Television The Anime and Manga Thread: 10th Anniversary Edition (old version, use new thread)

What is scanlations?
They are fan done translations. For a print manga the pages are scanned, cleaned, translated, and typeset. Usually by a group of like-minded fans, but sometimes by individuals. For webtoons the scanning step isn't necessary. Technically speaking this is piracy (some might argue fair-use saying that the translation is transformative, but that's pretty BS), but I don't feel bad about it for series without officially available translations; it's not like they're missing out on a sale because I'd never buy something I can't understand. Thankfully more and more series are available through legal services like Webtoon, MANGA Plus, and Crunchyroll.

Lately, I have been in to the historical genre of manga. I would say that I am currently reading several different mangas, or at least have the latest chapter bookmarked, but the manga that are open tabs on my ipad browser are

Kingdom
Golden Kamui
Kendo Shitouden Cestvs
Jagaaaaaan (non-history, horror/sci-fi)

I absolutely love the art form of manga. I used to read the mainstream comics as a kid (Marvel, DC), but as I got older it just didn't resonate with me anymore. My first foray into anime was Ninja Scroll, which hooked me. In most things, I preferred the Japanese market over anything else. In the 90's manga was hard to come by in the US, so I really didn't get to delve into it until around 2010. Ever since, manga is always a tab on my computer at work, or on my ipad. I don't have a dedicated office space in my house, but when I do the shelves are going up and my collections will be put out!

Also, I am determined to only use manga art in my avatars. I used to do the chick stuff like most, but love of manga has surpassed that. haha

• The Death of the "Big Three" - When these threads started One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were a big part of the weekly discussion. The latter two have been gone for years now but nothing has risen to take their place. Everybody keeps wondering, what's going to be the next big shonen mega-hit, but it's never come.

Was Magi by Shinobu Ohtaka not a big hit? I seemed like it was, with the Adventures of Sinbad as a follow up/simulcast at the time. Love her work!!

Like Shokugeki no Soma COMPLETELY
Oh good lord, why did you have to remind me of that final arc? WHYYYYYYY!?!?!?!

This manga is one of the funniest I have ever read. You just got to accept the ridiculousness!
Have you read the whole thing? The final arc is pure unadulterated poopy. I own the physical books for the entire series up until that point and I refuse to complete the collection despite it only being three more volumes. It went from being one of my frequently recommended series to something that I forget existed until just now despite there being ~30 volumes of it on my shelf.

He got so lazy at the end of Bleach though.
Idk. He's been hospitalized for overworking before and the way the pace suddenly went into overdrive, I feel that Shueisha pressured him to end his series no matter how many interviews of him saying otherwise.

Oh good lord, why did you have to remind me of that final arc? WHYYYYYYY!?!?!?!

Have you read the whole thing? The final arc is pure unadulterated poopy. I own the physical books for the entire series up until that point and I refuse to complete the collection despite it only being three more volumes. It went from being one of my frequently recommended series to something that I forget existed until just now despite there being ~30 volumes of it on my shelf.

Yeah, I did finish the whole series. The final arc was pretty crappy, I agree. It just had that typical feel of the mangaka being told to wrap it up because the magazine wanted to get a new series going.

I can’t wait for burn the witch

Kubos art style >>>>>>>>
Kubo has a new series coming? Is someone else writing it while he just does the art? I love his art style but his writing has left a lot to be desired in the past.

Idk. He's been hospitalized for overworking before and the way the pace suddenly went into overdrive, I feel that Shueisha pressured him to end his series no matter how many interviews of him saying otherwise.
If that was the case I feel he should have worked out a deal with Shueisha to give a break the way they did with Oda. Or move from weekly to monthly.

Yeah, I did finish the whole series. The final arc was pretty crappy, I agree. It just had that typical feel of the mangaka being told to wrap it up because the magazine wanted to get a new series going.
The way his dad lost to a nobody. Yes he was a nobody and Soma should have competed against his dad in Blue at the Final (or semifinals as Erina was legit).

He never beat him, but was able to beat the nobody in his second try... Psh!

Last edited:
Kubo has a new series coming? Is someone else writing it while he just does the art? I love his art style but his writing has left a lot to be desired in the past.
It’s an adaptation of a one shot he did a while ago

I feel like the early arcs of bleach are really good and memorable, the power scaling just got out of hand so I expect a short series to be decent

Looking for something new to take up the time until new chapters are released for other manga, I came across Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku. Anybody else reading this? Pretty good so far, here is the plot:

Captured during an assassination mission, Gabimaru is sentenced to be executed, but nothing seems to kill him due to his superhuman body. Believing his love for his wife to be subconsciously keeping him alive, executioner Yamada Asaemon Sagiri offers him the chance to be pardoned of all crimes by the Shogunate if he finds the elixir of life on Shinsenkyo, a legendary realm recently discovered southwest of the Ryukyu Kingdom. After losing five expedition teams sent to the island, this time the Shogunate sends a group of death row convicts. The convicts are each given a Yamada Asaemon executioner, who they must return with in order to obtain the pardon.

Looking for something new to take up the time until new chapters are released for other manga, I came across Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku. Anybody else reading this? Pretty good so far, here is the plot:

Captured during an assassination mission, Gabimaru is sentenced to be executed, but nothing seems to kill him due to his superhuman body. Believing his love for his wife to be subconsciously keeping him alive, executioner Yamada Asaemon Sagiri offers him the chance to be pardoned of all crimes by the Shogunate if he finds the elixir of life on Shinsenkyo, a legendary realm recently discovered southwest of the Ryukyu Kingdom. After losing five expedition teams sent to the island, this time the Shogunate sends a group of death row convicts. The convicts are each given a Yamada Asaemon executioner, who they must return with in order to obtain the pardon.
Yup, there's a few of us who have it on our reading list. I haven't read it in a while though and need to catch up.

Back