The basics are dead

"Leverage and physics won’t change any time soon, unless CERN accidentally Higgs a few too many bosoms and breaks time and space. Humans only have so many limbs, those only have so many joints that move in only so many ways, and if you squeeze the right spots too long, our brains turn off. The basics are safe."

EL OH EL...awesome.

The basics are still very important but I think most BJJ white and blue belts that are competing, need to expand their horizons beyond the basics.

When you look at that "white belt highlights" video, you can clearly see a ton of white belts that have NO IDEA how to defend the DLR hook and the berimbolo, they just don't understand the concepts and theories of these positions..

And the berimbolo IS a fundamental idea or concept of jiujitsu, using the knee and foot as a reaping point to off-balance and leverage your opponent.

I really like the approach that white belts should be drilling and mastering the basics, but learning about the FULL 360 degree view of human grappling, whether its inverted guards or leg locks, they need to start building a knowledge bank of how and why these maneuvers work and what is being manipulated on the human body to expose these attacks.

Imagine if in that same highlight video you just went around and told all his opponents to SIT DOWN and REMOVE the hand around your ankle/heel before he starts the berimbolo...

Its just goes against our natural reactions to DLR and RDLR, we want to pull our leg away, keep on top, smash them, stand up and out... Instead of just sitting down with a good base and removing the hand hold immediately and pulling ourselves into a better position.

Great posts btw, liking the blog

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
lol that video really pissed me off. but I read the comments and felt better

Last edited:
great article!

i am still surprised by how many people think that oldschool techniques = basics

The basics are still very important but I think most BJJ white and blue belts that are competing, need to expand their horizons beyond the basics.

When you look at that "white belt highlights" video, you can clearly see a ton of white belts that have NO IDEA how to defend the DLR hook and the berimbolo, they just don't understand the concepts and theories of these positions..

And the berimbolo IS a fundamental idea or concept of jiujitsu, using the knee and foot as a reaping point to off-balance and leverage your opponent.

I really like the approach that white belts should be drilling and mastering the basics, but learning about the FULL 360 degree view of human grappling, whether its inverted guards or leg locks, they need to start building a knowledge bank of how and why these maneuvers work and what is being manipulated on the human body to expose these attacks.

Imagine if in that same highlight video you just went around and told all his opponents to SIT DOWN and REMOVE the hand around your ankle/heel before he starts the berimbolo...

Its just goes against our natural reactions to DLR and RDLR, we want to pull our leg away, keep on top, smash them, stand up and out... Instead of just sitting down with a good base and removing the hand hold immediately and pulling ourselves into a better position.

Great posts btw, liking the blog

True, you can catch white belts by using more advanced techniques, but that really means nothing. If you aren't absolutely solid at the basics, it will come back to be detrimental later in your grappling experience.

This is the end, guys. RIP Jiu-Jitsu. :icon_sad:

Controlling a limb and torquing the ligaments against the natural flow, from foot to knee, or wrist to shoulder, as a fulcrum of the human body to sweep, submit, escape, etc..

Isn't a "fundamental concept" of jiu jitsu??

Damn, thanks for giving me a heads up Einarr!

Back