The All-Purpose Motorsports Thread

Curious to see what happens after the France's have ran it into the ground.

You'd think a new company could come in and revive the sport but I have a feeling they'd only make it worse by using short sighted tactics to make money quickly.

The cost to field a car has gotten very high. Teams have trouble finding sponsors because the television broadcasters don't mention the cars sponsors unless they are paid to do it. Better off buying commercial time than sponsoring a race car. Television networks are putting the races on their sports channels instead of their free to air broadcast stations.

ESPN made NASCAR popular by broadcasting all of the races. Then NASCAR sold them out by selling the rights to networks who shit on the car sponsors. The younger generations don't have much interest in racing. If they want to race, they do it in video games.

Everybody in this thread should pool resources to buy NASCAR. We'd return it to prominence.

giphy.gif

NASCAR might be sold

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-france-family-exploring-sale-nascar-194740381.html

@Graverobber

Should Zuffa or WME make a bid? lol. Wonder if its worth more than the UFC
I know it's been a joke on sherdog for years to laugh at the "MMA is as a big in Brazil as soccer!" gimmick but I don't think NASCAR has anything even close to the international presence of the UFC. I don't think they're near as valuable as the UFC is

Everybody in this thread should pool resources to buy NASCAR. We'd return it to prominence.
- Shorter races
- Cars that look different from one another and unique to the manufacturer.
- DW and Michael got to go
- None of this stages crap. Drop the green flag and let's go
- The Playoffs are gone
- Race back to the line under caution is on

It appears that Raikkonen had an engine failure with about 30 minutes left in practice 2 in Spain. It appears that the soft tires might be faster than the supersoft as several teams are finding out.

Mercedes front row at Barcelona, Ferraris in second row and Red Bulls in the third row. Should be an interesting start to see if the team mates crash each other or if Verstappen crashes them all.

I keep forgetting to record over espns time slot for qualifying. I keep missing the last minute or 2, plus post commentary. nbcsn had a 1.5 hr time slot, ESPN keeps doing 1:05.

I keep forgetting to record over espns time slot for qualifying. I keep missing the last minute or 2, plus post commentary. nbcsn had a 1.5 hr time slot, ESPN keeps doing 1:05.

They didn't have much commentary. They had some guy that nobody could seem to understand interviewing Hamilton, Bottas and Vettel. All of a sudden another program was on.

Last edited:
I know it's been a joke on sherdog for years to laugh at the "MMA is as a big in Brazil as soccer!" gimmick but I don't think NASCAR has anything even close to the international presence of the UFC. I don't think they're near as valuable as the UFC is

- Shorter races
- Cars that look different from one another and unique to the manufacturer.
- DW and Michael got to go
- None of this stages crap. Drop the green flag and let's go
- The Playoffs are gone
- Race back to the line under caution is on

Why would you want shorter races? They have shortened many of them now. NASCAR was endurance racing for car and driver.

The stages have added to the racing, especially at Daytona and Talladega where many cars just hung back instead of racing. I would like to see the pits stay open to the end of each stage. Teams not in the top ten could pit as the stage ends and start ahead of the top ten cars on the restart. Teams would have to chose between taking the stage points or giving up the lead.

Some odd strategies going on in the Spanish Gran Prix today. Ferrari pitted Vettel out of second place early to go from the soft to the medium tires. Mercedes brought Bottas in a few laps later. The stop was 3.9 seconds but they still almost got out ahead of Vettel. There was a threat of rain so it seemed prudent to stay out as long as possible. Hamilton stayed out much longer before changing to mediums. Then a virtual safety car came out when Ocon's car died on track and Vettel came in. I thought they would go to soft tires but they put another set of mediums because they didn't have any softs. That put Vettel behind two more cars as he had to wait for another car coming into the pit.

The rain never came. Vettel finished 4th and Raikkonen had a DNF due to engine failure.

I miss the old days when they had a post race press conference for the top 3.
They continued doing the driver interviews on pit lane after the race instead of on the podium as they did for the last two years.

yea, forgot about that, the post race interview with the podium drivers.
was sometimes good stuff.

freaking Grosjean.
dude's gonna lose his ride at this rate.

yea, forgot about that, the post race interview with the podium drivers.
was sometimes good stuff.

freaking Grosjean.
dude's gonna lose his ride at this rate.

He had to slow to keep from hitting the car in front, then he was along for the ride. It might be the best thing if he got out of that piece of shit they call a car.

It was a very strange weekend. It appeared that the Ferraris had more pace on long runs in practice but they lost balance fairly early into a run in the race. I thought Mercedes screwed up and brought Bottas in a couple of laps too early. He was still running fast laps and the medium tires that Vettel changed to took longer to come in. Then the slow stop allowed Vettel to be ahead of him.

Hamilton was running fast laps and they never mentioned fuel saving. Bottas and Vettel were running slower and fuel was a concern. Hamilton must be smoother on the power.

It's often seen in NASCAR and Indy that a driver is told to save fuel so they get off the gas sooner and and back on it later and improve their lap times.

Harvick just drove the wheels off his car Saturday night to win in Kansas. Missed the big collision by inches too.

Harvick just drove the wheels off his car Saturday night to win in Kansas. Missed the big collision by inches too.

I was hoping anyone but Harvick would win and it looked like it was shaping up like that.

Until Harvick won.

or "Harvard" as my grandpa thought his name was.

I was hoping anyone but Harvick would win and it looked like it was shaping up like that.

Until Harvick won.

or "Harvard" as my grandpa thought his name was.

Harvick seems to be able to adapt his driving to the car and Rodney Childers seems to be able to make adjustments. Harvick always seems to be the best of the Stewart-Haas teams. All of those teams seem to be much better this season but the others seem to lose it at the end of races.

Kyle Larson seems to be the only competitive Chevy.

Seems like Gibbs took the good crew members from Truex's team. Toyota might not be giving Truex the best engines.

Watching interviews with the younger drivers, many of them say they aren't car guys. They don't work on cars, even their own cars. It's gotten to be more and more that way. It used to be that drivers grew up working on their own cars. Now, many have never turned a wrench.

Back