The Basics

Fedorzilla

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok, everyone always talks about how you need to stick to the basics and master them. I know that this is the calling card for so many people on this forum. But, there are so few discussions of what "the basics" are and what to focus on.

Obviously, things like "elbows in," "don't let them flatten you out" and "get the underhook" are things we can all accept. But, what are the main basics you try to focus on and think people overlook.

One thing for me is push and pull. I have recently been focusing on my passing game (always been a guard player and need to round out my game) and working on this pass where you grab the pants on the hip and use the shin shield for push while you pull up on the pants to essentially work an over-under type pass, but with your back arm free so you can clear the leg you're controlling and then release the front hand (originally on the hip) to block the outside leg from coming back over. The push and pull is the key and getting your shin/knee to pressure them is huge. Even on the knee-through pass, the ability to drive your knee forward while keeping your upper body back is HUGE. So many beginners can't push the knee/shin forward without falling forward with their upper body and you just get tied up horribly.

That's just my contribution, but I wanted to ask around for thoughts about "the basics" and what you find to be the most important ones. I'll try to keep a running tab of this on my main post here, so you don't have to dig through the whole thread to find them.

THE BASICS

• Elbows in
  • Don't be flat on your back
  • Don't extend your arms
  • Both arms in or both arms out
  • Maintain a 3-point base
  • Keep elbow connected to knee when passing/playing guard (forearm+shin shield)
  • Pace your breath
  • don't muscle

Last edited:
For me the basics are what you see in every position like base and posture. If you know how to always keep a good base you are not in danger of getting swept, getting your posture broken or submitted. That means you can start attacking. Having a good three-point base is something you need to have when in someones guard, mounting, sidemounting, standing etc.

You were talking about push and pull in a specific technique but I would say that pushing and pulling is basic in most position especially when you play guard. If you don't push away and pull at the same time it's impossible to break your opponents posture. And without first breaking posture it will be very hard to attack.

So for me the basics are not about specific rules like "Don't extend your arms", knowing how to do a kimura or "breath" (I mean come on, breathing is a fysiological necessity in life, not just in BJJ). Base, posture, push and pull and maybe griping. These are like the laws of nature in BJJ and therefore basics. Just like gravity is when you study planets.

Just my opinion right now. Feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:

"Both arms in or both arms out. "

I watched Joe Moreira rolling with Michael Jen (Jen was commentating on their roll) and during the roll Moreira had good posture and started to pass while leaving one arm in and one arm out. Jen said that he would have gone for the triangle but as he knew that Moreira had perfect posture it was a bad idea.

So for me the basics are not about specific rules like "Don't extend your arms", knowing how to do a kimura or "breath" (I mean come on, breathing is a fysiological necessity in life, not just in BJJ). Base, posture, push and pull and maybe griping. These are like the laws of nature in BJJ and therefore basics. Just like gravity is when you study planets.

As far as breathing, yes, it's necessary. The point is that people hyperventilate when in bad situations. You have to control your breath when rolling and that's not intuitive. It's not a coincidence that many high-level players do yoga and breathing exercises to supplement their jiu jitsu. It's not just an issue of flexibility.

As far as breathing, yes, it's necessary. The point is that people hyperventilate when in bad situations. You have to control your breath when rolling and that's not intuitive. It's not a coincidence that many high-level players do yoga and breathing exercises to supplement their jiu jitsu. It's not just an issue of flexibility.

Being able to relax and breath is good. Basics in the art of BJJ? Don't know. Having a lot of muscles and good cardio works too. So is lifting weights and running the treadmill basics in BJJ? Is doing Yoga basics in BJJ?

I'm a bit disapointed that you only commented on the breathing part. That was the only thing that had nothing to do with my view on the basics.

NYC: The triangle is frequently used in a lot of BJJ logos. Like Gracie Barra, Alliance etc. It's becase you should always have your balance distributed over three points. Like when you sit in someones guard. It's your two knees and your ass. You also have a triangle if you look from the side, your head, knee and ass. That's your posture. If the first triangle is broken, you get swept. If the second is, your posture is broken.

Excellent post Fedorzilla.

Often times I feel a bit overwhelmed with the vastness of BJJ and wish that there were some basic principles that were taught. Some simple principles that I can remember and go back to if I have to reset when something goes wrong.

I look forward to hearing more opinions and answers.

You have my all time favorite of elbows in...
So ill contribute with having the elbow to the knee IE: when someone is about to pass your guard keep your elbow and knee together so they cant get thier knee into your hip. When your passing someones gaurd and they are trying to triangle choke you they cant get the other leg in place if you keep your elbow and knee connected.

Theres also the ever popular think 2 or 3 moves ahead IE: dont focus one 1 move for example armbar, armbar, armbar while your trying to focus only on the armbar. Think Im gonna try an armbar if he pulls Ill switch to omaplata, if he tries to smash me instead of pulling ill sweep.

Theres also the ever popular think 2 or 3 moves ahead IE: dont focus one 1 move for example armbar, armbar, armbar while your trying to focus only on the armbar. Think Im gonna try an armbar if he pulls Ill switch to omaplata, if he tries to smash me instead of pulling ill sweep.

I would love to be able to do this but either I am not smart enough, or too inexperienced.

3 point base?

It simply means three points of contact for your base (balance).

If you only use two....like your two knees for instance...you can be tipped in various directions for sweeps.

Forgive for my spellling mistakes:
basics JJ:

Vai
Raspa
Ai
Issou

my coach keeps going on about posture so its DEFINITELY in there.
I am only new so these will all help me greatly!

The things I am struggling with so far(very new) are things like pushing down/keeping weight on the opponent,
keeping out of reach of the opponent when posting etc,
keeping good posture,
remembering to tie up ie lock back into full guard when it is presented straight away instead of remembering later when it would be FAR too late, or locking into a tight mount with feet tucked under the opponent etc

just understanding that it is a FULL CONTACT sport and not a rag doll throw around wrestling match like you did when you were little, so your supposed to press down and make the opponent uncomfortable by pushing your elbow against their neck or getting up on your toes and elbows to press your chest into theirs etc

I am a Judoka who crosstrains with BJJ guys, and they tell me that by far the best basic to work on is posture. Strange how something I have drilled into me on my feet somehow got forgotten on the ground... (the more I do both, the more parallels I see. Physics is physics, no matter where you're fighting) My Judo sensei of course told me the same thing, but he's since moved away and I am trying to continue on by myself (and keep thinking back to what he told me with some experience and only NOW understanding)

ANYWAY.

I was hoping you might be able to help me find some vids, teaching aids, drills, etc. for these basics. I get the importance of posture and base from Judo, but getting it and having it drilled into muscle memory are 2 different things. Also, I have no real idea about this "forearm-shin shield" thing and would love to see it in action.

Thanks so much guys! And don't forget these things when you stand up too, they are all connected...

Get Demian Maia's Science of Jiujitsu 1 & 2. He presents universal concepts and shows how the same concepts come into play in various positions. I can't recommend those videos highly enough.

Back