The 5 best bruce lee moves to use in mma

when and where did tyson say this? can you provide a reference or video? talking realisticly about bruce lee and JKD is not down talking either of them. Theres usefull stuff in JKD that works for sure, theres usefull stuff in every martial art some are just alot more practical and efficient than others. Somehow in the magic of hollywood bruce turned into some mystical invincible fighter by his cult followers, blown away by choreographed movie fight scenes. The common comeback to this is that bruce has fought and competed and indeed he has. The guy fought, competed, was insanely fast, strong for his size, a movie star, and philosopher. The greatest contribution he made to the martial arts world was not through his fighting but through his philosophy and movies.

I personally feel that tyson today at 55 would smash bruce lee in his prime in a MMA or boxing fight. He would just manhandle him.

Those were my thoughts when he said that, plus it really takes a lot of to knock out Tyson. He was beating up pros in the gym before he turned pro.

I have never seen anyone use the lead backfist as a jab, and or followed up by another strike in UFC before.

I have never seen anyone use the lead backfist as a jab, and or followed up by another strike in UFC before.

I've seen one guy do it in a boxing gym in NYC, just to kind of do some friendly banters with the girl he was training. (I think they had one of those relationships where the guy just flirts with the girl hes training all the time but never dates her or let's it go any further.)

As a JKD fighter. those techniques work 100%, but the practitioner who admitted he doesn't do JKD, is doing pretty well but he IS lacking some technique. His footwork is slightly incorrect for all the techniques, and when he throws a lead leg, he retracts his leg but shifts over to an orthodox stance, which is not how we do it. Overall, his execution of the technique is pretty good, he has a good feel for timing and rhythm, but he does not throw his hip behind the hook kick and back fist. As you can see, bridging the gap with the lead arm and lead leg attack is very fast and applies pressure quickly.

I don't saying "What if Bruce Lee vs Tyson" or whatever, but Tyson even admitted he couldn't beat Bruce Lee in his prime. And by the way he said it, he was serious about it. It's something to take into consideration from a guy like Tyson.

Tyson very rarely says he could beat people. He asked how he thought a fight between him and Klitschko would go and he said 'I don't know, I'd like to say I'd win but athletes get better as time goes on, they don't get worse'.

A phrase from Cus D'Amato that is attributed to Mike Tyson, which is well quoted in this tropic and the following:

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.

when and where did tyson say this? can you provide a reference or video? talking realisticly about bruce lee and JKD is not down talking either of them. Theres usefull stuff in JKD that works for sure, theres usefull stuff in every martial art some are just alot more practical and efficient than others. Somehow in the magic of hollywood bruce turned into some mystical invincible fighter by his cult followers, blown away by choreographed movie fight scenes. The common comeback to this is that bruce has fought and competed and indeed he has. The guy fought, competed, was insanely fast, strong for his size, a movie star, and philosopher. The greatest contribution he made to the martial arts world was not through his fighting but through his philosophy and movies.

I personally feel that tyson today at 55 would smash bruce lee in his prime in a MMA or boxing fight. He would just manhandle him.

Could you have beaten Bruce Lee in your prime?

Tyson: Hey listen, I don’t know about that stuff. Because Bruce Lee, he didn’t believe in fighting in tournaments and stuff. He basically believed in: “Let’s do it right now.” But Bruce Lee was really a street fighter, like an MMA fighter for real. No one talked about MMA before that, or grappling. He said, "I don’t believe in grappling, because I equate grappling with being on the floor and I equate being on the floor with being stomped." And they said, "What do you mean?" And he said, "One guy maybe, but I’m fighting five or six guys but I can't be on the floor, wrestling around."

Wow, I hadn't heard about him saying all that.

Tyson: Is that deep or what? He’s thinking, "I’m fighting an army, man." That just totally opened my head! We talking about killing, not no championship. We not fighting to see who’s better, we fighting to see who survives.

I'd take his word for what he says, he certainly does not sound like he is joking about it or stroking anyone's ego here. Tyson on numerous occasions has stated he loves Bruce Lee and loves fighting "as it is" and beyond just competing. He sounds pretty serious too, I wouldn't assume it was some PR stunt.

A phrase from Cus D'Amato that is attributed to Mike Tyson, which is well quoted in this tropic and the following:

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.

Lol I see what you did their, making a till joke lol.

Could you have beaten Bruce Lee in your prime?

Tyson: Hey listen, I don’t know about that stuff. Because Bruce Lee, he didn’t believe in fighting in tournaments and stuff. He basically believed in: “Let’s do it right now.” But Bruce Lee was really a street fighter, like an MMA fighter for real. No one talked about MMA before that, or grappling. He said, "I don’t believe in grappling, because I equate grappling with being on the floor and I equate being on the floor with being stomped." And they said, "What do you mean?" And he said, "One guy maybe, but I’m fighting five or six guys but I can't be on the floor, wrestling around."

Wow, I hadn't heard about him saying all that.

Tyson: Is that deep or what? He’s thinking, "I’m fighting an army, man." That just totally opened my head! We talking about killing, not no championship. We not fighting to see who’s better, we fighting to see who survives.

I'd take his word for what he says, he certainly does not sound like he is joking about it or stroking anyone's ego here. Tyson on numerous occasions has stated he loves Bruce Lee and loves fighting "as it is" and beyond just competing. He sounds pretty serious too, I wouldn't assume it was some PR stunt.

No where in your Tyson quote is this said:

I don't saying "What if Bruce Lee vs Tyson" or whatever, but Tyson even admitted he couldn't beat Bruce Lee in his prime. And by the way he said it, he was serious about it. It's something to take into consideration from a guy like Tyson.

no where in there does Tyson mention anything about him vs bruce lee or what the possible outcome was. All he did was mention bruce lees philosophy, which again is what hes famous for, not his fighting skills but his philosophy which was revolutionary at the time to basically do a MMA concept and use everything rather than staying to the confines of one martial art which was "traditional" at the time. Tyson doesnt like to talk shit, all he did was comment that he doesnt know about that stuff, he knows boxing, and bruce lee was not about boxing. Also again mentioning how bruce lee opened his mind (going back to philosphy again) and that he was a bruce lee fan which many people are for his geneartion. I am a bruce lee fan as well and have read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, its good stuff but Im not a Bruce Lee cult follower and think he can do all kinds of nonsense many people believe about him when they speak about him being able to compete with top level fighters. A guy like Dekkers would absolutely smash bruce lee in a Muay Thai or MMA fight. If you think Bruce Lee would stand much of a chance against Saenchai, your a cult follower brainwashed by his movies. You also failed to provide a link. Tyson saying "hey I dont know about that stuff" does not translate into: "Tyson even admitted he couldn't beat Bruce Lee in his prime. "

Last edited:
it's fun, but kinda silly to wonder "could so and so beat a prime bruce lee?". now that the cat's out of the bag (the whole MMA, combine the best of each art thing), fighters with all the knowledge of modern times would probably beat bruce at his own game. like frankenstein's monster destroying his creator. but it's always good to go back in the past and look for new knowledge. for example that oblique/side kick seems to be a recent addition to MMA fighters toolbox. and at least in America, i think the first concept of MMA was that Kajukenbo system created in Hawaii in the 1940s.

No where in your Tyson quote is this said:

no where in there does Tyson mention anything about him vs bruce lee or what the possible outcome was. All he did was mention bruce lees philosophy, which again is what hes famous for, not his fighting skills but his philosophy which was revolutionary at the time to basically do a MMA concept and use everything rather than staying to the confines of one martial art which was "traditional" at the time. Tyson doesnt like to talk shit, all he did was comment that he doesnt know about that stuff, he knows boxing, and bruce lee was not about boxing. Also again mentioning how bruce lee opened his mind (going back to philosphy again) and that he was a bruce lee fan which many people are for his geneartion. I am a bruce lee fan as well and have read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, its good stuff but Im not a Bruce Lee cult follower and think he can do all kinds of nonsense many people believe about him when they speak about him being able to compete with top level fighters. A guy like Dekkers would absolutely smash bruce lee in a Muay Thai or MMA fight. If you think Bruce Lee would stand much of a chance against Saenchai, your a cult follower brainwashed by his movies. You also failed to provide a link. Tyson saying "hey I dont know about that stuff" does not translate into: "Tyson even admitted he couldn't beat Bruce Lee in his prime. "

Hm, you sound really angry and tensed up for some reason. I'm not here to argue nor am I here to say BL is God. It's obvious that if Tyson had even 70% conviction he would "tear the 120 lb actor" in half, he would wholeheartedly say so and he would say it the way you said it, but he didn't. What he means by "I don't know about that stuff" is obviously he is saying "I, Mike Tyson, am not sure if I can confidently beat even Bruce Lee even in my prime." Do you think there's any possibility that he could be speaking like that? If

Otherwise, it makes no sense. If Tyson really said "I love BL's philosophy, but I dont think he's a fighter" then he would SAY that right then and there, but no he didn't say that. He actually said BL was like an "MMA fighter, but for real." What does he mean by that? Basically, a fighter who does full range, full contact fighting and training, no rules and regulations, similar to MMA but NHB. If Tyson was saying BL wasn't a fighter and just an actor then he would say so. It wasn't just a "philosophy this and that."

Also, Bruce Lee does box. Why would you say he doesn't box when it's in the fighting system? I think that's kind of offensive and very demeaning to go around talking very condescendingly like that like anybody who does JKD and tries to protect Bruce Lee is a loser deluded, movie fantasy retard. I don't go around saying Muay Thai is shitty, slow, has no variations in kicks, poor hand techniques, overrated, watered down American versions, no broken rhythm, vulnerable to BJJ fighters, or anything like that. How would you feel if I said that--- you wouldn't like it, it's not true, and it sure as hell isn't respectful and honorable anything. I wouldn't say that because as a martial artist I don't believe in going around talking shit about other fighters and styles.

Last edited:
Hm, you sound really angry and tensed up for some reason. I'm not here to argue nor am I here to say BL is God. It's obvious that if Tyson had even 70% conviction he would "tear the 120 lb actor" in half, he would wholeheartedly say so and he would say it the way you said it, but he didn't. What he means by "I don't know about that stuff" is obviously he is saying "I, Mike Tyson, am not sure if I can confidently beat even Bruce Lee even in my prime." Do you think there's any possibility that he could be speaking like that? If

Otherwise, it makes no sense. If Tyson really said "I love BL's philosophy, but I dont think he's a fighter" then he would SAY that right then and there, but no he didn't say that. He actually said BL was like an "MMA fighter, but for real." What does he mean by that? Basically, a fighter who does full range, full contact fighting and training, no rules and regulations, similar to MMA but NHB. If Tyson was saying BL wasn't a fighter and just an actor then he would say so. It wasn't just a "philosophy this and that."

Also, Bruce Lee does box. Why would you say he doesn't box when it's in the fighting system? I think that's kind of offensive and very demeaning to go around talking very condescendingly like that like anybody who does JKD and tries to protect Bruce Lee is a loser deluded, movie fantasy retard. I don't go around saying Muay Thai is shitty, slow, has no variations in kicks, poor hand techniques, overrated, watered down American versions, no broken rhythm, vulnerable to BJJ fighters, or anything like that. How would you feel if I said that--- you wouldn't like it, it's not true, and it sure as hell isn't respectful and honorable anything. I wouldn't say that because as a martial artist I don't believe in going around talking shit about other fighters and styles.

What he means by "I don't know about that stuff" is obviously he is saying "I, Mike Tyson, am not sure if I can confidently beat even Bruce Lee even in my prime."

What he means by I dont know about that stuff, is exaclty what he said. He does not know about that stuff.

If he was saying as you have interpreted it "I mike tyson am not sure if I can confidently beat even bruce lee in my prime" he would SAY that right then and there. ;)

" What does he mean by that? Basically, a fighter who does full range, full contact fighting and training, no rules and regulations, similar to MMA but NHB.

if thats what tyson was saying he would have said that, right then and there. ;)

Your putting words in his mouth and twisting and translating his statements into what you want them to be.

I never argued that bruce lee wasnt a fighter, if you re-read my first post you will find that I said he is a martial artist, he did compete in martial arts, and he has also been in fights

I havent down talked BL or JKD in anyway.

I did down talk his cult followers who think he can do all kinds of outlandish stuff.

talking very condescendingly like that like anybody who does JKD and tries to protect Bruce Lee is a loser deluded, movie fantasy retard.

I never said that, if I did you could add me to that list since I have read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and watched as much footage as possible of bruce lee. Theres a difference between training JKD and liking BL vs being a delusional cult follower. I like Muay Thai, the greatest MT fighter in the world Saenchai, cannot beat up Shaquille O'Neal. The size difference is too great, I am not delusional enough in my MT cult following to think something ridiculous like that. There are however a ton of Bruce Lee fans that think this way.

Outside of his philosophy, concepts, speed, and strength for his size, how is Bruce Lee any different from Chuck Norris? They were both martial artists, both have competed, and both have fought. They even did movies together. Yet if I said something like chuck norris can beat up mike tyson, most people would think thats a ridiculous statement, but not so when it comes to the almighty bruce lee.

JKD and Bruce Lee lovers get upset when you talk realistically about JKD. Theres good stuff in every martial art JKD included, but it is not the most effective. MMA has shown what works and what does not, we do not see JKD in MMA much. Not that it cant be used in MMA or that there isnt anything good/effective to take from it. Now before you rant about how JKD isnt for MMA and its for "the streets bro" re-read your comments about bruce lee and MMA. and yeah sure it is designed for self defense, and there are good things to take from it for self defense, but how much of JKD would be illegal in MMA? not much, minus a few moves here and there. So there is alot of stuff in JKD that "could" be applied in MMA, yet it is not because it has been proven ineffective.

When i made my previous post I had a feeling you would confuse the boxing and of course you did. My statement of "Bruce Lee wasnt about boxing", was referring to the fact Tyson was a competitive/professional boxer, Bruce Lee was not.

yeah bruce lee uses boxing, and as we can see here by his chin up and hands down, his boxing skills were not the best.

and we can see how effective JKD is here, right down to Bruce Lees yellow outfit.

apply the bruce lee concept, take what is useful reject what is useless. most of MT is useful, most of JKD is useless. Dont take my word for it. go compete in a combat sport and see for yourself, you will learn quickly what you can retain from JKD and what you should disregard. If something is not tested, its effectiveness cannot be proven. Your buddy in the yellow pants tested his JKD, didnt go to well for him, some of it was effective, most of it was not.

Last edited:
Tyson very rarely says he could beat people. He asked how he thought a fight between him and Klitschko would go and he said 'I don't know, I'd like to say I'd win but athletes get better as time goes on, they don't get worse'.

he is very respectful until someone disrespects him

Yeah, it is actually very sad about those two videos you posted about @shincheckin . In the video with BL hitting the heavy bag, he had barely recovered from his severe back injury so he had to take it light. This was 1969-1970 when he was told he can't do any fighting anymore, and was suffering from a lot of back pain. The second video, that guy never took jkd before, he's had no instructor, and seems like the "self-taught" type of people, just like those two self-taught people you posted on your fb who were trying to self-teach themselves muay thai and it was a damn shame, this is exactly a case of that. Otherwise, he has nothing to do with JKD. The next sad thing to talk about is that there is a lot of JKD in MMA but it's sprinkled everywhere in small doses so you can barely see it..... and the saddest part is there is not one damn good pure JKD fighter that ever decided to step out of the BL worship idolization circles and actually prove his art works. Only rare one was Joe Lewis. The rest were bums.

I'm glad you mentioned the whole "street bro science" comment actually. One common misconception that most JKD guys say is "JKD too deadly! Only for street, no eye jabs and groin strikes, too deadly for ring" and it is almost as if they are implying that us JKD guys only know how to play and fight like that, when it's not true. I'm sorry but those guys are fools. Only fools say that (not you, them.) JKD has techniques and strategies that work in the street and it is transparently applicable for the ring as well, without the NEED of eye gouges and groin shots. What am I trying to say? All I'm saying is most idiot JKD guys or guys that don't even take JKD at all go around saying all we do is "street self defense too deadly for ring" when that is far from true. Yes, JKD as its pure self defense, kill or be killed side, but it also has a technical, super effective and well constructed side of fighting that works well and can work well competitively in the ring. You just don't see it.... because most JKD guys actually suck and are living in BL fantasy land.

Well, I really don't like debating about this stuff, I like your stuff and you have a great record as a fighter. What gym are you currently training at by the way? One of these days I must come down to SoCal and train with you guys.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is actually very sad about those two videos you posted about @shincheckin . In the video with BL hitting the heavy bag, he had barely recovered from his severe back injury so he had to take it light. This was 1969-1970 when he was told he can't do any fighting anymore, and was suffering from a lot of back pain. The second video, that guy never took jkd before, he's had no instructor, and seems like the "self-taught" type of people, just like those two self-taught people you posted on your fb who were trying to self-teach themselves muay thai and it was a damn shame, this is exactly a case of that. Otherwise, he has nothing to do with JKD. The next sad thing to talk about is that there is a lot of JKD in MMA but it's sprinkled everywhere in small doses so you can barely see it..... and the saddest part is there is not one damn good pure JKD fighter that ever decided to step out of the BL worship idolization circles and actually prove his art works. Only rare one was Joe Lewis. The rest were bums.

I'm glad you mentioned the whole "street bro science" comment actually. One common misconception that most JKD guys say is "JKD too deadly! Only for street, no eye jabs and groin strikes, too deadly for ring" and it is almost as if they are implying that us JKD guys only know how to play and fight like that, when it's not true. I'm sorry but those guys are fools. Only fools say that (not you, them.) JKD has techniques and strategies that work in the street and it is transparently applicable for the ring as well, without the NEED of eye gouges and groin shots. What am I trying to say? All I'm saying is most idiot JKD guys or guys that don't even take JKD at all go around saying all we do is "street self defense too deadly for ring" when that is far from true. Yes, JKD as its pure self defense, kill or be killed side, but it also has a technical, super effective and well constructed side of fighting that works well and can work well competitively in the ring. You just don't see it.... because most JKD guys actually suck and are living in BL fantasy land.

Well, I really don't like debating about this stuff, I like your stuff and you have a great record as a fighter. What gym are you currently training at by the way? One of these days I must come down to SoCal and train with you guys.

I coach for 10th planet BJJ in Redlands currently

For all the BL debate, I think we both pretty much agree as I would agree with everything you have just said so I think were on the same page. Theres effective stuff in all martial arts if you know where to look. Many ppl down talk TKD and Karate, I however find them usefull, same goes for JKD. The problem is that JKD and Bruce Lee in general tend to attract the "fantasy martial arts" type crowd, the same people that LARP play WOW and like Lord of the Rings type stuff.

Theres a really good saying by Jesse Enkamp about how all martial arts are very similar at the top of the mountain. For comparison, how much different is a JKD lead hand down jab vs a boxing flick jab thrown from that same type of position with the lead hand down stance. They are basically the same thing with 2 different names and applications in sports. its like asking if you want to eat a orange or a naranja? They are the same thing. To go even more on this same subject, When I met Saenchai I got to talk with him about how he kicks to the inside leg, obviously theres many ways to do this and im sure he uses more than one, but what he did, was basically a flicky style kick, foot slap to the inside thigh, it was very painful. Just going off about how limiting yourself to one way of doing things is dumb. Saenchai incorporates alot of muay boran into his muay thai that has proven effective for him. Most people disregard muay boran for the ring.

check the jab.

For sure he could’ve had better sparring partners, these guys were standing still and reacting heavy to everything. I like the fake into the lead hook but that’s a common boxing technique just replace the flick with a body jab feint into a lead hook.

yeah bruce lee uses boxing, and as we can see here by his chin up and hands down, his boxing skills were not the best.

el oh el

how the hell do you know what he is doing? You should watch me play soccer when im bored ... I look like a retard.

99% of MMA fighters have shit boxing or even lack the basics.

This uppercut is P4P one of the worst in history of Combat sports
tumblr_m9fze5xm7O1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Watch Ngannou ... he is one of the worst punchers in this D level sport.

el oh el

how the hell do you know what he is doing? You should watch me play soccer when im bored ... I look like a retard.

99% of MMA fighters have shit boxing or even lack the basics.

This uppercut is P4P one of the worst in history of Combat sports
tumblr_m9fze5xm7O1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Watch Ngannou ... he is one of the worst punchers in this D level sport.

I just want to know, who do you consider "a level"?

Back