The Ashes thread

Great innings from the world’s best batsmen. Glad I stayed up to watch it.

cricket bowlers can't even make it to the plate, they have to bounce it on the ground

cricket is also rubbish. baseball is a million times worse, shite sport.

cricket bowlers can't even make it to the plate, they have to bounce it on the ground
Oh, they can, they're just allowed, since people have died from such deliveries.

Bouncers (balls pitched short and bouncing to over hip height) are allowed, in moderation, but have taken quite a few victims, and yes, deaths as well. Philip Hughes comes to mind as the most recent one.

And I doubt any baseball player would be able to hit - consistently - against a good spinner, a Murali or Shane Warne.

Disappointed after such a good start, but let's see what tomorrow brings.

Oh, they can, they're just allowed, since people have died from such deliveries.

Bouncers (balls pitched short and bouncing to over hip height) are allowed, in moderation, but have taken quite a few victims, and yes, deaths as well. Philip Hughes comes to mind as the most recent one.

And I doubt any baseball player would be able to hit - consistently - against a good spinner, a Murali or Shane Warne.

I'm assuming the Michael Papps one is there. I was there for that match. When he got dinged a second time we (in the crowd) were like "toughen up". The guy behind us (with the binoculars) shook his head and said "nah, he's done. There's a lump the size of a egg already"

Any Class A level minor league baseball team with 6 weeks training could beat any/best cricket team

I know you're trolling, but no. Simply because it's a different sport. Just as we can't say vice versa.

Just from the batting side if it, because the ball bounces (doesn't have to), there's more angles to deal with and so makes it harder to hit because the batter has more decisions. In baseball, knees and shoulders, ball has to be there or you don't have to hit it. Cricket, it's feet to head and whether it bounces and by how much. Depending on the game (state) you might have to try to hit it because you pretty much can't score if you don't.

I'm assuming the Michael Papps one is there. I was there for that match. When he got dinged a second time we (in the crowd) were like "toughen up". The guy behind us (with the binoculars) shook his head and said "nah, he's done. There's a lump the size of a egg already"
Yeah, the second one's in there, the one where he needs to take a few steps back to stop him going on his backside. He copped a nasty one that time. Gotta say, it's one of the reasons I loved watching Brett Lee, he could be absolutely vicious, i.e., when he got to bowl to Piers Morgan. <Lmaoo>

Yeah, the second one's in there, the one where he needs to take a few steps back to stop him going on his backside. He copped a nasty one that time. Gotta say, it's one of the reasons I loved watching Brett Lee, he could be absolutely vicious, i.e., when he got to bowl to Piers Morgan. <Lmaoo>

I was there live for Papps' one. Heard a crack from 100m odd away. Never the same after that (very few are)

That Piers Morgan one was stupid tbh. He didn't have to. He should've either bounced one so far over his head it wouldn't have hit him or sent a quick one under the bat. The continued short balls just made him look like a bully.

They all get soft in their old age. Dale Steyn before the arms went out was a even scarier. The one on Craig Cumming where he broke his jaw... ugh.

I was there live for Papps' one. Heard a crack from 100m odd away. Never the same after that (very few are)

That Piers Morgan one was stupid tbh. He didn't have to. He should've either bounced one so far over his head it wouldn't have hit him or sent a quick one under the bat. The continued short balls just made him look like a bully.

They all get soft in their old age. Dale Steyn before the arms went out was a even scarier. The one on Craig Cumming where he broke his jaw... ugh.
I've been to a quite a few matches here in The Netherlands when I still lived in The Hague, never saw anything even close to that, couple of knocks on the helmet, never any damage. Thankfully.
I think it's more a case of there being pretty much no one on Earth, let alone Down Under, who likes Piers Morgan, and as I recall, he'd been calling him out for weeks, telling to bring it and so on. Can't really feel sorry for Piers, and Lee coming across as a bully? Yeah, well, allright, I'll give you that one. LOL
Still, no real damage done, just a couple of bruises and a cracked rib.

Yeah, Dale Steyn was a maniac in his day, really enjoyed watching Shane Bond bowl as well. And I still have a soft spot for Darren Gough, that pudgy little man could bowl a mean spell at times!

Great first day! Smith alone got more than half of his team's total. Without him theyd be toast...what a player!

Joe Root is a fucking cunt and you bet he’ll make some big scores, it’s a matter of who stays with him and whether Warner and Smith can match him.

If Joe Root is a cunt then what does that make Smith and (especially) Warner?

If Joe Root is a cunt then what does that make Smith and (especially) Warner?

Smith is ok, but yeah Warner is a little cunt. Root is a great batsman which is why I called him a cunt, he’ll make runs which I don’t like!

Oh and thank fuck for Smith obviously, tough start , great effort by Sids to hang around too.

Root is a level below Smith. He just doesn’t have the hunger to keep batting like Smith does.

I have no issue with him either seems like a decent bloke. In fact there’s hardly any dickheads in either side other than Anderson, Warner and maybe Stokes.

267/4 at stumps. I was expecting more tbh. Was hoping for a bit more positive play. Root again out right after his 50, guess he didn't take Ponting's advice after all. Good maiden century from Burns though!

One of our openers had to deliver and Burns did. Credit to him. Root wasn't amazing but he did his job, ate up a lot of deliveries and kept things steady.

Back