The balanced berserker

I think Overeem will beat Stipe with a KO or Sub.

All you ever hear against him now, is he's got a glass chin. That's all well and good if the other guy isn't frightened to attack. Look at JDS, Overeem had him like a deer in the headlights. JDS is a beast but he knew the skills and power of the Reems striking, and rightfully so. Same with Arlovski in a way. Compared to how aggressive he was against, say, Browne, against Overeem he was definitely not taking as many risks.

Overeem won't chase Stipe down like Werdum and I don't think Stipe will chase Overeem, so that'll leave them in the centre - Overeems best place for precision striking!
I actually think Alistair's Achilles' heel isn't the chin; it's his ego. Hope you're right with which Alistair shows for 203 because the Alistair that stepped in there vs. JDS is taking the strap. Great guy though, Stipe.

Anyway my prediction is they'll be in the centre, Stipe will step in with a jab then hook combo, Reem will slip the jab and counter the hook with an overhand, rocking Stipe. Stipe will either go for a takedown and Reem will throw him off towards the cage, or Stipe will back up against the cage. Reem will close in cautiously and throw two or three measured strikes, then ground and pound a rocked Stipe for the ref to jump in.

Don't see the Gn'P; Stipe seems to wear his weariness on the feet before just buckling (like vs. Struve) and against Overeem 3.0 I see this being even more so the case, but great prediction otherwise, man. I could get behind this if it gets @The MM Analyst's seal of approval, then it's scripture. :p

Very specific and obviously biased for the Reem. He's one of my favourite fighters though so that's why!

Have a huge soft spot myself for Andrej and will spin almost anything in his favour...I get you.

But don't repeat this or use against me in future arguments. This message will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3... :D

Also there is one obvious choice. The most decorated guy for being cold and hot at once... Fedor. Nobody could get as agressive as Fedor in certain moments when he smelt blood. If he felt that he can go with the monster inside him he just pounded people till they were dead.

He had many victims of his rage.

2264475_o.gif

Guy was madman. Totally ragin bull when he needed it.

The way he used to wait like a chess player after a move, then leap in with violent, looping, catlike hits from the outside is rare too. With his reflexes, patience and kill-trigger, he might very well be the balanced berserker, FFB.

<cheer>

Prime Nate was an excellent well rounded fighter, just slightly below championship level... I hope he retires soon, like yesterday, to many stoppage losses in his last few fights, I don't want to see him with CTE. His recent interviews he's beginning to sound like he's suffering from long term pugilistic head trauma

Prime Nate was an excellent well rounded fighter, just slightly below championship level... I hope he retires soon, like yesterday, to many stoppage losses in his last few fights, I don't want to see him with CTE. His recent interviews he's beginning to sound like he's suffering from long term pugilistic head trauma
Hope he retires too (haven't seen recent interviews so you pique my interest...hook a Sherbrother up?), but career-wise I really can't even put him at sub-championship levels.

He reminds me of Steve Cantwell - guys that have physicality, skills and moments where you hold your breath on the potential there but always somehow end up where they started.

Robbie is an interesting answer. His holiday rounds are unorthodox for a brawler with a good gas tank.

Pretty sure his holiday rounds are why he holds his gas tank.

If he could go 5 hard rounds he would and he would be even scarier.

For a guy who is only 29, he seems to have been around for 20+ years and is now old AF...LOL.

Does he have a volcano within though that shakes the ground beneath? Didn't pay much attention to Renan until after his stint in WEC but he's always too controlled; if you see red, you're not throwing leg kicks or setting anything up - Renan is always setting something up.

Pretty sure his holiday rounds are why he holds his gas tank.

If he could go 5 hard rounds he would and he would be even scarier.
Hard to argue for or against but you could well be right; your reference to the holiday round here though reminds me more of a stylistic necessity of the likes of Houston Alexander, Tank Abbott etc. Robbie can reel it back in and bring the big picture back into focus, which is rare; he doesn't just ride-or-die like those types that can't throw for a round because they're about to pass out. They are imbalanced berserkers, LOL.

<42>

I actually think Alistair's Achilles' heel isn't the chin; it's his ego. Hope you're right with which Alistair shows for 203 because the Alistair that stepped in there vs. JDS is taking the strap. Great guy though, Stipe.

Don't see the Gn'P; Stipe seems to wear his weariness on the feet before just buckling (like vs. Struve) and against Overeem 3.0 I see this being even more so the case, but great prediction otherwise, man. I could get behind this if it gets @The MM Analyst's seal of approval, then it's scripture. :p

Have a huge soft spot myself for Andrej and will spin almost anything in his favour...I get you.

But don't repeat this or use against me in future arguments. This message will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3... :D

I like Stipe in this fight. Reem's new style has confused people who can't cut off the cage (and Roy Nelson who only attacks from one side), but Stipe has decent pressure footwork and I don't think he'll have too much trouble keeping Reem in his headlights. I don't think Reem wants any part of boxing range. Reem's never been much of a counterpuncher and Stipe makes that really hard with his feints and non-committal jabs. Imo his best bet would be to try to keep him at bay with kicks and clinch when Stipe moves in. I think it'll be a really close fight though and wouldn't bet on it unless Stipe moves to a dog.

Any fighters you boys can recall whose style is to flurry or throw caution to wind but reel the inner bear back in once it gets out?

Seems a counterintuitive style of contest because to "stand and bang" or "hunt down come hell or high water" peers inconsistently with the offensive measure of a counterstriker or tactician's endgame, but combat sport isn't black and white like that.

Thoughts or examples? Fjodor maybe, but am drawing a blank here...and if Wand' comes to mind, you missed the point.
Wanderlei did have his berserker rages,and he knew when to tone it down,and use sweet leg kicks to soften the guy up for the buttrape later in the fight. I dont care if im missing the point. If we cant talk about wanderlei,the point is stupid! Hail Wand

Back