Television The Anime and Manga Thread: 10th Anniversary Edition (old version, use new thread)

I've never really watched this sort of thing but One Punch Man caught my attention and I blind bought the first season. Haven't watched it yet but I'm eagerly anticipating it. If I enjoy it I'll pick up Season 2.

I heard Akira is the GOAT cyberpunk movie. Is that true?
Akira is awesome. I really liked the tone of it, and the animation/atmosphere is sublime.

Ghost in the Shell, Psycho Pass (series) are my fav Cyberpunk Anime. The Stand alone complex series from Ghost in the Shell is excellent too.

OPM S1 is money. I never finished season2, you can tell it's made by a different studio

Off tje top of my head, my other fav Anime series are Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Death Note, Cowboy Beebop, Steins Gate

They are all elite for me. I think Full Metal might be my all time fav. It really opens up, and despite the steampunk-ish setting, and Magic/alchemy, it's quite grounded. I love the huge world and large cast of compelling characters.

2020.12.30-12.59-boundingintocomics-5febd10ad79d5.png

^ When anime HITS you in the feels

Akira is awesome. I really liked the tone of it, and the animation/atmosphere is sublime.

Ghost in the Shell, Psycho Pass (series) are my fav Cyberpunk Anime. The Stand alone complex series from Ghost in the Shell is excellent too.

OPM S1 is money. I never finished season2, you can tell it's made by a different studio

Off tje top of my head, my other fav Anime series are Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Death Note, Cowboy Beebop, Steins Gate

They are all elite for me. I think Full Metal might be my all time fav. It really opens up, and despite the steampunk-ish setting, and Magic/alchemy, it's quite grounded. I love the huge world and large cast of compelling characters.

Why'd a different studio take over for OPM season 2 if season 1 was so amazing? Wouldn't they want to keep the team that made the show great?

Why'd a different studio take over for OPM season 2 if season 1 was so amazing? Wouldn't they want to keep the team that made the show great?

Usually schedule conflicts like in this case as well

the head director of season 1 pretty much brought together an all star team of animators.

Head director wasnt avaivable for season 2 due schedule so to another studio it go

Usually schedule conflicts

In this case the head director of season 1 pretty much brought together an all star team of animators

So it was a different director and different team of animators for season 2?

I still recommend you watch season 1 though

Its pretty much one of the best anime seasons made

Thanks. Definitely will.

So Season 2 isn't as recommended? Is it just sort of meh?

...not really? Tetsuo's transformation is pretty iconic and memorable but there's no head-in-a-jar, monster or otherwise. I guess he could be remembering the dissection samples but those never transform and are such a brief part of the film that it's hard to even find a good screencap of them on google image search.

For the life of me I can't remember what the hell it was we watched. It would have been around 2001. The teacher popped in an anime vhs for the class. But I don't remember much about it. I don't know if it was new at the time or an older release. All that seems to come to me is there was a head in a container, and then at some point a creature grows into this huge monster and starts attacking a city. I think it was the head that got let out and turned into something else but I can't be sure. It's extremely vague. The only thing I'm certain of is that it was an anime that I'd never seen before and haven't seen since.

I could have swore the name was "Ghost in the Shell" but apparently that's not right. Is there any anime with a similar name? What were the popular anime movies around that time? Anything that may fit the bill?

For the life of me I can't remember what the hell it was we watched. It would have been around 2001. The teacher popped in an anime vhs for the class. But I don't remember much about it. I don't know if it was new at the time or an older release. All that seems to come to me is there was a head in a container, and then at some point a creature grows into this huge monster and starts attacking a city. I think it was the head that got let out and turned into something else but I can't be sure. It's extremely vague. The only thing I'm certain of is that it was an anime that I'd never seen before and haven't seen since.

I could have swore the name was "Ghost in the Shell" but apparently that's not right. Is there any anime with a similar name? What were the popular anime movies around that time? Anything that may fit the bill?
Maybe The Guyver? I haven't seen it so I can't comment on the specifics of your memory but it was available on VHS at the time, featured a lot of biological monsters, and has a similar enough name to GitS that it could be misplaced in a foggy memory.

Though Akira does have a dude that transforms into what would qualify as a "giant monster", and while he doesn't attack a city he does end up destroying a large stadium. So even though there's no real "head in a jar" Akira might still fit. Also, regardless of whether its what you're looking for, you should still watch Akira. Just know that it's weird and you have to pay attention to what's going on or it won't make a lick of sense. It's not a "watch it and fiddle on your phone" kind of movie.

Last edited:
Only 3 chapters left for Attack on Titan. Falco's Jaw Titan being able to fly was such a lame cop-out.

The Nissin One Piece Commercials are fucking amazing.

Back