The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

A local racing news reported that the average age of people participating in racing has increased and the number of cars and tracks is decreasing. Even the go-kart tracks are finding this. The same thing happened in drag racing 30 years ago. There is a lack of interest in motorsports of any type among people under 40 so there are fewer fans coming in to replace those dying off.

Are drivers getting concussions and the more we're find out about CTE effecting racing?

As Harry said, "Driver's don't like to be reminded of what can happen to them in a race car. They don't go to hospitals. They don't go to funerals. You get a driver to a funeral before he's dead and you've made history."

Are drivers getting concussions and the more we're find out about CTE effecting racing?

As Harry said, "Driver's don't like to be reminded of what can happen to them in a race car. They don't go to hospitals. They don't go to funerals. You get a driver to a funeral before he's dead and you've made history."

It used to be that drivers wouldn't retire until they couldn't get a car to drive. Many raced into their 50s. Ken Schrader is 63 and still driving. Sterling Marlin is 61 and still racing even though he has Parkinson's. Harry Gant retired at 54 then came back and raced until he was 70. Now they retire very early even when they're running well. Nico Rosberg was 31 when he retired after winning the Formula One championship. Racers seemed more dedicated to racing in the past. Many of the current generation of drivers don't seem as dedicated. Carl Edwards and Kasey Kahne retired at 38. Jeff Gordon at 44.

It used to be that drivers wouldn't retire until they couldn't get a car to drive. Many raced into their 50s. Ken Schrader is 63 and still driving. Sterling Marlin is 61 and still racing even though he has Parkinson's. Harry Gant retired at 54 then came back and raced until he was 70. Now they retire very early even when they're running well. Nico Rosberg was 31 when he retired after winning the Formula One championship. Racers seemed more dedicated to racing in the past. Many of the current generation of drivers don't seem as dedicated. Carl Edwards and Kasey Kahne retired at 38. Jeff Gordon at 44.
Get in. Get paid. Get out.

Anyone here watching Formula E? First race of the season starts in a few hours

I've tried watching it in the past.
without the roar of some type of combustion engine, it just doesn't translate for me.
what can I say

Agreed. Watched this morning's race and it's just not the same. Plus I think they only race street tracks which doesnt exactly make for exciting racing.

yea, exactly.
I applaud their efforts I guess
but motorsports is in trouble as it is IMO.
this isn't going to save it.

Are they still using 2 cars to run each race? I looked at the rules and they don't say that but that's what they've done before. Drivers switch cars because they couldn't run the full 45 minutes on a battery. I think there was a minimum time for the change because drivers weren't belting in. They are allowed 10 KW more this year so 180 kilowatts instead of 170.

I watched this video about rule changes but I can't understand some of what he says.

Even the race highlights don't mention switching cars.

Are they still using 2 cars to run each race? I looked at the rules and they don't say that but that's what they've done before. Drivers switch cars because they couldn't run the full 45 minutes on a battery. I think there was a minimum time for the change because drivers weren't belting in. They are allowed 10 KW more this year so 180 kilowatts instead of 170.

I watched this video about rule changes but I can't understand some of what he says.

Even the race highlights don't mention switching cars.

This is the first season without car swaps. The races are pretty short though. Winning time was under 47 minutes. Look up gen 2 cars. Also their website is terrible.

Last edited:
This is the first season without car swaps. The races are pretty short though. Winning time was under 47 minutes. Look up gen 2 cars. Also their website is terrible.

The duration of the race is defined as 45 minutes plus one lap, meaning when the leader completes a lap, 45 minutes after the start, they run one more lap. It's strictly on time, not laps and caution time is not deducted from the total time. Caution time means they don't use as much power and can run harder. They have to avoid running wide open to make certain they have power left at the end. Backing off the throttle instead of using the brakes allows regeneration to charge the battery. They also have to be more careful of tire wear. It isn't all out racing. The cars seem to be more fragile which was probably done to save weight.

Their website certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

The duration of the race is defined as 45 minutes plus one lap, meaning when the leader completes a lap, 45 minutes after the start, they run one more lap. It's strictly on time, not laps and caution time is not deducted from the total time. Caution time means they don't use as much power and can run harder. They have to avoid running wide open to make certain they have power left at the end. Backing off the throttle instead of using the brakes allows regeneration to charge the battery. They also have to be more careful of tire wear. It isn't all out racing. The cars seem to be more fragile which was probably done to save weight.

Their website certainly leaves a lot to be desired.
What do yo think is the point of the set race duration? Possibly because it helps the with KWh limits? Is it used in other forms of racing?

Last edited:
Back