The Avengers Quadrilogy vs. The Dark Knight Trilogy

Which is better?

• Total voters
Batman wins for me. The first Avengers was good, Age of Ultron was poop, Infinity War was amazing and End Game was meh.

Girl power scene is a bad, woke, stupid scene. I agree. It should be erased from existence. We should pretend it doesn't exist.

But it doesn't ruin the movie. Remove that scene and most of the rest is amazing.
haha.

We men will never change.

So many fan service moments to men in action movies over the decades that are just gratuitous but we see them as awesome as they get us pumped. The 'guys are back together moment'.

tenor.gif

But we hate when they do it for anyone else. lol.

Things tend to seem gratuitous and unnecessary when they are not directed at you. That is how it tends to be. I think we need to get used to instead of thinking those moments should not happen for others.

haha.

We men will never change.

So many fan service moments to men in action movies over the decades that are just gratuitous but we see them as awesome as they get us pumped. The 'guys are back together moment'.

tenor.gif

But we hate when they do it for anyone else. lol.

Things tend to seem gratuitous and unnecessary when they are not directed at you. That is how it tends to be. I think we need to get used to instead of thinking those moments should not happen for others.

Wow, your comparison is so intelligent it blows my mind.

So you think two muscly Commandos shaking their hands is as implausible as all the super women charging the enemy together, without one single man in sight, in a battle of thousands.

Maybe things seem gratuitous and unnecessary when they are implausible, stupidly forced logical leaps? Ever thought of that? Or maybe you are just too much of a SJW and was offended that I singled-out a dumbass woke scene.

If you are able to get used to stupidity, good for you, but I can't. I advise you to try and question stupidity whenever possible. Life advice for free.

Last edited:
It was tough until I remembered Age of Ultron. Then I thought back to how the replay value of the first Avengers is very low for me. I liked Infinity War alot and Endgame was good but dragged a bit until that amazing final hour or so.

I can sit and toss in any Batman movie and I'll be fully invested, I also liked Dark Knight Rises quite a bit so that helps push Batman well into the choice for myself.

Two muscly Commandos shaking their hands is as implausible as all the super women charging the enemy together, without one single man in sight, in a battle of thousands.

Maybe things seem gratuitous and unnecessary when they are implausible, stupidly forced logical leaps? Ever thought of that? Or maybe you are just too much of a SJW and was offended that I singled-out a dumbass woke scene.

If you are able to get used to stupidity, good for you, but I can't. I advise you to try and question stupidity whenever possible. Life advice for free.

It was tough until I remembered Age of Ultron. Then I thought back to how the replay value of the first Avengers is very low for me. I liked Infinity War alot and Endgame was good but dragged a bit until that amazing final hour or so.

I can sit and toss in any Batman movie and I'll be fully invested, I also liked Dark Knight Rises quite a bit so that helps push Batman well into the choice for myself.

Recent rewatch of original Avengers had me thinking it was not nearly as good as I felt it was in 2012. Still quite entertaining of course and a good film, but perhaps not the top 5/6 MCU movie I initially considered it.

And part of it is definitely the contrast between the recent ones. Because, to me, Civil War (cap movie but cmon it’s an Avengers film), Infinity War, and Endgame are all substantially better.

And it’s made me think about the MCU trajectory in general. If you look at 2014 as maybe the key year, I’d argue that from 2014 on, the best MCU films were significantly better than virtually everything (with the exception of maybe one or two movies) that was put out from 2008-13. Original Iron Man can still hang among the best but otherwise, First Avenger gets outclassed by Civil War and Winter Soldier. Ragnarok is a lot better than Dark World and better than Thor as well, etc. I’d watch Doctor Strange over either Iron Man sequel or The Incredible Hulk without a moment’s hesitation.

Others have observed this, but I think it’s really cool to see that the overall standard has been raised. I feel like even more middle of the road marvel movies of late are better than most of the early offerings.

So you think two muscly Commandos shaking their hands is as implausible as all the super women charging the enemy together, without one single man in sight, in a battle of thousands.

Fan service moments for guys are so ubiquitous I could give all sorts of 'guy moment' , 'guy reunion', 'get the gang together' BooYa moments.

I just did not think you would be stupid enough to need them.

I dare you to create a thread called 'best fan service moments in action movies' and see how quickly it gets filled up with gratuitous scenes directed at men. Many of which are 'the gang back together scene'. Go check out some Westerns where one rider is heading in to what looks like death, then suddenly another pulls in behind, then another, until the whole team is reformed when it first looked like a suicide mission for one is going to be an ass kicking.

Last edited:
I don't get the dislike of Age of Ultron. I loved it. You got Hulk versus Hulkbuster Iron Man in that movie. That was sweet and worth the price of admission alone. Then the creation of Vision, with him picking up the Hammer, and the scene where all the guys tried to pick up the hammer. The little squeak you get when Cap tries to pick it up which sets up the final in Endgame. Some really good moments in that movie.

Fan service moments for guys are so ubiquitous I could give all sorts of 'guy moment' , 'guy reunion', 'get the gang together' BooYa moments.

I just did not think you would be stupid enough to need them.

I dare you to create a thread called 'best fan service moments in action movies' and see how quickly it gets filled up with gratuitous scenes directed at men. Men of which are 'gang back together scene'. Go check out some Westerns were one rider is heading in to what looks like death, then suddenly another pulls in behind, then another, until the whole team is reformed when it first looked like a suicide mission for one is going to be an ass kicking.

Your Western example is corny, cliché, and it does happen all the time in BAD movies. However, your comparison is still stupid. Apples to oranges stupid.

It's plausible that a gang of MEN charge the enemy in a Western setting. YES, it's a men's setting. It looks very idiotic depending on the director (i.e., GoT season 7) but it's plausible.

1502708267-thrones1.jpg
<{1-17}>

Is it plausible that all women charge Thanos together, without one man in sight? No, because war is a men's setting. Even if warrior women were plausible, why would there be only women charging Thanos, unless it's a forced, idiotic, woke agenda?

girl power scene is the same as having a men couple competing against women in a figure skating competition, in a non-comedic drama movie. It's just idiotic. You really can't see it?

Oh and IW's Thanos > TDK's Joker by a small but obvious margin.
They're not really comparable IMO. Both were so well done though. IW Thanos was much better than EG. They really hashed him out. He was so bad but part you knew he was right that the universe isn't sustainable. Almost as an anti-hero. That was well acted and written.
Joker is a force of nature. He's twisted. He can't be related to in a way that Thanos can be, but he's perfect for the character that he was written for. Heath lined up that character that he matched that line "some people just want to see the world burn". I think he captured that essence.
Those two performances are the bench mark for any great villain in a comic movie.

People will never notice pandering when it is to them and they will always notice it and never understand it when it is done to others.

Es normal.
You give a lot of credit. The interesting thing to me is comparing what seems to be a fair and articulate level of cinematic understanding against quite a provincial regard for story, dialogue, and I guess thematic presentation. Not to mention the very banal anti-SJW trolljob that I am not sure is authentic. Interdasting in read.

You give a lot of credit. The interesting thing to me is comparing what seems to be a fair and articulate level of cinematic understanding against quite a provincial regard for story, dialogue, and I guess thematic presentation. Not to mention the very banal anti-SJW trolljob that I am not sure is authentic. Interdasting in read.

It speaks to your intelligence that you think that Predator x Girl power scene was a smart comparison. Maybe this requires another layer of intelligence, which you clearly lack.

I don't get the dislike of Age of Ultron. I loved it. You got Hulk versus Hulkbuster Iron Man in that movie. That was sweet and worth the price of admission alone. Then the creation of Vision, with him picking up the Hammer, and the scene where all the guys tried to pick up the hammer. The little squeak you get when Cap tries to pick it up which sets up the final in Endgame. Some really good moments in that movie.

I thought it was the worst avengers movie but I agree it wasn't that bad. I rewatched it and still had fun. My only real issue with it is Ultron never felt like a huge threat that required the Avengers. Felt like he could have just been in Iron Man 4 without the Avengers help being needed.

AoU did well with fans generally. Most of the hate is from DieHard comic fans and most of that hate seems to be due to him being under powered.

I liked it a lot, but also get some of the complaints.

But the diehards have to accept that new characters are not typically going to be introduced at the last power levels they were in the comics. In the comics they have arcs and power ups over time and it will be the same in the MCU.

Thor got a ton of hate from hidehards for being underpowered. But again you look at Thor, Ultron, Suparman, Hulk, in the CBU when first introduced and you will see they powered up over time.

Ultron is AI. AI gets better and better the more data it collects, the more experiences it has. I think they could easily bring him back again but with a big upgrade, and I would watch.

Your Western example is corny, cliché, and it does happen all the time in BAD movies. However, your comparison is still stupid. Apples to oranges stupid.

It's plausible that a gang of MEN charge the enemy in a Western setting. YES, it's a men's setting. It looks very idiotic depending on the director (i.e., GoT season 7) but it's plausible.

1502708267-thrones1.jpg
<{1-17}>

Is it plausible that all women charge Thanos together, without one man in sight? No, because war is a men's setting. Even if warrior women were plausible, why would there be only women charging Thanos, unless it's a forced, idiotic, woke agenda?

girl power scene is the same as having a men couple competing against women in a figure skating competition, in a non-comedic drama movie. It's just idiotic. You really can't see it?
You are ignore the 'fan service' element;

If you do not know what 'fan service' is or you think it does not exist then you are way out there. Create a thread, I dare you, ask if 'fan service' exists and for examples'. Stick to Action movies if you want quick results.

No one denies fan service is not only a thing but a big thing. What you are going to do is try and dissect them all say 'only those type of fan service are ok... those other types are not' based on your own personal bias.

Here, here is one of the biggest 'fan services' done in movies. Look up 'White Saviour'. One of my favorite movies is Last of the Mohicans. Do you know why the main character was an adopted white man and not a native? Fan service. Matt Damon in that movie about the Wall, same. Etc, Etc. To many examples to cite.

Hollywood just knows a certain part of the audience will identify and get more excited by seeing the similar face so they find a way to write them in. No one complains. But give gals a tiny bit of fan service and 'zomg, it must stop...'. LOL.

Two face-Face was covered in oil and they couldnt re graft his skin. It was a little overdone but lots of people have bad burn scars. Otherwise just a normal guy.

Bane-Needed the mask to breath, otherwise hes just a normal guy

batgear-All military stuff made by his own corporation.

scarecrow-Just a psychologist with psycho active drug compound. Otherwise a normal guy.

Yeah all those sound pretty realistic and at least vaguely possible in the real world today.

Yeah you're right.

Brb I'm going to hop into my jet powered bat themed stealth racing tank, shoot a grappling hook from under its hood and drive up the side of a bank.

There are certainly people who I call the 'flip side of the coin of SJW's'.

These are people who see SJW leanings behind everything and are as eager to fight SJW's as SJW's are to fight them. They are one in the same just opposite sides of the coin.

But I also think people are blind to their own biases and in particularly when someone is playing to them.

Why was the magic formula in TV for years an average of dumpy looking white guy with a way above his pay grade hot wife? That is pandering to the average dumpy white guy in the audience that you too can have a hot wife, fantasy.

There are endless things like that, that are very deliberate and intended to manipulate subtly towards a more positive feeling for the viewer.

So many could not understand why a movie like Black Panther got some black fans more excited than others. It was because it was pure fan service to blacks. Others can enjoy it to, but that specific pandering is not in there for them.

I remember watching Salt with my ex wife and how pumped she got by Angela Jolie kicking ass like that. I hoked about being in danger. I too enjoyed the movie but not to the level she did but i was not the target of much of the pandering.

Have not read through this thread but I bet we have a DC nerds vs MCU nerds battle going on here.

I give Marvel the edge here but its close as I enjoyed all 7 movies of these two franchises. The only thing I did not like was how TDKR ended and since that is the bookend of the franchise, Marvel gets the W for having a far superior conclusion to their saga.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back