** The 42nd Annual 2014 Petey Awards **

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peteyandjia, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Saku Spring Staff Member Forum Administrator

Ahh, 2014.

Another year passed.

But, how to process all this MMA greatness?

Forget the elitist Oscars, forget the gay Tonys. Fuck their sister the Emmys, and even their old grandma Grammys.

The time is NOW. And here, NOW, is the official, premiere, highest-regarded, most respected MMA Awards show in all the game:

The 42nd Annual Petey Awards for Excellence in MMA

[​IMG]

That's right!

All your favorite stars, all the greatest moments, all the awards that matter for 2014.

Enjoy!

WARNING: The following presentation, is Long. No, I mean it's really Long. Longer than Luke Rockhold's... ... ... reach. (What? He's range-y.) Anyway, dive in at your own risk, & hopefully, reward. Cheers!

Ladies, And Gentlemen!

We are pleased to ...

oh, what's that? this is the internet? ... ah. right. let me start again.

*ahem*

Gentlemen!

We are pleased to have all of you here. Now please be seated, please be seated. So that the show may begin. Please be seated. Sit the fuck down.

Wonderful!

Now, let us begin.

Without further ado, I present to you, this past year's winners!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Peteyandjia

Just wanted to bump this old thread for this one post, in case anyone wants to read it.

I'll never forget the impression Luke made on me on that random street corner years ago, he was talking to me with an intensity like he was on TV and the whole world was listening. And this was when he was at his lowest, and unknown to casuals.

Crazy that he actually pulled it off and made his dream come true.

3. Peteyandjia

Coach of the Year:

and the winner is...

John Kavanagh (SBG)

[​IMG]

John Kavanagh is quite the interesting fellow. Sure, you may know that he is the head coach over at Ireland's SBG (Straight Blast Gym). Sure, you may know he has the hottest MMA prospect-turned-star in Conor McGregor, under his wing. But did you know, that he also has the hottest MMA girlfriend in the game? (Yes, hotter than whatever plastic sidepiece you're thinking of.) Did you know, that he is the first man in Ireland to earn a blackbelt in BJJ? (No, Marcus Davis doesn't count.) Did you know, that he once single-handedly thwarted a would-be terrorist attack on a nunnery in a small Irish village, with nothing but a corkscrew, and some dice? (Okay, that last one isn't true. But the rest are!) These are all high accomplishments, to be sure. However, none of these compare to the honor he is about to receive. Nor are any of them the reason he makes my #1 pick for 2014 MMA Coach of the Year. So let's delve a bit deeper...

While many fight coaches in & around the US over the past decade have seen great success as a result of the boom of MMA, they all shared the benefit of being close to the fire. As the UFC grew suddenly in popularity around the USA, in large part due to the Ultimate Fighter season one, at the same time an Irishman with a dream was planting seeds in his home country, a small bit of green land floating on the edge of the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, a place no one really cared about or noticed as far as the MMA world was concerned. Mixed Martial Arts in Ireland in the mid-2000s just meant mixing in a kick to the balls, with your sloppy drunken overhand right in a barfight. (Highly recommended by the way.) However, through much passionate vision, dedication over many years, & steady smart hard work throughout, Kavanagh & SBG managed to turn Ireland from a place that was barely a blip on MMA's radar when the UFC first went there as a novelty in 2009, into a booming hotbed of widespread enthusiasm for the game in 2014. It's easy to sit here now and say 'of course MMA is big in Ireland, they love fighting', but if you can imagine & understand, things like this do not happen without much blood, sweat & tears. A lot of being broke, a lot of sleeping on couches, a lot of people telling them to quit. Years without traditionally-defined success. Yet even with no 'reasonable' hope or blueprint to believe it could be done, Kavanagh and his merry band of fellow mad dreamers at SBG, have indeed turned their vision into reality - a reality which finally came to a boil in 2014, when the UFC hosted a major event for only the second time ever in Ireland, and the first time in 5 years. And not just as a small, niche sideshow amusement, as it was to mainstream Ireland in 2009; this time with MMA being a far more respected game there, garnering substantial interest and coverage from the country's mainstream eye.

That kind of huge progress for MMA in any country is huge, and as a huge fan of MMA, I am hugely grateful. Did I use huge enough in that sentence? I hugely hope so.

[​IMG]
    (pictured above: a goat & his shepherd, ballin' with babes. photo by tracy lee.)

The world of MMA saw a lot of great coaching in 2014. And we know that a talented coach can make all the difference, to raise a fighter, or even a team of fighters, to the great heights of the big stage - but to raise an entire country to the main stage, this is a truly outstanding accomplishment, quite literally the stuff dreams are made of. Not to say that Kavanagh has done all this himself; as I'm sure he would be the first to tell you, it is a process which has taken many people a great deal of sacrifice and a lot of teamwork, and continues to. But if the major progress that MMA made in Ireland this year has been a victory a long time in the making, then surely it is undeniable that John Kavanagh and his team over at SBG have been the tip of the spear. For this reason, amongst a host of honors won and surely to be won in the future, John Kavanagh can now add the finest honor of all to his collection - The 2014 Petey Award for Best Coach of the Year. Erin go Bravo, John. Or something like that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. Peteyandjia

Most Improved Fighter:

and the winner is...

Luke Rockhold

[​IMG]

When I first met Luke Rockhold, back in 2013, he was standing on a street corner, handing out free shit, and barely anyone noticed, or cared.

Yes... this is actually true.

Okay, let me set the scene. I'm driving along in my car, when I get a call from my friend. "Hey, Dana White just tweeted out that you can get free UFC tickets if you get to the corner of such-and-such & so-and-so!" Well, it just so happened by a stroke of great luck, that I was about ten blocks away from the corner of such-and-such & so-and-so. So, I did what any normal person would do; I jammed on the brakes, pulled the e-brake, did the Bruce Buffer 180 with my car in the middle of a busy intersection, and proceeded to Rampage Jackson my way all over sidewalks, parked cars, pedestrians of various stages of pregnancy, and whoever the fuck else decided to get in my way. (Affa.) And wouldn't you know it, just a few minutes later, sure as fuck - there he was, some guy on the corner, holding a stack of what looked like tickets, handing them out! There was no parking space, so I double-parked on a fairly busy street, jumped out & made a dash for my prize. Screw it, the parking ticket & tow would be about the price of a UFC ticket anyway (Dana needs that driveway snow yo), so I figured it was worth the risk. As I approached, I thought to myself... look at that beautiful head of hair... hey, that's not Dana White... then I thought... who is this tall, dashing man? Then I had a feeling down there, and I thought... wait, why is it moving? Actually I guess maybe that's one of those thoughts I should keep to myself huh? Anyway... then it hit me. Luke Rockhold! Standing in front of me, on a street corner! About to give me free UFC tickets! At least, I hope he is. If he doesn't want to, I guess there really ain't shit I can do about it, when you think about it. Luckily for me, he was indeed there to act as Dana's bearer of good gifts.

Before this encounter, Rockhold had most recently been on the receiving end of a fast-traveling foot from one Mr. Vitor Belfort, a crazy spinning heel kick that sent Luke down to the mat, and not many fans cared about him after that. Prior to that, he was a Middleweight champion in the now-defunct Strikeforce organization, wherein he defeated the likes of such fighters as (then also fairly unknown) 'Jacare' Souza, and Tim Kennedy. After Strikeforce was purchased & closed down, Luke's crossover was delayed by injury. Finally he came over to the UFC, without much attention from media, but with some buzz amongst hardcore fans. But whatever juice he had quickly came crashing down, with one spinning heel kick to the face in the first round. After that, to most people, he was just some guy standing on a street corner, handing out event tickets. Just some handsome, dashing, beautiful guy... dimples... wait what? Okay, sorry. Anyways, on that fateful street corner in 2013, this was our interaction, to the very best of my recollection.

Me: "Hey... Strikeforce Middleweight champion and UFC contender, Luke Rockhold!"

Luke: "Hey man, how's it going."

(he was very friendly, and seemed happy to be recognized. the couple who had gotten tickets right before me, pretty much just grabbed them from him and left without recognizing him, like they thought he was just some UFC assisstant or something.)

Me: "So, I can just like, have a pair of tickets, for free?"

Luke: "Yep. Here you go man."

(I took the tickets. there was no one else around coming up to him at that moment, so I took an extra minute.)

Me: "Hey, just want to say I appreciate all the performances. Even the last one, against Vitor."

Luke: "Well, I lost that one, so I'm not too happy about it."

Me: "I understand that. But I am an old-school fan, I think I have the Japanese-style approach to it. The way they always love the spirited fighters, win or lose. You happened to be on the wrong end of this one, you will probably be on the right end of the next one, like it goes."

Luke: "I will definitely be on the right end of the next one."

Me: "I understand that every fight has a winner and a loser, every move requires both people for it to happen, and every fighter will probably play both roles at some point. So as a fan, thanks for both."

Luke: "Wow, well that's a pretty enlightened fan perspective. I appreciate it. But I'm not happy about it at all. It really pisses me off to think about it, and I'm going to show the world what I didn't show them in that fight. You will see."

Me: "That's awesome. I am looking forward to it."

I thanked him for the UFC tickets, and ran back to my car. No parking ticket, no tow, no jacked car. Score! What stuck with me the most from the encounter, was two things: One, how no one gave a fuck about him. These are MMA fans, casual I suppose, but still. As I drove away, I watched two more people come up to him, and basically just grab their tickets and leave without recognizing him. So weird. I wanted to yell out the car window. "This guy beat Jacare, you morons!" The other thing which stuck with me more though, was the complete and total determination, he wore on his sleeve. Here I was, just some random schmuck on a street corner, and instead of just blowing me off with niceties or one-word answers, he was basically promising me in an intense way that he was going to go on a win streak. I got the sense he would say this to anyone, whether it was Dana White or the doorman at the hotel, with the same intensity. That kind of clear, focused passion seems necessary to success, and would indeed prove to show itself over the following year, as Luke absolutely crushed it in 2014.

And what a difference a year makes. Nowadays, if Luke Rockhold stands on a street corner in broad daylight, in any kind of situation related to MMA, he would get mobbed. If not only by UFC fans for his in-cage accomplishments, then also by all their sisters & mothers, for his younger Don Draper good looks, & the now-infamous picture of the barely-contained Rockhard salami. Don't know what I'm talking about? I'll tell you when you're older. (Don't google it kids)

But let's get back to business, shall we? This ain't the goddamn Grindr Awards, this is the mother-fuckin' Peteys! And when we're talking about Most Improved Fighter, it's hard to think of a better example than a guy who goes from forgotten 'minor-leagues' champ, to absolutely demolishing high-level UFC competitors in the first goddamn round. And by any, and every means available in the game. From decently well-rounded, to absolute MMA virtuoso finisher. Inverted triangle to kimura? Yep, he can do that. Bodykick KO? Yep, he got those. One-arm guillotine, on a guy who had never been submitted in 31 professional MMA fights, including 21 in the UFC? Yep, he did that. Luke Rockhold had one hell of a year in 2014. He went from a guy that most casual fans didn't know, and most hardcore fans respected but perhaps were not excited about, to absolute must-see TV. And for that, for all of that, Luke Rockhold wins his most coveted prize yet - the 2014 Petey Award, for Most Improved Fighter.

5. Peteyandjia

Upset of the Year:

and the winner is...

TJ Dillashaw (vs. Renan Barao)

[​IMG]

How quickly we forget. The fleeting nature of fame is perhaps no more evident and extreme as it is in MMA. One minute you're a hot prospect, making it into the big show, you become a UFC champ, you're riding an absolutely unheard-of 33-fight unbeaten streak... and the next minute, you eat one goddamn overhand right, followed by a few rounds of ass-whupping... and suddenly, you're an overrated, washed-up can. Sure, it's easy to forget the roll he was on now, but let's take a quick walk down memory lane, shall we? Because before this fight, Renan Barao was right there, on the cusp of something special. He was The Guy. All of the rankings, the P4P lists, the Dana rants, all hailed Renan as a top 3 fighter in all of MMA. He was the star, that was just about to be born. Renan was just starting to receive the kind of 'GOAT' and 'aura' talk usually reserved for proven legends with well-known established legacies, such as Anderson, Fedor, and McGregoat. Just a few more wins in the spotlight, and Renan would have cemented an Aldo-type legacy. Then, one little alpha male had to come along, out of the shadows, and screw it all up.

Everyone picked Barao to win this fight. Everyone. If your friend tells you he picked Dillashaw, he's lying. Kick him out of your house right now. He is not trustworthy. He'll probably steal something from your room when you go to take a piss. Kick him out. Do it! Go ahead, I'll wait. Okay, done? Good. The not just common, but universal thinking was this: Urijah is the alpha male at Alpha Male, and he already had two cracks at Renan; if he couldn't get the job done, no one would. Dillashaw was just going to be another not-so-big name on a long list of heads Renan was collecting, while we all waited for Dominick Cruz to maybe get better, and MAYBE be the last threat to Renan at 135. And then, seemingly out of nowhere, that devastating first-round overhand right happened, dropping Barao, and the subsequent rounds that followed fell like dominoes. Of course, that overhand right wasn't out of nowhere; it was out of the mind of one Mr. Duane 'Bang' Ludwig. The former MMA fighter-turned-striking-coach/guru, who had spent the last few years teaching Team Alpha Male how to stop guillotining people, & just punch and kick them in the face with marksmanship precision, maximized power, and slick footwork. Ludwig single-handedly turned little wrestlers, into big strikers. And by all accounts, Dillashaw is his star pupil; the one he has the closest relationship with. Ludwig's influence on the striking of Dillashaw can be described less as a tune-up, and perhaps more as a complete overhaul. According to TJ himself, every bit of footwork in his new style, every attack and combination, all stem from Bang's work with him. Dillashaw stepped into this fight with Barao as a 10 to 1 underdog, going up against a reigning champion who hadn't lost a fight in nearly a decade; and then proceeded not only to win, but to wipe the fucking floor with Renan, for nearly 5 rounds, before finishing him off with a headkick and some ground & pound. He then went on to show that his newfound striking prowess was no fluke, defending his title against Joe Soto, who while a late replacement, was also the Bellator Featherweight champion, and TJ handled him soundly - strangely, finishing him as well with a headkick and followup strikes in the 5th, same as he did Barao. Not just the biggest upset of 2014, but one of the biggest upsets in MMA history, and a fight that truly made Dillashaw's name. And it is for that reason, & for that truly amazing performance, that TJ Dillashaw wins the 2014 Petey Award for Upset of the Year.

6. Peteyandjia

Domination of the Year:

and the winner is...

Dominick Cruz (vs. Takeya Mizugaki)

[​IMG]

"3 years, 2 surgeries, 1 minute."

I don't know who said this; I wish I did, because it's brilliant. I saw it somewhere on twitter at the time. If someone knows, let me know and I'll credit them.

It had been three long, arduous years since Cruz fought. Years filled with repeated injuries, repeated hopes, and repeated heartbreaks. Finally, Cruz was set to make his long-awaited return, against a very tough & game top 5'er on a nice 5-fight win streak, in Takeya Mizugaki. And return, Cruz did.

When that opening bell rang, Dominick Cruz came out there like a mad dog, who had been chained to a wall, staring at a piece of meat, just out of reach, for 3 years. And the moment that chain was taken off, it took him mere seconds to absolutely devour Mizugaki, like a helpless plate of juicy steak tips. Actually, the wild starving dog analogy fails in one way, in that it does not give Cruz even a little more credit of which he is due: the very first thing Cruz did in that performance, was actually a slick bit of intelligent defense. For a guy known primarily for his movement, I found it very satisfyingly fitting that Dominick's first action inside the octagon, after 3 long years off with injuries, was to deftly dodge a charging right hand from Mizugaki, right off the bat. And it was an artful slip, too. Cruz's defense really is a thing of beauty to watch - but it was the absolute prison-raping he dished out immediately after it, which took us all by surprise, most especially poor Takeya.

Usually a pretty tough guy (he had only been finished with strikes once before, about ten years ago), Mizugaki simply had no answer for the sudden barrage of strikes that Cruz unloaded - the speed, the accuracy, the power, the goddamn urgency - Cruz simply would not be denied, eventually dropping Mizugaki to one knee against the cage, whereupon Cruz finished him off with a seemingly endless machine-gunning of right hands to the face, like seriously in the double-digits. It looked like Cruz was trying to squeeze in every punch onto Mizugaki's face that he would have thrown in 3 years worth of fights, just to make up for his absence. I remember that was the last fight on the 'free' prelims, just before UFC 178 PPV was about to start. As if I wasn't going to buy that PPV anyway (it was a great one), after watching that, shit I would have bought it twice. The Dominator earned his nickname this year, and far more importantly - he earns the 2014 Petey Award for Best Domination of the Year.

7. Peteyandjia

Fumble of the Year:

and the winner is...

Shogun Rua (vs. OSP)

[​IMG]

Shogun Rua, by all rights an absolute legend in the game of MMA, had in all of his many years of unarmed combat competition, never been finished by strikes - until Jon Jones made him tap to them, and give up his UFC LHW title. Now, there is no shame in getting beaten - even demolished - by Jon Jones. He is, perhaps without question, the greatest LHW in MMA history, and arguably so for a few years now. And there is also no shame, in getting blasted to death by Hendo, creator of the H-Bomb. And not to say there is any shame in getting knocked out by OSP either, or really to anyone else, for that matter; but to do so in 34 seconds, and in the goofiest-looking way possible, charging across the cage and throwing what can only be described as a drunkard's punch, the ol' guard-down, telegraphed, wide-arc swing & a miss; and then to simply appear to fall down, again as though drunk, and get swarmed on with some quick hooks for the TKO - Jesus fucking Christ, that really could not have gone any worse.

I mean in the interest of fairness, I suppose it could have gone worse, if that were me in there, instead of Shogun. I likely would have done the ol' Tim Sylvia #2 in the shorts, followed by an even quicker KO, and then a lot of crying on national television. But still. I am a fat internet douche, and Shogun is the equivalent of a goddamn bona-fide MMA war hero. In particular, one thing Shogun was known for was his iron chin.

Now all of this over-dramatic internetery aside, the intellectual part of my brain knows that this can happen to anyone. Probably at any time in one's career, really. The slow-motion replay revealed what was actually a pretty clean, pretty goddamn slick fadeaway counter left hook from OSP, landed right on the button, dropping an over-eager Shogun charging in. But still. Thirty-four seconds. The fuck. Looked like a goddamn comedy sketch. Shogun, I am sad to say this earns you the 2014 Petey Award for Fumble of the Year.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  8. Peteyandjia

Comeback of the Year:

Yoel Romero (vs. Tim Kennedy)

[​IMG]

Ah, this fight made me happy. Oh, so happy. Nothing like a little justice.

It started out simple enough; Yoel Romero, edging out a seemingly outmatched but game Tim Kennedy, was fairly easily winning the first two rounds of a three-round match. Yoel was slowing down a bit, but Kennedy had no answer for Yoel's offense, and could not seem to find a way in through Yoel's defense. It looked like Romero was going finish out the second, maybe coast through the third the same way, and take a pretty clear 30-27 over Kennedy. And then this happened.

[​IMG]

To the undiscerning eye, including most of us watching live, Kennedy suddenly landed some really hard uppercuts which rocked Romero, he was saved by the bell, and then he got some extra time in the corner (about 30 seconds), about which much ado was made.

But what most people didn't realize until after the match, thanks to the technological wonder of video replay, was that Tim Kennedy only landed those vicious uppercuts - if you look closely - due to a nice firm illegal grip he had with his fingers on the inside of the wrist of Romero's glove.

Hey, fair is fair. But unfair, is unfair. And grabbing inside the glove in order to land the first and most significant strikes of your match, is distinctly unfair. If anything, the shameless glove-grab uppercut combo made Romero's comeback all the more heroic. He was now clearly the good guy at that point, and Tim was the out-matched cheat, on the verge getting away with something. Thankfully, the gods were kind that day, and Romero was allowed to mete out justice in the third round, with a jaw-dropping combo that left Kennedy in a heap on the mat, and Romero the rightful winner. For that amazing display of technique & heart, while on the very edge of the precipice of defeat, you Mr. Yoel Romero, now find yourself victorious once again, the recipient of the 2014 Petey Award for Comeback of the Year.

And to you Mr. Kennedy, I say: maybe you need to go back the the Middle East, where the competition is a little easier.

- Petey Leben

9. Peteyandjia

Celebration of the Year:

Dominick Cruz (vs. Takeya Mizugaki)

[​IMG]
    (gif by sherdog legend lucipher alpha)

Something I didn't mention earlier, in presenting Mr. Cruz with the Best Domination award for this one. Perhaps the best part about this fight for me, was the post-fight 'celebration' by Cruz. Most fighters yell out, or jump on the cage, all smiles; not Cruz. He just walks away from the finish, to the other side of the octagon, stands there, and you can just see his fucking SOUL breathe a sigh of relief, of rebirth, of redemption. This poor guy had been waiting three long years of rollercoaster ups and downs, almosts, not quites, finally got in there, and made sure he made the most of it, quickly bringing the sword of execution down on poor Takeya, and then just stood there.

It reminded me of in 'Highlander', when one of the immortals would kill another immortal, and then stand there sucking in all their lifeforce. What, you think that's a lame reference? Go watch some more shitty comic book movies then, where guys wear costumes with nipples on them, and don't kill anybody. You panzy. ... Sorry. I digress. Point is, yeah I know I already gave Dommy one award already, but Christ, the guy just blew his other ACL. It's gonna be awhile, he's pretty much out of the running for any awards in 2015. And this ain't pity anyway, that really is my favorite, and so I present to you Mr. Cruz, the 2014 Petey Award for Best Celebration of the Year.

Extra note:

We already have 'GET WELL' cards; I think we need to come out with 'AND STAY THAT WAY' cards, just for Dominick. Fuck's sake man, the OTHER knee now?!? The fuck?? Unless Dominick set fire to a packed school bus full of orphans in a past life, then God is one cruel-ass motherfucker. (no offense god. please don't smite me. oh, what's that you say? I'm a fat guy with 57,898,093,344 posts on an internet forum? ah. right. already smoted)

10. Peteyandjia

Best Dressed Fighter (Male):

Conor McGregor

[​IMG]

Hey, what can I say. He talks the talk, but he also walks the fuckin' walk. That ivory suit he was talking about, was actually worth waiting for. Cut from the finest linens, yada yada, etc. etc. You know the spiel, I'm sure. The guy looks good. And yeah, he bothers to check in with a tailor. Note to all the fighters, who try to dress up, but then show up with goofy shirts it looks like they got at Target, and a suit jacket it looks like maybe they got for free when their uncle died, because he was the same size, and "it fits" -- it doesn't. Go to a fucking tailor. You're on TV. Just because you don't make GOAT money, doesn't mean you have to look like you smell like a fucking goat.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, just play it like a slob - y'know, the 'I just came from or am going to the gym" look. Sweatshirt, hands tucked in that big front pocket thingy, gym shorts, sneakers. Hopefully with a sponsor on the front, so you can afford to go to a freakin tailor next time. But either way, don't half-ass it. If you're gonna dress up, dress up.

But enough of that, I'm rambling up here on stage now. Mr. McGregoat, I humbly present you with the 2014 Petey Fashion Award for Best Dressed Male Fighter.

[​IMG]

11. Peteyandjia

Best Dressed Fighter (Female):

The 2014 Petey Fashion Award for Best Dressed Female Fighter, goes to:

Rin Nakai.

[​IMG]

I'm not going to go into a long-winded spiel, explaining myself.

She wore a goddamn schoolgirl outfit to a weigh-in.

You're either in, or you're out on this one.

And I'm fuckin' in.

Way the fuck in...

[​IMG]
    (pictured above: Dana visits a cosplay convention. oh no wait, that's a UFC press conference. my bad.)

12. Peteyandjia

Referee of the Year:

A great referee in MMA, is like a great movie editor: If they do their job really well, then most of the time, you shouldn't even notice them at all.

And so, the 2014 Petey Award for Best Referee of the Year, goes to... what's his name again? I forget. The one who does that weird thing with his hands right before the fight. No not that one, the other one. He's always right in there, when he needs to be, but he hardly ever stops the fights early. You know who I'm talking about. I forget his name...

Ah, fuck it. I can't remember. So I'm just gonna give this year's award, to...

Josh Rosenthal

[​IMG]

Hey, say what you want, at least he didn't screw anything or anyone up in 2014.

Shit, at least I hope he didn't screw anyone... *shiver*

Hang in there Josh. We miss ya buddy.

13. Peteyandjia

Prospect of the Year:

Michael 'Venom' Page

[​IMG]

Michael 'Venom' Page has been an MMA fighter for the last few years, currently competing in the Bellator organization. He has less than ten MMA fights, but every one of them is fucking amazing, except for his last one, which was merely impressive. If you are not following this guy, you are missing out on some majorly entertaining shit. I recommend you start from his first fight, (youtube) and watch each of them in order so you can follow the progress in order. He was basically an experienced, unorthodox kickboxer who tried MMA, and stuck with it. Which sounds one-dimensional, right? But then there he is, in his 2nd pro MMA fight, he gets taken down, so what does he do? Armbar. In his most recent bout, he showed some real improvement in his takedown defense, and standing clinch game. No doubt about it though, his main appeal so far is his flashy, poetic, dynamic kickboxing. Picture Anderson Silva, if he took dance lessons from Genki Sudo. Go watch his fights. I can't wait to see what he does in 2015, so far every performance has been a real pleasure. I am also pleased, to bestow upon him the 2014 Petey Award for Best Prospect of the Year.

Runners-up, also ones to watch in 2015: Kenny Robertson, quietly putting together quite the skill arsenal; and a TRT-less Vitor. That's right, haters: The Old Lion is back, and while the animal trainers may have removed the gummy beary juice from his feed bucket, he's still got plenty of Jesus juice in the tank. The Chris, beware.

14. Peteyandjia

Organization of the Year:

The 2014 Petey Award for Best Organization of the Year, goes to...

the UFC

[​IMG]

Come on. It's still not even close. It's kinda not even fair, they had such a huge head start over everybody else. But then again, they were there before everybody else, giving a shit, way back then. So... the early bird gets the worm, I guess? What's Shooto's excuse then? Sheesh. Anyway, yeah. Let me formally announce, that I will not be joining the lawsuit against the UFC. Though I do wish they would pay the fighters more. I still love it though, and I buy almost every PPV. Even the ones with that tiny little Mighty Mouse guy. You know, the guy who's so small, he had to actually put Mouse in his name. Couldn't even fuck around with one of those ironic big guy names. Kim Winslow shouldn't be allowed to ref fights in those divisions by the way, it's goddamned emasculating. Takes me out of it, to see her towering over two 'contenders' at the touch-gloves. It looks like a gothy art teacher breaking up a kindergarten fight at recess. Anyway. Yeah. Congrats UFC!

15. Peteyandjia

Commentator of the Year:

Joe Rogan

[​IMG]

When it comes to MMA commentating, I am pretty goddamn picky. Honestly, I watch a lot of fights live with the sound off, or low, tuning out the commentators. Nothing against them, I just like to focus on what I want to focus on. No question in my mind though, Joe is the best in the game. He gets a lot of crap, but then again who doesn't. He also gets a lot of praise, and rightfully so. Say what you want about his opinions, agree or disagree, but the guy seems to have a pretty open mind about discussing them, and nobody translates the game for casual fans like Joe. I think a lot of us prickly MMA nerds take that for granted. He does a great job breaking down what is going on for newer fans, people who want to check out MMA, and maybe don't already know 'EVERYTHING' about it like us hardcores think we do. He's pretty damn great at that, the best I'd say. And so it is my honor, to present Powerful Joe Rogan with the 2014 Petey Award for Best Commentator of the Year.

On a related note: Stephen Quadros, legendary former Pride commentator, has been absolutely Doing Work over in the GLORY promotion this past year. If you're into kickboxing, definitely give it a watch, and he a listen.

16. Peteyandjia

Podcast of the Year:

Pro MMA Radio

[​IMG]

There are a small handful of what I consider to be very good MMA podcasts out there. Ones that I will check out all the time. But only one that I break open and dive into, the second I see that a new one has been posted. And that's not to say I agree with everything I hear on it. Heck, I often disagree with things said on the show. But do you know what the sign of a great show is? When you can listen to it, agree or disagree, but always appreciate the way the opinion is delivered, and keep coming back for more. Pro MMA Radio does just that, and so I present it with the 2014 Petey Award for Best MMA Podcast of the Year.

17. Peteyandjia

Media Person of the Year:

Larry Pepe

[​IMG]

I like a lot of the MMA media out there. A few I don't like, but a lot of them I do; but I just gotta give this guy the credit he deserves, that he doesn't seem to get. Host of the aforementioned Pro MMA Radio, Larry Pepe has done a bunch of great interviews over the years with a lot of top MMA players - including the infamous Chael Sonnen 'Mexican' interview - and gives his opinions out on his weekly podcast, but more to the point of this award: He is always honest with his opinions and his reporting, even to his own possible detriment. That's easy when you're an anonymous schmuck on the internet, perhaps not so easy when you are a member of the media. We all see it: MMA journalists, interviewers, reporters, writers, sometimes being a little too careful with what they say, or worse, often just not saying it at all, for fear of some kind of blacklisting retribution. But Larry don't give a fuck. He will say what he thinks is the truth, regardless of where that puts him with various individuals and organizations. And not in a nutty, conspiracy theorist kind of way, but rather just an old-school, hard-nosed reporter kinda way. Pepe tells it how he sees it, tells it how he feels it, and keeps asking the relevant questions. For all these reasons, Larry Pepe is now the proud recipient of the 2014 Petey Award for Best Media Person of the Year.

18. Peteyandjia

Staredown of the Year:

Jon Jones & Daniel Cormier

[​IMG]

Well, if this one wasn't obvious. Yeah, it was unnecessary. Yeah, it was arguably bad for MMA. And yeah... it was awesome. On the one hand, these are two professionals at the top of the game, two champions, two idols, two 'role models' younger guys may look up to; and for them to behave in this way, turning it into more of a 'street' thing, is not a good look. On the other hand, nobody got hurt, Conor McGregor took a selfie with a fan in the middle of the melee, and in the end, the UFC got footage that they chose to re-run endlessly, and honestly probably did single-handedly tack on another 50k or so PPV buys. In any case: the heat is real, the rivalry is legit, and that staredown was amazing. Jon "He karate chopped my neck" Jones, and Daniel "No man will push my head" Cormier, you two may have championship belts at home, but you can now add an even higher honor to your collections - the 2014 Petey Award for Best Staredown of the Year.

19. Peteyandjia

Quote of the Year:

Ben Rothwell

"Love has made me into a monster."

- Nietzsche

- whoops, no wait actually that was Ben Rothwell, post-fight interview w/ Joe Rogan, Fight Night 50, just after knocking out Alistair Overeem

[​IMG]

The quote speaks for itself. Of course, Rothwell was talking about how all the support he had from his family & his team helped him overcome adversity, and reach his potential as a martial artist, but I just like the quote on its own.

Big Ben, I hereby present to you the 2014 Petey Award for Best Quote of the Year.

20. Peteyandjia

The 2014 Petey Award for Honor & Gamesmanship:

and the award goes to...

KJ Noons

[​IMG]

It was just a fight on a small fight card, the little-watched TUF 20 finale. KJ Noons was set to face Lightweight hopeful, Daron Cruickshank. One of those not very well-known, but dangerous, hungry guys trying to climb the ladder. The first round was a difficult one for both men; lots of back and forth, very evenly matched, could have easily been scored a 10-10. KJ Noons, the bigger name, was going to have his hands full with the lesser known fighter, and vice versa. Then the second round began. Almost immediately there was a crazy exchange between them, with both men swinging wildly. Something landed, and Cruickshank fell, as Noons swarmed on him looking for the finish. But something was off.

In the scramble, Cruickshank managed to make it up to his feet, one hand covering his face, and as he frantically backed away tried to escape the continuing attack from KJ, Cruickshank yelled out something to referee Big John McCarthy.

"He poked me in the eye!", Daron yelled. But Big John McCarthy didn't see it. And so instead of stepping in to help him, Big John just yelled back at him. "No, no, no, you gotta go." (As in, I'm not helping you, continue fighting.) But just then, something really interesting happened. Something you really don't see much of in MMA. KJ Noons, refused to advance on Darren. He heard what Cruickshank said, put it together, and refused to take advantage. Big John had just commanded them to fight, but KJ just stood there, stopping his attack all together. McCarthy was then forced to intervene, and checked out Daron's eye, and with the help of the replay, it was obvious. The doctor came in, Cruickshank was clearly unable to continue, and the bout was ruled a No Contest.

Now, here's the point. 90% of the time in this situation, a fighter would simply jump on him, take complete advantage of the situation, take advantage of the archaic nature of rule enforecement in the current landscape of this young game called mainstream MMA, take advantage of the inane adage repeated by shallow-thinking fans that "you go until the ref stops you", and would have gotten away with the TKO, and the win, because fights rarely get overturned, and records rarely get changed, and the masses barely give a fuck, and everyone will forget or not care a week later. It is basically encouraged that one should be like a worm, to take every advantage possible, fair or unfair. Instead, KJ Noons chose a different path: to be a fucking Man.

Personally I think it's a shame this isn't more the norm, rather than the exception; a man having principle, valuing fairness & honor, and doing the right thing, even though it is harder. After all, this is not combat to the death; these are not wild animals; these are human beings, and they ought act like them. KJ displayed the honor of a truly good soul in that moment, and for that I admire him; and so it is humbly, gratefully, that I present Mr. Noons with the 2014 Petey Award for Honor & Gamesmanship. Well done, KJ.

Now there's a guy you can trust around your wallet.

Of course, for every Yin, there is a Yang.

And so it goes, onto our next award of the evening...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  21. Peteyandjia

Jerk of the Year:

and the award goes to...

Paul Harris

[​IMG]

Again? Seriously? He did it AGAIN?? Just let go of the fucking leg, man! How hard is that?? He tapped! For God's sake, they ALL tapped!!! The guy already got kicked out of the UFC for this shit, and even that clearly wasn't enough for him. What's a guy gotta do to get banned from MMA around here, anyway? I get it, that he's a bit, shall I say, 'slow'. I get it, that he's maybe not a bad guy, outside of this. But hey, a knee is a fucking knee. It's already the most poorly designed part of the human body. (Way to go God.) We don't need to make it worse, by letting this musclebound treestump of a man go all Paul Daley on your ligaments, after the tap. And don't give me that shit about the ref being any part of this equation. When a guy taps, you let go. Period. This isn't 1993 where people might not see, the ref and the 3 cameras are right there. This also isn't the ancient Roman Coliseum, where gladiators are fighting to the death. The tap is sacred. Respect the honor of your opponent. Let the fuck go, you nut! Paul Harris, I hereby sentence you, to the distinct dishonor of bearing the 2014 Petey Award for Jerk of the Year. Shame on you. Shame I say!!!