The Ashes thread

Great fight back from the Poms. The 1st session tomorrow is massive. Whoever gets the better of it should win the Test.

Yeah, was a good showing last night, Root on target to break the record for most test runs scored in a calendar year as well. If they can get a lead of >200, we might still have a contest!

I might be an entitled prick but this test ends today.

5 nil thanks for coming fuck off.

Yeah, that whole thing still pisses me off to no end. First off, I don't agree with him stepping back for the incident. But to then go all "yeah, I need a mental health break", that just reeks of fishing for public sympathy.
But Smith being captain again, oh boy, that would be a bad look. Not only that, Sandpaper-gate should stick on him for the rest of his career. Maybe not define him, his batting does that plenty, but with all the historic corruption and shenanigans in cricket, he should never been cap again, hell, not even vice-cap imho.
Do you play?

Everyone tampers with the ball. England used lollies, NZ used a bottle top to scratch the ball up in 1990, England’s Atherton kept dirt in his pocket in 1994, Pakistan to whatever they can whenever they can get away with it - Aktar admitted as much in his own book.

If someone hits me onto a road and it DOESN’T come back scratched up there’s something wrong.

Do you play?

Everyone tampers with the ball. England used lollies, NZ used a bottle top to scratch the ball up in 1990, England’s Atherton kept dirt in his pocket in 1994, Pakistan to whatever they can whenever they can get away with it - Aktar admitted as much in his own book.

If someone hits me onto a road and it DOESN’T come back scratched up there’s something wrong.
Used to as a little kid, grew up around a lot of Pakistani kids, so pretty much had to learn. Loved to spend Sundays at the local cricket grounds in The Hague, just watching, having a chat and a beer. Shoulders to f-ed up to play now.

Atherton didn't break the laws though.
Edit: Well, technically, lying to the ref, but did not break the laws regarding ball tampering.

Used to as a little kid, grew up around a lot of Pakistani kids, so pretty much had to learn. Loved to spend Sundays at the local cricket grounds in The Hague, just watching, having a chat and a beer. Shoulders to f-ed up to play now.

Atherton didn't break the laws though.
Edit: Well, technically, lying to the ref, but did not break the laws regarding ball tampering.
Sounds like fun mate but don’t try to distract me with nostalgia. You haven’t addressed my other examples and believe me I could go on. I definitely felt a tap.

I’m not trying to be a prick but the punishment heavily outweighed the crime and I question the sanity of anyone who can possibly still be pissed off about it. Bancroft was shit, horrible to watch and a Fucken moron. Warner is a dick but we can’t stay mad at Smithy just look at his little face.

Sounds like fun mate but don’t try to distract me with nostalgia. You haven’t addressed my other examples and believe me I could go on. I definitely felt a tap.
This thread is about the Ashes. As soon as NZ or the Pakis become a part of that, I'll be on your other examples like butter on toast! ;)

I’m not trying to be a prick but the punishment heavily outweighed the crime and I question the sanity of anyone who can possibly still be pissed off about it. Bancroft was shit, horrible to watch and a Fucken moron. Warner is a dick but we can’t stay mad at Smithy just look at his little face.
Agreed, to a point, I just feel this is too much of a stain to allow him to be cap again.
And yes, he's a cute little sod. Just makes you want to pinch his little cheeks. Or sandpaper his bum. ;)

Agreed, to a point, I just feel this is too much of a stain to allow him to be cap again.
And yes, he's a cute little sod. Just makes you want to pinch his little cheeks. Or sandpaper his bum. ;)
That made me laugh

Not even for Joe Root? I’m obviously Australian and even I get a half mongrel in my pants when he’s batting.

Don't mean in terms of England doing well, just my own personal interest.......not in the UK so too much effort to watch, and neither team really seem vintage.

Though following this test sporadically on text, if England can bat the majority of today, day 5 could be a banger.......so yeah, all out by lunch!

This thread is about the Ashes. As soon as NZ or the Pakis become a part of that, I'll be on your other examples like butter on toast! ;)
You’re aware that the whole England team were in on ball tampering in the greatest ashes series ever in 2005 though aren’t you? Marcus Trescothick was the designated ball tamperer, several of the team talk about it freely.

Back