Television The Anime and Manga Thread: 10th Anniversary Edition (old version, use new thread)

JBSchroeds

99 problems, and they're all turtles!
@Silver
Reaction score
NEW THREAD! NO NECROS!
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-anime-and-manga-thread-v44.4163927/

Welcome to the Anime and Manga thread here in the mayberry. Yes, you read that title right, today (September 23, 2020) is the 10th anniversary of this thread series. When I started them I never expected them to run this long. Welcome to new and returning posters alike. Feel free to post about whatever you may be reading or watching. Many regular posters are very well read/watched and can recommend you quality series in virtually any genre.

Being a 10th anniversary thread I thought I'd start us off by asking: what do you think are some of the seminal series/moments/trends of the last decade? Here's some that I've thought of
  • The Death of the "Big Three" - When these threads started One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were a big part of the weekly discussion. The latter two have been gone for years now but nothing has risen to take their place. Everybody keeps wondering, what's going to be the next big shonen mega-hit, but it's never come.
  • The Rise of the Webtoon - Korean Webtoons, and their single-scrolling format, have really come into their own. The last year has even seen anime adaptions being pulled from their ranks. There are many quality series done in the webtoon format and even english-language creators are starting to publish in it. The webtoon format has three main advantages over manga's traditional page-and-panel: first is the use of full color, second is the format works well on both computer and mobile devices, and third is the greater flexibility of panel layouts. The main disadvantage is they can't really be published in traditional physical books, though that is less of an issue every year as print media continues to die. One of the major publishers even does free english translations so you can follow their entire series from start to finish without resorting to scanlation websites [webtoons.com].
  • Hajime no Ippo passes the 1000 chapter mark.
  • Hunter x Hunter solidifies its nickname Hiatus x Hiatus, never having published more than 30 consecutive chapters and even passing 80 weeks during its current (and longest) hiatus.
  • Berserk publishes less than 50 chapters over the last decade. Damn you IdolMaster!
  • Isekai become BIG - Isekai, or the transported/reincarnated in a fantasy world genre, have become omnipresent. It seems traditional fantasy has almost been entirely supplanted by this plot gimmick. Protagonists being splattered by trucks in the opening pages of the series has attained such meme status (seach "truck-kun") that some series have started to use it as a joke or subversion.

Last edited:
Hunter x Hunter solidifies its nickname Hiatus x Hiatus, never having published more than 30 consecutive chapters and even passing 80 weeks during its current (and longest) hiatus.

This one is a bummer,
Togashi is one of my all time favs,
absolutely loved Yu Yu Hakusho before,
Hisoka is one of the greatest Vilain of all time,
that stories took a left turn,
and can't seem to get going.

It's just sad.

I didn’t read the god of high school comic but I’m digging the anime

it’s got terrible pacing but besides that it’s 10/10

I enjoyed the comic for a goodly while (it had some fantastic fight artwork) but it eventually jumps the shark. Like, COMPLETELY.

{<huh}

I actually quit reading way before the anime was announced. Shit was crazy. And I'm down with crazy. It's shiny and flashy but shallow. Checked the anime, again it's shiny and flashy. Actually played episode 12 as background noise but didn't bother to finish. One thing I can say is Koreans know how to jack Japan's shit and package it to the world.

I love webtoons! I like the Tower of God series, unOrdianry, Lookism, Deor currently. From the completed ones I love Noblesse, Dragnarok, and unTouchable. Outside of Webtoons One Piece and One Punch Man is the shit! Back in the good old days there was Trace manga, and Trace 1.5 and Trace 2.0, unfortunately they stopped translating it even though it was very unique.

{<huh}

I actually quit reading way before the anime was announced. Shit was crazy. And I'm down with crazy. It's shiny and flashy but shallow. Checked the anime, again it's shiny and flashy. Actually played episode 12 as background noise but didn't bother to finish. One thing I can say is Koreans know how to jack Japan's shit and package it to the world.
It’s like non stop action
I’m 8 episodes in and I barely know what’s happening plot wise but I’m super invested

I enjoyed the comic for a goodly while (it had some fantastic fight artwork) but it eventually jumps the shark. Like, COMPLETELY.

that’s a bummer

I’m going to have to really start digging into webtoons
I’ve read a few of the popular ones
Peerless Dad is awesome though it drags a bit sometimes
Tower of God is great
And of course Solo Leveling is just all the fun is f a power fantasy

I love webtoons! I like the Tower of God series, unOrdianry, Lookism, Deor currently. From the completed ones I love Noblesse, Dragnarok, and unTouchable. Outside of Webtoons One Piece and One Punch Man is the shit! Back in the good old days there was Trace manga, and Trace 1.5 and Trace 2.0, unfortunately they stopped translating it even though it was very unique.
If you're a fan of webtoons you might also want to check out:
Gosu
Wind Breaker
Eleceed
Solo Leveling
Peerless Dad
Second Life Ranker
I am the Sorcerer King
Raid
Legend of the Northern Blade
Sword Sheath's Child
Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World

Gosu
Wind Breaker
Eleceed
Solo Leveling
Peerless Dad
Second Life Ranker
I am the Sorcerer King
Raid
Sword Sheath's Child
Nice uh

This. Writer doesn't know how to pace. Imagine if Toriyama went from kid Goku fighting the Red Ribbon army to fighting Majin Buu in 2 episodes.

Gosu
Wind Breaker
Eleceed
Solo Leveling
Peerless Dad
Second Life Ranker
I am the Sorcerer King
Raid
Sword Sheath's Child

I forgot about Gosu, love that one too! I guess it's the "I want to have superhero powers" in me that loves those types of toons. I couldn't find any of those using the search function other than Wind Breaker, its better this way anyways, too many recommendations will confuse me. I subscribed to it so I don't forget, thank for the recommendations Sherbro!

I forgot about Gosu, love that one too! I guess it's the "I want to have superhero powers" in me that loves those types of toons. I couldn't find any of those using the search function other than Wind Breaker, its better this way anyways, too many recommendations will confuse me. I subscribed to it so I don't forget, thank for the recommendations Sherbro!
Gosu, Wind Breaker, and Eleceed [LINK] are the only three on that list that are on Naver's Webtoons site. The rest are all scanlations.

This. Writer doesn't know how to pace. Imagine if Toriyama went from kid Goku fighting the Red Ribbon army to fighting Majin Buu in 2 episodes.
I finally gave up when characters started literally throwing planets at each other. It had been really far out there before that point, but I just couldn't take it anymore when that happened. It was a "shake your head and close the browser" moment.

Still only watching Naurto Kai for now. I'm about to reach the half way point (at least in terms of episodes). Should last me at least a month or two and then I'll finish up Tower of God and catch up on Black Clover. Hopefully by then new seasons will be out for other shows.

Back