Television The Anime and Manga Thread: 10th Anniversary Edition (old version, use new thread)

The rebuilds are completely different than the series after movie 1. Movie 1 is a more tight retelling of the first X number of episodes of the series. Movies 2 and 3 and next up 4 are far different.

The original series was written as it went along and you can see the point in EP 14 where it drastically shifts. And rumor was that the last few episodes had a very limited budget as can be seen by the animation.
But the regular season of Eva was a lot of Anno working through depression and etc. End of Evangelion was a re-write of that.

So if you want to be speaking actual fact Eva had the ending redone ONE TIME in EoE. The rebuilds are their own thing.

And it is seen by the anime community as one of the best anime franchises of all time.
The original series, Death and Rebirth, End of Evangelion, Rebuild. Four different attempts at an ending.

Sorry, but nothing you say will change my opinion that Eva is a bunch of try-hard pseudo-intellectual teen angst garbage. Though, in fairness, I never bothered to watch any of Rebuild because I thought the first three tries all sucked. So who knows, maybe Rebuild breaks the streak and is amazing, but I don't care enough to find out.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorites and a classic. Koike’s other work is good too. You would probably like the Samurai Executioner series too.
I’m reading it now. Like it so far.

I’m a bit of a Samurai cinephile. So I had seen the lone wolf and cub movies and some of the TV show before.

I think you're ready for this:

220px-Vagabond21.jpg

And by this, I meant huge disappointment since the mangaka of one of the best illustrated and written historical fiction manga seems to have no intention of finishing it.
Yea, it sucks, but at least I'll get to finish my other two favorite mangas HxH and Berserk. :)

Oda should just end One Piece and start a new series at the same time with Kishimoto and Kubo.

• The Death of the "Big Three" - When these threads started One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were a big part of the weekly discussion. The latter two have been gone for years now but nothing has risen to take their place. Everybody keeps wondering, what's going to be the next big shonen mega-hit, but it's never come.

I disagree with this. I think My Hero Academia has risen up and could potentially eclipse Bleach. I've never watched Naruto so I can't comment on that. One Piece I've only started watching recently and I don't really get the appeal yet even though I'm like 90 episodes in to a 900+ episode show.

I think My Hero Academia could potentially be the biggest anime of the modern era.

I disagree with this. I think My Hero Academia has risen up and could potentially eclipse Bleach. I've never watched Naruto so I can't comment on that. One Piece I've only started watching recently and I don't really get the appeal yet even though I'm like 90 episodes in to a 900+ episode show.

I think My Hero Academia could potentially be the biggest anime of the modern era.

The One Piece manga is hilarious. The arcs and characters work better in that medium IMO. I chuckle when watching the anime, but when I was reading the manga I would be in tears laughing my ass off. There are just some moments that are captured better in manga.

Hmmm, honestly: I dunno. Sooooooo....lets go to the data!
sales data.png
Ah, there we go. Manga sales data, top 10 selling series for each year 2008 through 2019. I couldn't find data before 2008 and some years had top 10 while others had top 20 so I only included the data from the top 10 for each year. It's organized by first year of appearance and then longevity.

What can we take from this information?
-Well, One Piece has had an insane run, being the #1 seller in every year except the last year (Demon Slayer dethroned it due to it's massively popular anime adaption...don't be surprised to see it's sales fall off a cliff for 2021).
-Bleach didn't end until 2016 but it's popularity had fallen dramatically by 2012. So even though it hadn't ended it's run yet the "Big 3" were really the "Big 2" by the time Naruto ended in 2014.
-Attack on Titan has been very popular but it's not really the kind of series I was talking about: it's not weekly and it's not really an action/battle series.
-Somebody had mentioned Magi recently and I couldn't remember how popular it was at the time. The charts says: never a contender for one of the top spots.
-Both Assassination Classroom and The Seven Deadly Sins looked like they might be contenders at one time but neither had the longevity. Remember, Bleach and Naruto were top sellers for a solid decade and have total sales in the 120mil and 250mil range, respectively.
-My Hero Academia looks like it might be a solid contender. It's had a steady level of popularity on par with what Naruto was pulling for sales numbers at its end. I'm not really "plugged in to the community" so I don't know how much discussion it generates elsewhere, but it barely gets mentioned in these threads (for reference, the Big 3 were regularly generating a page or more of discussion every week around here circa 2012-2014).
-Kingdom might be another contender, but it's historical setting and more grounded (well, in comparison to a typical battle shonen at least) nature make me hesitate to consider it. Don't get me wrong, it's among my favorite series of the last five years, but I'm not sure it belongs in this discussion.

Any mAnga readers know if My Hero is winding down?

Great Pretender on Netflix was pretty good I enjoyed it. I like con movies like that though. They don't get to elaborate with the cons but its still good.

Demon Slayer visually is amazing. The story is nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable none the less.

Yep similar to Fire Force which I also think looks amazing but the story\characters are even worse than Demon Slayer so I just dropped it after the first season.

Great Pretender on Netflix was pretty good I enjoyed it. I like con movies like that though. They don't get to elaborate with the cons but its still good.

Yep similar to Fire Force which I also think looks amazing but the story\characters are even worse than Demon Slayer so I just dropped it after the first season.

The trailer looked really good. Thanks for the review!

Hmmm, honestly: I dunno. Sooooooo....lets go to the data!
View attachment 802595
Ah, there we go. Manga sales data, top 10 selling series for each year 2008 through 2019. I couldn't find data before 2008 and some years had top 10 while others had top 20 so I only included the data from the top 10 for each year. It's organized by first year of appearance and then longevity.

What can we take from this information?
-Well, One Piece has had an insane run, being the #1 seller in every year except the last year (Demon Slayer dethroned it due to it's massively popular anime adaption...don't be surprised to see it's sales fall off a cliff for 2021).
-Bleach didn't end until 2016 but it's popularity had fallen dramatically by 2012. So even though it hadn't ended it's run yet the "Big 3" were really the "Big 2" by the time Naruto ended in 2014.
-Attack on Titan has been very popular but it's not really the kind of series I was talking about: it's not weekly and it's not really an action/battle series.
-Somebody had mentioned Magi recently and I couldn't remember how popular it was at the time. The charts says: never a contender for one of the top spots.
-Both Assassination Classroom and The Seven Deadly Sins looked like they might be contenders at one time but neither had the longevity. Remember, Bleach and Naruto were top sellers for a solid decade and have total sales in the 120mil and 250mil range, respectively.
-My Hero Academia looks like it might be a solid contender. It's had a steady level of popularity on par with what Naruto was pulling for sales numbers at its end. I'm not really "plugged in to the community" so I don't know how much discussion it generates elsewhere, but it barely gets mentioned in these threads (for reference, the Big 3 were regularly generating a page or more of discussion every week around here circa 2012-2014).
-Kingdom might be another contender, but it's historical setting and more grounded (well, in comparison to a typical battle shonen at least) nature make me hesitate to consider it. Don't get me wrong, it's among my favorite series of the last five years, but I'm not sure it belongs in this discussion.
Anyone watch Kingdom? Looks like it's pretty popular among Manga. Just curious if the anime is worth the watch.

Been watching Ghost in the Shell 2045 on Netflix. A lot of people seemed to dislike it but I've been enjoying it so far, though I will say that the 2nd half is far better than the first half. I'm on Episode 9 so far.

Just remind you people that SAO Alicization will come to Netflix on October 1st.

Anyone watch Kingdom? Looks like it's pretty popular among Manga. Just curious if the anime is worth the watch.
Unfortunately I can't help you on that; never seen it. The manga's really solid with good characters and a focus on ancient military campaigns that's not really seen anywhere else except maybe Historie (though Kingdom is still an action series and the fights can be quite exaggerated).

A new trend is the rise of original Creations of streaming services, the biggest hit this season is a crunchy roll original. Also Netflix is doing great with the great pretender getting good reviews.

I'm not a big fan of webtoon because I don't like the artwork or the coloring style but I like that it's good material for anime series.

Unfortunately I can't help you on that; never seen it. The manga's really solid with good characters and a focus on ancient military campaigns that's not really seen anywhere else except maybe Historie (though Kingdom is still an action series and the fights can be quite exaggerated).

I love how Kingdom will exaggerate the size of certain characters as a way of showing how they were "larger than life" personalities or warriors like Ou Ki. Or Shin for example. With his growth as a general, he is being drawn slightly bigger with each growth as a warrior/leader.

The original series, Death and Rebirth, End of Evangelion, Rebuild. Four different attempts at an ending.

Sorry, but nothing you say will change my opinion that Eva is a bunch of try-hard pseudo-intellectual teen angst garbage. Though, in fairness, I never bothered to watch any of Rebuild because I thought the first three tries all sucked. So who knows, maybe Rebuild breaks the streak and is amazing, but I don't care enough to find out.

1) the original series
2) EoE
^ these are the only two endings to original story

The Rebuilds are entirely different. They are not a different ending. The are pretty much a different everything

Death and rebirth don't really count as the first part is clip show and second part would be what is in EoE

But I guess you are just a normie so Evangelion would not be your thing.....But it is a classic and one of the most famous anime for a reason.

Back