The Asch Experiment(Social Conformity)

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just watched a movie(Experimter) about the Stanly Miligram and everytime I think of those I am really shaken up. I had only found out about those tests a few months ago from a poster here on Sherdog and since than have done a little research on my own and I still think he tests were valid even though some says they are debunked.

But I just learned about The Ash Experiment and that is just as mind blowning. I know people think for themselfs but the test shows that people want to blend in instead of standing out.

the videos explains it better.

Spoiler= Stanley Milgrams test for those who have never seen it

Last edited:
That's like the basis of political parties isn't it?

Shit like this is hard to understand. I believe it but just dont understand

People just sit there waiting for other people to react first.

This is actually good thread.

Maybe if you'd have posted it as a question, it would have taken off with the dim-bulbs better?

Now myself, being an over-all asshole I'm seldom swayed by group pressures. But I can see how many are. Seems its easy street.

I want this thread to stick around. Will try to contribute later.

Why not now? You know, for the group?

This is actually good thread.

Maybe if you'd have posted it as a question, it would have taken off with the dim-bulbs better?

Now myself, being an over-all asshole I'm seldom swayed by group pressures. But I can see how many are. Seems its easy street.

I thought about asking it in a question form but couldnt see a way for people to be honest. Being behind the screen makes you a individual and frees you from some of the peer pressure of belonging to social groups.

and that raised the question of does the same type of wanting to blend it apply over the internet today and on social media like myspace, facebook,sherdog,etc..

I'm fairly well-versed in psychology experiments and I remember the one where there's a simulated fire and the dumbfucks just keep sitting there.

So now whenever there is even a possibility something could be amiss, I'm the motherfucker that will make a big ass scene and take charge and yell obscenities and shit. And I am not even joking, lol.

read Obedience to Authority years ago, interesting read.

but not all that surprising

except for that one guy maybe

different experiments for different reasons. theres a difference between obedience, conformity, and compliance

milgram's shock experiment was to test obedience to authority figure

asch conformity experiment was to test conformity to a group setting. conformity is changing ones attitude/behaviors/beliefs to societal normal pressured to be real/imagined (majority influence). the asch experiment showed the strength of social influence on normative conformity (desire to fit into a group because of fear of rejection)

I'm fairly well-versed in psychology experiments and I remember the one where there's a simulated fire and the dumbfucks just keep sitting there.

So now whenever there is even a possibility something could be amiss, I'm the motherfucker that will make a big ass scene and take charge and yell obscenities and shit. And I am not even joking, lol.

Which experiment was that? Sounds a lot like something that actually happened here awhile ago. A ship sank and the people (mostly middle school kids) in it just sat there until it sank and they all died.

Which experiment was that? Sounds a lot like something that actually happened here awhile ago. A ship sank and the people (mostly middle school kids) in it just sat there until it sank and they all died.

Second video I posted. called Dangerous Conformity.

Haha. I kept thinking about, if the test was a little different and Everyone in the room just got up and started running as if they were in danger when No Signs of danger was present, would the test subject look for the reason of why(like smoke,gun shots,etc) or would they just haul ass too.

First off, man thanks for responding to my post in Dragon's movie thread. I'm definitely going to give the movie a watch at some point.

As someone who reads a lot about psychology (and for a while wanted to be a psychologist) I love the Asch experiment. The work of guys like Asch, Miligram, Zimbardo, etc is fascinating to me.

I remember reading a really intriguing breakdown of the Asch experiment though where it basically pointed out that there were several different theories as to why the people who conformed did, in fact, express a visual-spatial judgment that was clearly wrong when the confederates said it.

I don't remember exactly the points made, but I think one theory was that the subjects clearly knew that the confederates were wrong but didn't want to stand out from the crowd so agreed with them. The other theory was that the subjects did not see what the confederates saw but figured, "oh shit, I see that line as clearly longer, but I must be wrong since they are all in agreement that the other line is longer."

But a third theory is that the subjects were legitimately swayed by the opinion of the group- with the unanimous opinion of the confederates actually influencing their perception and making them "see" the lines in a distorted way.

Is that the diffusion of responsibility one? Where basically everybody was sitting around because they expected someone else among the group to take action.

I think that experiment was done in the wake of the Kitty Genovese murder. That shit was absolutely horrendous.

read Obedience to Authority years ago, interesting read.

I order it off amazon today and looking forward to reading it.

For me the results of the test were surprising. I believe the results are genuine and that sets me back a little but the test was repeated a few time in that last couple of yrs and the results have stay the same almost.

Interesting thread idea, Cheese.
I saw the the movie the other day.

Second video I posted. called Dangerous Conformity.

Ah thanks. I saw the video. This reminds me to never trust groups of people and just go with my gut instinct. I'm sure I have been guilty of this same phenomenon, just not in a situation as dramatic or life-threatening.

Have you read On Killing? It talks about similar behaviors, but the opposite of diffusion of responsibility. It's easier to get people to do something (in this case to get soldiers to shoot at the enemy) if there are several factors present.

ye conformity, groupthink, & other social psychology topics r really interesing

yall hear of the murder of kitty genovese (how rorsach from watchmen got his mask XD). topics on bystander effect & diffusion of responsibility

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

I remember the case but hadn't really known about the research on it, I.E Bystander effect.

I just watch this experiment video and the results is not really surprising to me but it really feels that it should be. I know people have are better than that by not jumping to help but seeing no one do anything is kinda feel like the norm it seems. This confuses me a little bit

Last edited:
Back