The 9th Republican Presidential Debate 2016 by CBS News/Wall Street Journal [Feb 13] [9PM EST]

6:54pm - Kasich gets a key question, about his support of Medicare expansion and how it fits in with conservative ambitions.

“When we expand medicaid and we treat the mentally ill, then they don’t live under a bridge or in a prison where they cost $22,500 per year,” he says, “Guess what else: they get their lives back.”

Jeb says he admires Kasich’s moves; but then pivots to saying that he wants to repeal Obamacare.

Kasich says that Jeb knows that he’s no pro-Obamacare. But then he points to Reagan as the basis for getting “people on their feet.”

This is a fight between the two of them; but it’s hard to tell because they’re being much more polite.

Why do they always bother asking Presidential candidates how they would restructure tax collection, when they have little power in that regard & zero chance of overhauling that system?

"If I am President, I will abolish the IRS... and all parking meters... and uh... free chocolate."

None of the GOP candidates that run on abolish the IRS and flat tax ever make it to the GE. The one who does may have a significant chance in either immigration or tax reform

Rubio also just pinned it on Osama Bin Laden specifically, saying if Clinton killed him there would have been no 9/11. Stupid, or liar? You decide. :)
Well most people don't even know who KSM is.

wtf. Rubio wants to pay people for having kids? that's going to be a DISASTER. BAD!!!

Rubio (paraphrased):
"A business writes off investment in their equipment. Why can't parents write off investment in their children?"

I butchered his quote a bit, but I was busy picking my jaw off the floor.

6:58PM - Ben Carson, who is still on the stage, is asked a question!

In answer, he tells people to check his website for details on his tax plan, which is always a crowd-pleasing strategy.

Carson’s answer is then cut off by commercial.

“Dr Carson, I’m sorry, we have to go to commercial. The free market wants what it wants.”

A child tax credit is not the taxpayers originally money. It is in fact the government giving money even if you withheld $0 in taxes and owe $0 in taxes

wtf. Rubio wants to pay people for having kids? that's going to be a DISASTER. BAD!!!

Rubio (paraphrased):
"A business writes off investment in their equipment. Why can't parents write off investment in their children?"

I butchered his quote a bit, but I was busy picking my jaw off the floor.

But...

On taxes, let’s actually be clear: Ted Cruz has proposed a value-added tax, or VAT. He can call it a “business flat tax” but it is a VAT. Whatever its pluses and minus, it allows him to propose a very low income tax with the rest of revenue-generating bits hidden on the business side. That’s rather clever, really.

Rubio’s tax plan is in sync with past successful Republican tax plans in that it would improve incentives to invest while also directing immediate tax relief to taxpayers; that was both the Reagan and W. Bush plans. But it is really more of a general election plan in that it can be sold as something more than “cut taxes for the rich and all be well”.

Of course, all the Republican tax plans are big revenue losers for the federal, which Democrats will certainly attack in a general election.

Rubio also just pinned it on Osama Bin Laden specifically, saying if Clinton killed him there would have been no 9/11. Stupid, or liar? You decide. :)

I heard he also blamed Gonzaga for being the guy to kick CroCop in the head.

Dr. Carson is by far the most intelligent & genuine on that stage, but he doesn't rabble-rouse, war-monger, or pull out his big black dingus & whip it around enough to get the mob fires of support going.

A child tax credit is not the taxpayers originally money. It is in fact the government giving money even if you withheld $0 in taxes and owe $0 in taxes

KEY POINT HERE. Thank you lead salad. Business investments are tax DEDUCTIONS, not a TAX CREDIT. (tax credit is better).

Jeb’s campaign is calling his spat with Trump over 9/11 a victory, it seems - though it may be premature.

But...

I'm not necessarily against it. I'm just saying he is spinning it. His plan is focused on growth and I think their view is incentives for having children for a larger population is one way to have a developed country build GDP growth in the long term.

That was one of the weirdest cheers I just heard in my life

It's interesting that Trump is the clear cut winner in the polls yet he is booed at every debate. Obviously the crowd is handpicked.

KEY POINT HERE. Thank you lead salad. Business investments are tax DEDUCTIONS, not a TAX CREDIT. (tax credit is better).

There are deductions on a individual return too like standard and itemized stuff but all credits are essentially the government giving you money, especially if you owed nothing or less than the credit amount.

Back