The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

The usual F1 no passing parade.

Unfortunately even more so at Monaco. Wider cars + winding track with tight corners if they park the car in the middle of the road, odds on there's no enough room to pass. The only way to do it is to crush your way in, force yourself into a corner and hope the other driver plays ball (Vestappen style)

funny that even Hammy came forward today and said, "Monaco wasn't racing."
appreciate the honesty at least.

I love how absurdly calm the pit crew was in this situation.

I love how absurdly calm the pit crew was in this situation.

Pretty poorly prepared crew. Usually there is a guy to spray water on the fuel filler as the rig is pulled out. Reminds me of Herm Johnson's pit fire at Michigan.

funny that even Hammy came forward today and said, "Monaco wasn't racing."
appreciate the honesty at least.

It is what it is. Given the tracks, we're going to the odd one where there's not as much on track racing. Australia has the same sort of reputation where it's considered hard to overtake and it's a fairly wide track all things considered.

It's those tracks where tactics and teamwork (pit stops) become far more important. I would've loved it if one of Ferrari or Mercedes had thought "Stuff it, we'll burn through these tires and try another pit stop" in a effort to try something different rather than going slow to preserve like everyone else. But I guess it's too early in the season to be taking risks, better to have a guaranteed say 15 pts than risk getting 0 going for 25 at this time in the constructors.

The plus point of Monaco as a "procession track" is that at least it's a damn tough, technical one. Mistakes are easy to make compared to say Australia. I try it on the F1 games and struggle getting through it, even in a video game. I'm not a pro F1 driver though lol.

Raikkonen files extortion complaint in Canada - Motorsport.com

In a new twist to the #MeTo movement, representatives for Kimi Raikkonen met with representatives for a Canadian bartender who claimed she was groped last year. As soon as a monetary settlement was brought up, an extortion complaint was filed. It seems to be a preemptive strike prior to the Canadian Grand Prix next week.

Formula one is going to drop the MGU-H for next season which harvests electricity from engine heat. They are also talking about dropping the restriction on the fuel flow. Toto Wolff pointed out that it would result in increased rpm which equates to higher cost of the engines. I don't know if they will still limit the amount of fuel that can be used in a race.

Scott Dixon wins the Duel at Belle Isle in Detroit. As far as street courses go,
way better than Long Beach.

Isle of Man resident and Superbike rider Dan Kneen was killed during qualifying Wednesday.

Some idiot crashed the Corvette pace car on the formation lap before the Indy race in Detroit.

Bubba Wallace speeding in the pit then pulls the third to second shift mistake a few laps later, blowing the engine. I don't know why they don't use a vertical gate shifter.

Was watching DTM from the Hungaroring in Budapest. It started to rain and four cars in a row came into the pits for tires and slid right through their pit stalls, running into and injuring people there.
Crazy. The surface is smooth concrete and when wet, it's like ice I guess. No serious injuries.

Was watching DTM from the Hungaroring in Budapest. It started to rain and four cars in a row came into the pits for tires and slid right through their pit stalls, running into and injuring people there.
Crazy. The surface is smooth concrete and when wet, it's like ice I guess. No serious injuries.

They should never have a smooth finish on concrete. You can hardly walk on it when it's wet. I had to argue with the guy who poured my building floor to get a broom finish. They have gotten smarter on the roads here and have a rough finish on concrete roadways.

A few years ago they tried using ground up rubber from tires mixed in with the asphalt and that was extremely slippery when wet.

Back