1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

The A level athlete vs the best mma fighter theory.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by frye666, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

Yeah, some mma fans just dont want to believe their beloved fighters can be beaten by more physically gifted men if they had similar training. Greg Hardy is an example of never training in any martial arts, to beating up other pro fighters. He simply has the power, speed and explosiveness which is a big advantage in fighting

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  2. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Oh nice here we go

3. Normot

Normot Purple Belt

The best MMA fighter is the best MMA fighter. Someone would have to prove that that's not the case and unless Greg Hardy beats a few good guys it hasn't happened yet.

4. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom "Pull up" Belt

@Bearknuckle
    At the gym my bro and I co own, to this day the hardest matchup we each have faced was 40 lbs lighter than me, 50-60 lbs lighter than everyone else. He was also far less experienced, he had done some basic combatives training in the army before starting grappling.

He would take us right off our feet and plant us hard, on his first night. He was notoriously hard to catch with arm locks, I mean I had a picture perfect Americana applied and he just didn't succumb to the leverage, and I remember thinking "how can he just casually resist leverage like this?"

Now, over time we found that he had huge holes that could be exploited. One night I landed a guillotine (a choke I'm still pretty shitty at getting) and then another, and then a 3rd before we wrapped for the evening. I was lucky to last long enough to learn he had brainfarts past a certain minute, bc his initial storm was a problem. Real fucking problem. The kind of problem that can empty your tank due to your nerves panicking.

Now I know firsthand that well honed skills aren't the be all end all that we thought they were.

covenant likes this.
  5. boss429

boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

See this is the whole problem. Others argue other sports athletes are superior while you do the opposite claiming MMA is the hardest to succeed in.

Fact of the matter is if most of these guys had the athleticism to reach the top of the major sports they would, simply because there is more money in it.

The thing that separates MMA from other major sports (including combat sports) is the fact it encompasses all aspects of combat which makes it, contrary to your post, easier because it's far more instinct based.

This is why all the legends you mentioned in your post, with the exception of Fedor, went from having one base to becoming MMA champions and all time greats in very little time at all.

The fact so many guy's have gone from no MMA experience to World Champions in the biggest org in under 10 fights/ 5 years competing directly contradicts your whole point.

At the end of the day though who gives a fuck, athleticism is only apart if the equation in any sport and you're spot on that not everyone is cut out to take or throw a punch, just like not everyone is cut out too stand in front of a puck flying at them at 100+ mph or get up after a linebacker runs them over in the open field.

They're all different and require different assets to be successful at, however, MMA is the only one someone can take up in there early 20s and still reach the pinnacle of outside of a few rare cases.

6. NoSmilez

NoSmilez Silver Belt

You can't be a good fighter without having some athletic skill. Fighting is also multifactorial in terms of what you need to be successful. Athleticism is very important but you need everything else to line up correctly as well

Erratic likes this.
  7. Massapiece

Massapiece Brown Belt

Boxers and mixed martial artists are the best athletes in my opinion. These guys are under the most intense pressure with real danger in their face yet the fast twitch muscle and reaction time is second to none in any other sport.

Erratic likes this.
  8. Bangkok ready d1

Bangkok ready d1 Orange Belt

A level athletes are a myth, nobody cares about american footbool or basketball, diferent sports need diferen skills i really don't understand why people still talk about this shit i just hope they trolling because if they really belive this stuff, they are dumber then mike perry and diego sanchez love child

9. RetiredSlave

RetiredSlave Black Belt

Its a sherdog exclusive if Im not mistaken. You been played son or maybe we have.

10. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

Athleticism exists. Athleticism is extremely important in fighting.

11. Sissy Boy

Sissy Boy White Belt

Yeah, that Wayne Gretsky guy, he was totally jacked. We all know that {insert random jacked Instragram influencer's name in here} would totally skate circles around him. Ya know, because athleticism is totally determined by how muscular you appear.

Ironnik94 and Erratic like this.
  12. ChildoftheCorn

ChildoftheCorn Brown Belt

Cruisin down Vine St., heading to Memorial Stadium
    Lol, take your snarky ass back to reddit. Where did I say you had to be jacked to be an A-level athlete?

13. The Renegade

The Renegade Silver Belt

This shit again? Started by someone with 5000+ posts? Wtf.

weaselkenievil and Reydereyes like this.
  14. AlanGregson

AlanGregson Orange Belt

i wonder how long it would take prime Cain to suplex dwight and open his head up with elbows, ask Brock Lesnar how he felt getting fucked from behind.

Regal Boy, Ironnik94 and Erratic like this.
  15. Sissy Boy

Sissy Boy White Belt

I don't know if you train or have trained, but if you do or have, I'm sure you have seen guys that look great hitting pads, the heavy bag, etc. but when it comes to hard sparring they get gun shy once punched in the face a few times.

Anecdotal evidence, A level athlete Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Ironnik94 and Erratic like this.
  16. Sissy Boy

Sissy Boy White Belt

Saying "You just dont see the dad bod in the NFL or pro soccer" implies that dudes have to be jack to be athletic.

I'll remain "snarky" and get just as childish as you with your corny "take your snarky ass back to reddit", you take your ass wherever, I've been here longer.

17. ChildoftheCorn

ChildoftheCorn Brown Belt

Cruisin down Vine St., heading to Memorial Stadium
    If I wanted to say you have to be jacked to be an A-level athlete, then i would have said that. Now take your implications and shove them up your ass.

18. Sissy Boy

Sissy Boy White Belt

Internet tough guy, you must be an A level athlete.

I'll have thoughtful discussions and debate, but, whatever, not wasting anymore time with you, troll.

19. Bearknuckle

Bearknuckle Brown Belt

What about all the times brock won? Smashed mir on just power and athleticism.

20. Bangkok ready d1

Bangkok ready d1 Orange Belt

Yes it does, but people belive that athleticism is only explosivines, people litteraly think that nfl players are the pinnacle of athleticism even tho these guys cannot go 1 round without dying out of breath, diferent sports require diferents types of athleticism