The 50 Greatest PW's of All Time - Larry Matysik

I agree that HHH has been underrated by MOST wrestling fans due to them being unhappy with his politics over the past 16 years, particularly after his marriage to Stephanie. Him dominating RAWs, long 20 min soliloquies, holding people down, not putting over people when the time was right (Fucking Booker T), Summer of Punk (bringing in Nash, wtf), BUT with even with all of that BS, it's really not all that bad. Wrestlers have been doing this for years, ever since it became a work. Caddock, Wladek Zbysko, Londos, Strangler Lewis, Thesz, Race, Hogan, Michaels and Austin were no different than HHH if you dig into wrestling history. All these legends and men who were at the top of their respective promotions and era all did the same thing in terms of politics and not putting people over even when they were told to.

It should be clear to see that I hold little bias; I look at things for what they are yet I do not let it blind me. I see all of HHH's politics and BS but I also know it's not unique to HHH. I give the man his due; he is great, I have him on my top 50, I have him over Rey Mystero BUT I can truly understand and would not have a big deal with someone having Mysterio over HHH due to how important Mystero has been to wrestling, particularly American wrestling history and how we view Luchadors.

11 years ago, I wrote my first column about HHH, many of which were under various names and this is how I ended it and it had to do with HHH.

"So I will end my first column about Triple H like this. Instead of taking time to bash a wrestler the calibre of Triple H, let's take time to enjoy this guy's work in the ring and go back to being what we were (or I at least was) and that is being a wrestling fan and just sit back and watch the guy work his magic. No-one can deny that fact that he can make us cheer and hate his guts. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and become so judgemental and forget to applaud this man for what he's done for the WWE in the past 9 years. For all those stars who've left for bigger things or have quit because they don't like their storylines, this man has stayed his tenure and made himself a household name among wrestling fans everywhere. Let's appreciate him and just watch him work his magic and then discuss his legacy once he's left it behind him. I hope everyone has enjoyed this. Give me your thoughts both positive and negative." - Saku 2005

I've heard of him my whole wrestling life due to various ties I know. I know he's been in bad shape, in particular, the last few years and you seemed very passionate so I didn't know if you knew him personally or professionally.

Yeah, another good post.

Spot on about peoples aversion to Trips due to their distaste toward him based on his politiking.

There's also that saying that he's always the guy that works with the guy who draws.

But he was every bit as good as a heel as SCSA and Rock were faces imo.

Powerslam magazine; a UK mag I respected rated him PW of the year in 2000. He was amazing that year; imo took being a heel to a whole new dimension in terms of bringing sophistication (as well as badassery) to the role. The cerebral assassin yo!

Though of course, Flair laid the groundwork on that.

It depends on what your criteria is. What are the criteria? Why is Jericho NOT ON THE LIST? Multiple time world champion, full time wrestler active wrestler and a 2nd tier star for 14 years and has been on-off for the past 10 years. How Ted DiBiase is ranked above or right below a guy like Jericho on both lists is beyond me. Anyhow, I take the WWE's list with a grain of salt anyhow.

Glad to see Ray Stevens on here since I consider him the precursor to the Hennigs and a lesser degree, Ziggler. How John Cena is not top 15 all time on either list is crazy considering he's been the #1 guy in the #1 promotion in the world for 10 years now. I'll have to come up with my own list sometime.

Because Jericho is ass, that's why.

Yeah, another good post.

Spot on about peoples aversion to Trips due to their distaste toward him based on his politiking.

There's also that saying that he's always the guy that works with the guy who draws.

But he was every bit as good as a heel as SCSA and Rock were faces imo.

Powerslam magazine; a UK mag I respected rated him PW of the year in 2000. He was amazing that year; imo took being a heel to a whole new dimension in terms of bringing sophistication (as well as badassery) to the role. The cerebral assassin yo!

Though of course, Flair laid the groundwork on that.
Trips was believable as both heel and face, but he was never as good of a heel as Rock/SCSA were as faces.

Matysik: fail for having HBK at 15
WWE: huge fail for having Flair at 17

Those two are my #1 and #1a. If someone doesn't have one of them in their top ten, immo look at they list sideways.

Austin saved WWE. In the Monday night wars, Vince's only chance in the ratings was to thrown him out every 15 mins. Austin is #1.

How could a person with a brain keep Hogan out of their top 10?

I do not mind Vince/WWE ranking Michaels #1 but then ranking Hogan and Flair too low disenfranchises that era. In all actuality I expect all three of those wrestlers to be in everyone's top 10.

Matysik: fail for having HBK at 15
WWE: huge fail for having Flair at 17

Those two are my #1 and #1a. If someone doesn't have one of them in their top ten, immo look at they list sideways.

I agree HBK should be higher, but the author puts thorough effort into justifying his placings, if you care to read it; and try to match your knowledge of entire history of PW against his.

How could a person with a brain keep Hogan out of their top 10?

I do not mind Vince/WWE ranking Michaels #1 but then ranking Hogan and Flair too low disenfranchises that era. In all actuality I expect all three of those wrestlers to be in everyone's top 10.

Everyone, including the author of the book in OP, agrees WWE's list is ass. It's more about Matysik's list, which has both Hogan and Flair right up there.

Never going to be an objective way to rank

Noone's saying it is; but match your knowledge, and anyone else you care to use, of entire history of PW with the author than decide who's opinion is most worthy of exalting.

Do you wear lifts too? Is that why you are such a Jericho mark?

ThunderL1ps can't take a joke; uptight much?

If you want a proper answer; in Matysik's list he has Randy Orton at 50 - no fucking way - Jericho is better than RKO in every facet, so I think Jericho should be 50.

Being a mark enters not the consideration here.

Everyone, including the author of the book in OP, agrees WWE's list is ass. It's more about Matysik's list, which has both Hogan and Flair right up there.

Matysik's list > WWE's list

Matysik's list > WWE's list

Of course; the point Matysik's book makes is that WWE's list is almost purely a marketing tool.

So it actually should be disregarded from the discussion; Matysik just uses it as a jumping off point.

ThunderL1ps can't take a joke; uptight much?

If you want a proper answer; in Matysik's list he has Randy Orton at 50 - no fucking way - Jericho is better than RKO in every facet, so I think Jericho should be 50.

Being a mark enters not the consideration here.

So that's a "yes" to the lifts. Got it. Maybe if you joke was clever I'd have laughed. All it showed was your defensiveness.

Neither of those guys are at the top of anything other than a shit list.

Here's some supporting evidece @ 11:30

So that's a "yes" to the lifts. Got it. Maybe if you joke was clever I'd have laughed. All it showed was your defensiveness.

Neither of those guys are at the top of anything other than a shit list.

Here's some supporting evidece @ 11:30

ThunderL1ps on the offensive.

You seem awfully abrasive, once again, can't take a playful joke. Relax dude, no need to get so sensitive at everything.

I might watch the clip later; Jake Roberts is always good to listen to.

As for the Jericho discussion, we'll agree to disagree, it's not a great loss from the list.

ThunderL1ps on the offensive.

You seem awfully abrasive, once again, can't take a playful joke. Relax dude, no need to get so sensitive at everything.

I might watch the clip later; Jake Roberts is always good to listen to.

As for the Jericho discussion, we'll agree to disagree, it's not a great loss from the list.

Enjoy when you watch, Snowflake.

Back