The A level athlete vs the best mma fighter theory.

frye666

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So it is the consensus that mma fighters are not A level athletes. This is just not true. The skills of an all time great like Fedor or GSP cannot be compared to Football or Basketball. Perhaps there are some that can do well if they cross over, but the sports are plain old different. To be a top MMA fighter, you need years of training in all sorts of skills. (yeah Tyson could knock out most of the heavyweight division in a minute and I do not disagree). But heavyweight is MUCH different than all the other weight classes. What A level athlete is gonna beat Jones at 205? Not one. Not unless they are a very well trained MMA artist. The skill set to be a top mma guy right now is very hard to achieve. You can look at someone like Robbie and say, any tough brawler can do it, but Robbie has superb skills. He just liked to brawl. You really have to know all aspects of mma to get to the top. And that is a fuck ton of knowlege. And most people could never do it.

And most important. Top athletes need to have the mindset. And here is where I say MMA guys are above the others. You have to be ready to be beat up, choked, have your arm bent backwards, your knee popping, and a whole lot of other things. To be a great MMA fighter, you need to have a whole combination of skills, abilities, and an incredible mindset.

I say, who cares if you can run 50 metres in 5 seconds. Or bench 300 lb's 10 times. As human beings, some things ring true right down to the core of us.

Fuck A level athletes. THIS is what I am talking about.
2S24Oh.gif

What is an A-level athlete and how are athletes allocated a level?

Totally agree. Americans won't like this post though. They like to believe that NFL / NBA roided freaks are the best at everything.

To be a great fighter you have to have some athletic ability... if you cant properly throw a punch or kick well... gl.

Idk man, some pretty basic athletes have made it to the top in MMA. Just look at Forrest Griffin. Hell, when Chael almost beat Anderson Silva, it made me wonder how my dad would do in the UFC. You just dont see the dad bod in the NFL or pro soccer.

I wouldn't say I'm the most athletic but I have a good body type for kickboxing, have natural power which I developed even further with proper mechanics and I've pretty much honed and perfected my coordination, form and speed through years of hard work and dedication I certainly was no natural (apart from power). So all in all I'm a great prospect but I don't think this is something I want to compete in professionally.

The point is I don't consider myself athletic and the only things I were born with were a lanky strong body good for mma,bjj or kickboxing and punching power and skills which I greatly improved with years of technique and training. I can kickbox the ears off of many superior athletes who would blow me away in a footrace, benchpress, armwrestler, standing backflips or what have you.

Last edited:
Idk man, some pretty basic athletes have made it to the top in MMA. Just look at Forrest Griffin. Hell, when Chael almost beat Anderson Silva, it made me wonder how my dad would do in the UFC. You just dont see the dad bod in the NFL or pro soccer.
Yeah but how many dad bods know how to turn a leg lock or block a choke? How many could get beat up and split open and still be able to fight?

I mean, it is a fight. Your dad might well beat a top guy. You could possibly beat a top guy. That is what the game is. But.....
U0MMNJI.gif

Athletic ability does not translate 1:1 with fighting.

Dedication, fast twitch muscle, killer instinct, so many variables that mean the connection between the two is not very strong.

Of course if you get a guy like tyson who has natural athleticism, fast twitch muscle, dedication, good coaching and killer instinct, heads will be flying.

A-level athletes ain't even the best in their own sport. The most athletic guy in his sport is usually not the best in that sport. Only MMA fans care about this shit, fucks sake. First it was the secret monks, now its the A level athletes. When will MMA fans accept that there's nothing out there. MMA fighters are the best fighters in the world.

First thing I will say is A level athletes have good timing and reaction. But like others have said, there are many variables why they wouldn't do good in MMA. My main argument would be it isn't a team sport and MMA requires a lot of focus especially if your fighting someone who's giving you tons of different looks. Tons of the best "A level athletes" like Lebron and Brady or Zidane get frustrated af when things don't go there way and they only have to focus on one thing. Look at all the basketball fights and arguments.

So I will say when it comes down to it MMA isn't as physical as it is mental compared to other sports, even boxing. A composed fighter with good fundementals will beat an athletic and explosive guy and we've seen it time and time again in MMA where the explosive guys and extremely athletic guys aren't the most focused or mentally strong and gas out.

This is why Jon Jones is considered the GOAT. He isn't as athletic as his brothers, and he isn't specifically good at one thing (Striking, wrestling, etc) but he keeps his composure and utilizes his athletic ability (speed, strength, reach) to maximum ability, which is why he is considered so special (And no he isn't like Adesanya, who is a better striker and has better technique but isn't as athletically gifted as Jones).

I remember when great athletes were skilled at what they did and were a little crazy af.

Athletes play sports. MMA Fighters well they fight in a cage. Griffin had heart, cardio a chin, a well rounded skillset etc. Before the Anderson gifs come in or the whole he was so nervous he took anxiety medication the night before. Griffin subbed Shogun and leg kicked Rampage enough to become the champ.

F6E5B9FE-58D1-4CD3-875E-82A7DE8A5EDD.jpeg
Here is a pic of one of the best ufc HWs ever, next to an A level athlete. Cain’s body couldnt even hold up. Thats not A level. Saquan Barkely had an ACL injury and rested 4 weeks and came back strong. Guys like cain take 2 years in between fights and their bodies can’t even hold up. What do you think a flying knee from dwight howard would feel like. He would be a real life Sagat.

Jon Jones is the worst athlete in his family. And he is arguably the GOAT.

If Lebron James was in the UFC he would be heavyweight champ. Sorry but average mma fighters are C+ level athletes at best. The best/champs are B level.

Mma fighters have heart though. But u guys are acting like some of the A level guys who come from rough backgrounds dont have heart are crazy. Imagine the intensity of a ray lewis, trained with skils. Hell, yoel romero is feared as a freak in the UFC, but he is at best a SMALL running back in the NFL, and would literally be the smallest guy on every single NBA team. Stephen Curry looks tiny on TV but he is 6’3 190 lol.

Totally agree. Americans won't like this post though. They like to believe that NFL / NBA roided freaks are the best at everything.
According to olympic medals. America has the best athletes.

I'll take the fighter over the physical freak 7/10 times.

But there's plenty of evidence that freaks can overwhelm a skilled fighter.

But here's the catch, the freak must "get" fighting when they do win big. If they're only genetically blessed and nothing else, they get exposed

I'll take the fighter over the physical freak 7/10 times.

But there's plenty of evidence that freaks can overwhelm a skilled fighter.

But here's the catch, the freak must "get" fighting when they do win big. If they're only genetically blessed and nothing else, they get exposed
No one is saying a freak can beat a trained fighter. Cain or stipe would beat up an untrained A level athlete. But 6-9 months of training and a few local cans and a dwight howard would ragdoll stipe. I bet a full on tackle from a guy like vontaz burfict would break cain in half.

No one is saying a freak can beat a trained fighter. Cain or stipe would beat up an untrained A level athlete. But 6-9 months of training and a few local cans and a dwight howard would ragdoll stipe. I bet a full on tackle from a guy like vontaz burfict would break cain in half.
That's my point too, it's all about the variables, so there's no logical "hard line" that applies 100% of the time

Back