Bear's big boy log of big bad beariness

• Thread starter Deleted member 535377
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 535377

Interesting that I've never noticed this before.
Seeing as I have a thread in Muay Thai/Kickboxing about my fighting and training. Mayswell throw in something more S&C oriented because I will post videos where possible.

Me:
6ft6 / 198cm
280lbs.

From S&C or just weight training perspective, I am natural and was getting pretty decent at my lifts.
I've flittered between trying to get strong and fight training for the last several years.
As I'm now 36 and getting injury laden, my "S&C" will become more about controlled static strength, unless I'm going through a cardio peaking cycle for a fight.

Personal bests over the last few years.
Powerlifting acceptable:
Squat 192.5kg.
Bench 170kg
Deadlift 240kg

Clean and press. 120kg.
Clean only. 130kg.
Viking press 110kg for 2 (last week in fact).
Strict curl biceps 70kg on olympic barbell (hard to judge most people).
I have done 30 reps at 100kg bench, full range.

I'm more of a between strength and reps guy. A combination of both.
Favourite exercise was deadlifts but really now (due to injury) is Viking press.

Strongman style, I could hitch and lift a bit more. I know I can "Bounce" press 180kg. I know I could hitch maybe another 10kg dealift and miss depth for maybe 205kg squat.

However, I'm currently nursing a pretty sore back. Might be more serious than I hope for so I'm barely squatting but not deadlifting at all until I know I won't collapse.

Limited to hack squats and some kind of safety squat machine.

What do I have on video?

Just a very small mash up.

This is also my return to benching after so long without:

But I'm a kickboxer first and foremost

Though I can punch for kickboxing, I'm now trying to get better at boxing as a "back up"

Hope that my ongoing log (if I remember to update it) keeps you entertained. Feel free to follow on Instagram and say hi. God knows I could do with the exposure.
Hopefully this back injury can be worked around and I can get back to K1. If not, then maybe I'll just use boxing where I can.

More than anything, more than being the best or "great", I just want to fight, lift and entertain.

Last edited by a moderator:
How training works now:

I should have an exhibition boxing match, of only 3 rounds. That is in 4 weeks. Because of the low risk of the opponent/getting knocked out/getting injured, I will continue to weight train for strength even up until 2 days before the bout.

I have been at a bodybuilding gym for 4 weeks but only used their cardio equipment for the ending of my workouts.
I hadn't done weight training only, for nearly 2 years. Feels good but will miss some of the bodybuilding.

Tomorrow, I re-join my boxing gym. It is a matter of time and money that I don't have both memberships.

I will look at only 3 days a week, for the next 4 weeks.

20-25 minutes of technique work on the heavybags. I will film a little if I can.
Then, ideally it will be:
Barbell shoulder press. I will have to clean the weight each time, so there will still be a full body movement warm up with the empty bar. Similar to snatches and cleans. Even after the bag work, I will still need some stretching out.

Shoulder presses empty bar = 30
Shoulder presses + 2 x 10kg plates = 20
Repeat last set
Shoulder presses + 2 x 20kg plates = 10
Repeat last set
So, 90 reps in total.

Pull ups. There is a really good bar there. It is wide and against the wall.
I will be trying for 10 sets of 5, pull ups (overhand).
10 sets of 5 chin ups (underhand).
Some dead hang pull ups. Maybe 10 sets of 3.

That might sound like a low number but I've only been using heavy lat pulls in the gym.
Sets upon sets will get my pull up number high again.

Intention is to pull up controlled and slow underhand. Explosive overhand.

Very likely I will put in some chest dumbbell flies. I suspect 5 or 6 sets, just to exhaust the pec.
I will be getting very little chest work in, in total. Nearly all of my workouts will involve shoulders, lats, arms.
Pectorals are least priority.

Then.
Light weights, of standing dumbbell shoulder press. Maybe 20kg and rep to failure.
I'll rep to failure probably 4 sets.

To finish - biceps!

Keeping it simple. I'll try and use an olympic bar with 10kg on each end.
Rep to failure for maybe 5 sets.

That should kill most of my upper body for my return.

I'll chuck up some videos tomorrow once this is done.

Back