The Arlovski/ Timmeh debate

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Alot of people are bitching and whining about Arlovski's return and saying it makes no sense. Many of the same people argue that if Arlovski returns so should Timmy.

Here's my two cents. Arlovski has been on (somewhat of) a tear. 6-1-1. Only loss was to AJ in a competitive, albeit unanimous fight. The Sylvia No Contest was kind of silly. I can understand from the perspective that Arlovski and Tim are adversaries and have a history, but let's be honest. That rivalry took place years ago, making it slighty intriguing (but not really enough to draw) and Arlovski pretty much had his way with him in the recent fight until that silly stoppage.

Tim's looked flat out terrible lately. Lost the last 3 (convincingly) and hasn't beat anyone of consequence in a few years. And, to be frank, nobody ever really liked watching Tim. He was one of the least popular heavyweights in the history of the UFC, and he was the champion!

The only reason it would make sense to sign Tim is for the Arlovski again, which I mentioned above, wouldn't be too compelling of a draw, in my opinion. Arlovski on the other hand has earned his way back. Sure, he's not the Arlovski of old, but I'm willing to bet he can still beat some of the lower level heavies.

I could be totally wrong.

Thoughts????

Sylvia is 300 pounds and doesn't even train anymore.

Who the fuck is arguing they should bring back Tim Sylvia because Arlovski is?

The only reason to bring Timmah back to the UFC that even kind of makes sense would be the fact that they recently booked their first show up in Maine. I have no idea why they would offer him anything beyond a one-fight deal however.

With how huge UFC has gotten, they will put butts in seats in Tim's hometown regardless of whether or not he's on the card. He's past the point where he could be competitive, and although they could accommodate him with a favorable match-up, there's nothing in it for the UFC.

For his part, Arlovski is also past his prime, but can still be competitive against lower-tier and mid-tier fighters. HW division could use guys like him - well-rounded veterans who are not going to be contenders, but can function as capable gatekeepers.

With how huge UFC has gotten, they will put butts in seats in Tim's hometown regardless of whether or not he's on the card. He's past the point where he could be competitive, and although they could accommodate him with a favorable match-up, there's nothing in it for the UFC.

For his part, Arlovski is also past his prime, but can still be competitive against lower-tier and mid-tier fighters. HW division could use guys like him - well-rounded veterans who are not going to be contenders, but can function as capable gatekeepers.

Doesn't hurt that Arlovski is entertaining to watch, win or lose.

I don't think anyone is actually saying it's time to bring Tim back. It feels like Dana brought this up 2 years after there was actually a minor internet push for it to happen and some people that watch his videos are seizing on it. At the point where people were asking for Tim to come back, he was 7-1 since the Mercer KO, somewhat similar to where Arlovski is at now.

Nobody believes that Tim is UFC-bound on a 3-fight (should be 4-fight) losing streak.

I don't think anyone is actually saying it's time to bring Tim back. It feels like Dana brought this up 2 years after there was actually a minor internet push for it to happen and some people that watch his videos are seizing on it. At the point where people were asking for Tim to come back, he was 7-1 since the Mercer KO, somewhat similar to where Arlovski is at now.

Nobody believes that Tim is UFC-bound on a 3-fight (should be 4-fight) losing streak.

I always felt Dana believes Tim embarassed the entire sport of MMA by getting KOed by Mercer. Even when he was winning he was showing up to these fights massively out of shape. Even in the Mercer fight he showed up at over 300lbs. With Tims build he actually shouldn't have to cut weight to make the HW limit. He always performed his best between 250-260 lbs. That 1 in the 7-1 streak was Abe Wagner who was already a TUF washout UFC passed on.

I always felt Dana believes Tim embarassed the entire sport of MMA by getting KOed by Mercer. Even when he was winning he was showing up to these fights massively out of shape. Even in the Mercer fight he showed up at over 300lbs. With Tims build he actually shouldn't have to cut weight to make the HW limit. He always performed his best between 250-260 lbs. That 1 in the 7-1 streak was Abe Wagner who was already a TUF washout UFC passed on.

I agree with you, I wasn't on the Tim train (or against it, pretty apathetic really). But this is just Dana twisting the knife 2 years after the fact and people posting about it as if there's a current push for Tim to return.

i think most feel tim ruled the ufc heavyweight division at its weakest point and that the was never great. Plus i think dana hates him

Tim at his best shape still had to cut weight to make 265 if im not mistaken. Here is a pic. He has always been freaking HUGE
susumu14.jpg

Back