The American Left will once again become anti-military after Obama leaves

I know you hate the man, but you're giving him too much credit. The instability wasn't created by Obama. It was created by decade of dictatorships brutalizing its people and those people rose up, largely with the help of the internet.

He did make mistakes, like Bush, in thinking these revolts would identify with western ideals.

There is some merit to your post (though I think you're soft-pedaling Obama's wrondheadedness). But the real point of the thread is how the American left was largely silent about O's wars and how TS predicts they are going to, all of a sudden, find their conscience. Full disclosure, before Iraq I was more idealistic about liberating these populations from their dictators but now that we've seen the results I come down more on the side of an imperfect stability. O's track record on this was terrible, Hillary's would have been worse and I'll be hard on Trump if he proves to be more of the same.

I miss the anti-war protests. At least they were protesting things that mattered. Now you have complete silence when Obama bombs a Doctor's Without Borders hospital, and instead they are blocking highways so that creepy dudes can use the women's changing rooms.

Doubt it, the 'left' is too far gone now and is made up almost entirely of fully paid up, all singing, all dancing, corporatist, globalist, warmongering shills. Just look at how they are already sabre rattling towards Russia and wanting to escalate conflict in the ME, just because they think it will make life more difficult for Trump. These are the same people who are genuinely pissed off whenever it looks like Trump is going to make good on his promise of creating jobs for ordinary citizens.

The paradigm shift the political landscape has taken over the last few years has been pretty momentous.

This. If anything, they will be screaming for more wars. Wherever the globalists need invaded--the left will call Trump a coward for not invading that place.

Yeah, this never happened:

Anti-drones activists plan month of protest over Obama's 'kill' policy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/27/anti-drone-activists-protest-obama

35DD9F7B00000578-3669218-image-a-14_1467401877269.jpg

Of course, any protest is proportional to the level of crime committed. So a full-scale invasion responsible for over a million deaths = massive protests. Drone campaign = smaller protests.

Far more hilarious was the American right pretending to not be warmongers for a few months during the election. They didn't like Hillary's hawkish stances because they're interested in peace all of a sudden. The party that has uniformly criticized anyone that's not a violent aggressor, that adores military action, that's fascinated with maintaining American imperialism, somehow didn't agree with the most hawkish Democratic candidate in several decades.

Really impressive stuff.

'member when NION and ANSWER and other hangers on like Code Pink, various Marxist organizations and of course Islamists and other muslims used to protest wars and acts of aggression by the US?

Let's remember the Left wasn't protesting because of the possibility of losing American lives, they were protesting to save the lives of the innocent civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Those of you who are old enough to remember and paid attention, our awesome news organizations used to have soldier death counters, to, you know, make it hit home.

Obama's proxy wars and aggressions in Libya, Tunisia, Yemen, Egypt, Syria and Ukraine, nevermind what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan, have created millions of displaced from civilians on 3 continents with hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths.

I've no idea why we haven't seen much of them( anti-war protesters ) in the last 8 years...hypocrisy I guess. Or fanatical ideologues.

Arab Spring ya'll!!

717aa52f8f1caa37df33e33efd767a18.jpg

Wouldn't that mean that they stopped at one point? They've always been anti-Military. They were the ones spitting on Vietnam Vets and called them baby killers [and most of those clowns were probably pro-abortion as well]

The idea that you are either for war/military or against war/military is fucking moronic. Sure, we all have different tolerances for what we will stomach in terms of war but of course foreign policy and the decision to go to war can be very complicated and requires more thought than being for or against war.

And the criticism in the OP is odd given the right has blasted him for not doing more on that front and calling him "weak".

I miss the anti-war protests. At least they were protesting things that mattered. Now you have complete silence when Obama bombs a Doctor's Without Borders hospital, and instead they are blocking highways so that creepy dudes can use the women's changing rooms.
When it comes to Bin Laden Obama did nothing, just sat by, etc.. When it comes to collateral damage it's "when Obama bombs..." you guys are fucking hysterical.

I felt let down by the left after Obama took office and his supporters ceased to exhibit much of any concern over the war on terror and the Patriot Act.

I never said it was all Obama's fault. I'm saying that the leftist hypocrites don't seem to recognize the messes he's fostered and instigated across 3 continents.
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of countries that are also responsible for the destabilization we see throughout the ME, Africa and Europe. But, again, where are all the leftist organizations that used to protest wars because of innocent civilian lives being lost due to American interference?
My OP is merely predicting how the left will become anti-war again, after Obama leaves office.

Time will tell, I'll bump this thread in a year or so...

Those organisations are still around, they're just greatly diminished because Obama hasn't directly started any wars himself. American foreign policy has been undermining hostile foreign government through espionage and other clandestine operations for decades through many Democrat and Republican governments. There are currently a small minority of people protesting against Obama's drone strikes and they'll continue to do so when they become Trump's drone strikes, but them changing ownership isn't suddenly going to boost the momentum of these organisations.

I don't think being anti-war is really a left or right thing. The war in Iraq was started by Bush and Blair. One represented the right in his country, and the other the left. On the American political spectrum Blair is practically a communist. The war made both of their parties so unpopular they lost the next election badly and both countries swung the opposite way. When their successors, Obama and Cameron started considering putting boots on the ground in Syria, there were women with brightly colored hair protesting outside the White House, and there were anonymous military men posting pictures with the slogan "I didn't join the Military to fight for Al Qaeda in a Syrian Civil War".

Obviously the American left already really dislike Trump, but they're not suddenly going to start joining anti-war movements because they don't like him. If anything you're overestimating the left, when they're already protesting with signs as succinct as these ones.

trump_pussy_hands.jpg

They have always been anti-military just in different ways. They'll be more blatant now.

When it comes to Bin Laden Obama did nothing, just sat by, etc.. When it comes to collateral damage it's "when Obama bombs..." you guys are fucking hysterical.

Almost as hysterical as you squirming to defend Obama's bombing of hospitals. Actually, that's not funny. It's despicable.

They are gonna call on Trump to close Gitmo and get all troops out of the Middle East.

Whats funny is that Trump will probably do it unlike Obama. Because Trump doesn't give a fuck. He is Trump. He does Trump things.

They are gonna call on Trump to close Gitmo and get all troops out of the Middle East.

Whats funny is that Trump will probably do it unlike Obama. Because Trump doesn't give a fuck. He is Trump. He does Trump things.
Didnt Trump say he wanted to fill Gitmo?

Didnt Trump say he wanted to fill Gitmo?
And that they were going to do more than waterboard people in there.

EDIT: In a bizzare way, I actually agree that Trump will be more likely to close Gitmo; not because he gives a shit but because the obstacles that kept in open will finally be out of the way. There are a lot of R's that would love to shut it down, but the political climate wouldn't let them support the president.

Almost as hysterical as you squirming to defend Obama's bombing of hospitals. Actually, that's not funny. It's despicable.
When was I squirming or defending O? We can talk about collateral damage if you like. Making shit up now I see.

IDIOTIC.

People care about tax payer money. STOP WASTING TAX PAYER MONEY on ineffective military expenditures. The US spends more than any other country, and it should, but the waste has to stop. TAXES ARE TOO HIGH and the billionaires don't pay any.

Stop hiding your wasted tax payer dollars (and back room payouts) behind the word "MILITARY". THE PEOPLE ARE SICK OF IT.

Back