The Aoki Mount

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sha, Sep 25, 2010.

1. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

What did you guys think of Aoki's knee-level mount on Aurelio at Dream 16? On one hand I can understand that since you're not sitting on the hips you're not at risk of getting rolled over, but it seems harder to generate power and get a submission.

I was also wondering why Aurelio wasn't trying harder to shrimp out, but maybe Aoki did it so tight that he felt he would've just wasted his energy?

2. Katsumi Yamada

Katsumi Yamada Silver Belt

i have seen BJ Penn use this before in MMA aswell.

i guess its effective for control and GnP.

3. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

Speaking of BJ Penn, Aoki was also using a lot of BJ Penn style passing (a.k.a. the "dope mount" position). His ground game is obviously improving all the time.

4. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

I didn't see this, but are you talking about when the guy on top is basically sitting on your knees instead of your hips or chest?

There's one guy in my gym who does this, but only before passing on to full mount. It's a bitch to get out of, especially when he is really holding your knees tight. I would love some tips on how to escape from that since shrimping or bridging is impossible with your knees pinned. to the ground.

5. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

^ search Aoki Aurelio on youtube. It's in 2 parts if you wanna see it. I don't wanna link a full fight. I don't think that's allowed.

6. kodokan

kodokan Purple Belt

It is very effective for control as someone said above.
    However, it is alot harder to go for quick transitions and subs from that position. I had the feeling Aoki wasn't looking for subs all the aggressively as he normally is, during his fight against Aurelio. He was in total control but never left the mount, and didn't really transition or explode into any sub attempts.
    He is showing versatility in his ground game.

7. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

Yeah, seen this now... It sucks being in that position (bottom that is). Your legs are just stretched straight out and you don't have any power or leverage to do anything with your hips!

But on the other hand, the guy on top isn't going to submit you from that position :)

8. Ring>>Cage

Ring>>Cage Purple Belt

He did cut him with some good gnp though

9. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

Yeah, but it seems like you can't generate any real power from that position as your hips are so far from his head that you can't posture up to get any power into your punch.

10. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

He wasn't going for power shots though. I think his plan was to take Aurelio down and Nick-Diaz him for the win.

11. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

yeah but you can deliver punches that will travel longer without really posturing up

if he had mounted higher up he would have had to gone chest to chest to really control a good BJJ guy like Aurelio

this was kinda inbetween risking being put back in guard if he postured up to strike or not having any power with going chest to chest and still risking being reversed

12. thedoc56**

thedoc56** Blue Belt

nick diaz him as in knock him the fuck out? or choke him thefuck out?

13. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

My instructor uses it on me whenever he wants to make my rolling experience a living hell. Sucks to be in and is actually painful for the guy on bottom, but obviously limits your offensive options from top. You need your arms more for base when doing this, so you can't posture up as well to strike. And of course you need to work your mount up high to go for most submissions.

14. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

So is there any good defense? Or do you just need to wait it out?