The 5th Element - what do you guys think of this movie?

Not my cup of tea.

The phasing made the story hard to follow the Christucker sex scene with the attendant is not needed.

Beson said he wrote the whoke story when he was 16 so I kinda get all the nudity and sex placement as it is certainly a film made by a horny teenager.

The movie did look great visually especially for 1997, they didnt rely too heavily on cgi and that helps it hold up so well visually, i really wanted to like it. I love Bruce Willis and anything with Ancient Alien/Shadowrun themes but the whole movie tried to be too goofy for my tastes just came off as some squirrely french horseshit. Chris Tucker in that movie is the dumbest shit ive ever seen, he makes Jar Jar Binks look like fucking Brando in Apocalypse Now.

Ha you took the words out of my mouth about the Jar Jar reference.

I think its garbage like that garbage at the airport. It just embodies everything wrong in the late 90s.

I remember watching it in 1997 and I am okay with it I would even say its entertaining fun movie but nothing to remember and I have rewatch it yesterday when this thread came up and just felt underwhelmed and annoyed.

And yeah, Leeloo Multipass was hot so let's get that out of the way right now. She's always been hot but she was super hot in this one.

Easily one of my favorite movies of all time. I just love everything about it. The overtop weirdness might be favorite though I just loved the world they created in that movie.

I’d leave my wife and kids right now for that Leeloo.

I’d always thought it would be funny to have a 10 years later with Leeloo and Bruce. Make her a bitch now though with like three kids. Bruce Is over the cute foreign accent and just gets annoyed by it now.

I also remember the color saturation in that film was off the charts
I used to think the city was CGI but it's a bigature.

DVD_VIDEO_16.jpg

700_B03_E2_7_A7_C_4981_BD6_C_B8_AD4261214_E.jpg

I was 19 when this movie came out and 19 year old me wanted to give it to Milla really badly.

40 year old me would still give it to current Milla as well.

I used to think the city was CGI but it's a bigature.

DVD_VIDEO_16.jpg

700_B03_E2_7_A7_C_4981_BD6_C_B8_AD4261214_E.jpg
Ya gotta love practical effects.
I was watching Jurassic Park recently and was astounded at how good the CG still looks. Especially since the CG nowadays looks worse. That film used both, incredibly well balanced.

The Fifth Element is a similar example of a good mix of CG and practical sets and in-camera effects.

Saw it in the theater the day it premiered.

Loved it then, love it now.

One of Chris Rock’s best performances.

Ya gotta love practical effects.
I was watching Jurassic Park recently and was astounded at how good the CG still looks. Especially since the CG nowadays looks worse. That film used both, incredibly well balanced.

The Fifth Element is a similar example of a good mix of CG and practical sets and in-camera effects.
Movies with more practical effects always seem to stand up better over time.

Movies with more practical effects always seem to stand up better over time.
And thus, we enter the film equivalent of a geological depression, the Uncanny Valley.
The closer the (CG) effort comes to looking real, the more the eye compares the image to what the brain says a thing ought to look like and it fails to convince.

The human eye is good at detecting when something doesn't fit the reality pattern.

I fucking love it. Top 5 Sci-Fi movie.
You're insane if you didn't like Tucker's performance: Rose is a great character.

The SFX/practical fx and art direction are brilliant.

I always appreciate a unique movie. It's completely bizarre.

Back