• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Fight of the Year
Despite all of the challenges and hurdles faced by the UFC, MMA, Fans and Fighters alike 2020 still brought fourth some incredible action, and its no surprise that this list is stuffed full of action, drama, tension and of course, controversy.

Weili Zhang Vs. Joanna Jedrzejczkvia - UFC 248 - Split Decision win for Weili

085_Zhang_Weili_x_Joanna_Je_drzejczyk.5.jpg

On March 7th Weili and Joanna faced off for the Strawweight title match in what can only be described as a true test of grit, determination and tenacity. For 5 full rounds they exchanged leather, and did everything they could to pull out a victory. Of course, I wouldn't be doing the fight justice if I didn't recall the massive welt that formed on Joanna's head, causing both concern and intrigue across the MMA community. The result was arguably on of the most memorable MMA fights to-date.​

Vincente Luque Vs Niko Price - UFC 249 - Niko Price Wins via TKO

luque-price.jpg

These two fighters are known for their aggressiveness, striking, and unique flavor that they bring to the sport. When fans saw this match made, it was no doubt this was going to be a barn burner and when Vincente and Niko met in the octagon on May 5th the fans were not disappointed.​

Spike Carlyle Vs. Billy Quarantillo UFC in ESPN - Spike Wins Via UD

16x9.jpg

When this match was made, a rivalry began to bubble between Spike and Billy. Spike had defeated Billy's teammate Aalon Cruz earlier in the year at UFC Norfolk. From the opening bell, the events that followed can only be described as chaos, showmanship, and two guys who refused to lose to each other....but mostly chaos. There were flying knees, there were wild haymakers....and even a showmanship moment by Spike that almost went horrible wrong when he turned his back to his opponent at the end of round 1, and began walking to his corner before the bell rang and nearly got Ko'd for it. While its not the highest profile fight on this list, its certainly the most chaotic.​

Josh Emmett Vs. Shane Burgos - UFC on ESPN 10 - Shane Burgos Wins Via UD

1251055511.jpg.0.jpg

Shane Burgos always likes to move forward, pressure his opponent, but typically likes to counter punch. Josh Emmet likes to walk his opponents into his monster punches. What happens when two naturally counter intuitive styles collide? Straight up fireworks. With both fighters at such crucial stages in their careers, neither guy was going to leave the octagon by their own free will. Massive punches and kicks were thrown on both sides in a back and forth battle in one of those fights where you wish there wasn't a loser.

Dustin Poirer Vs Dan Hooker - UFC on ESPN12 - Dustin wins Via UD

dustin-poirier-dan-hooker-ufc-on-espn-12-3.jpg

Dustin was coming off a heartbreaking loss to Khabib, and Dan Hooker had been storming through the division, and smashing his way to a deservedly massive fight with Dustin. When the two met in the octagon it became immediately clear that Dustin Poirer wasn't going anywhere, and that Dan Hooker belonged amongst the ranks of the Lightweight Elite. This was a fight that evolved, adapted and changed through out a brutal 5 rounds. Both fighters were pushed well beyond their breaking points and provided a competitive scrap that will be remembered for years to come.

Deiveson Figueiredo Vs Brandon Moreno - UFC 256 - Majority Draw

1290964388.jpg

Due to Petr Yan Vs. Aljamin Sterling falling apart at the last second, the last UFC PPV of the year was in jeopardy. Fig and Moreno impressed and shocked fans with their performances at UFC 255, and decided that they would be the heroes that the fans deserved, and save UFC 256. On just 3 weeks notice, the two flyweights met in a battle for the Flyweight Belt. The significance of this fight is undeniable, as it resembles the beginning of a new age in Flyweight that fans have been craving since the departure of Demetrious Johnson.

Jon Jones Vs Dominick Reyes - UFC 247 - Jon Jones Wins Via Unanimous Decision

9-16-scaled.jpg

Jon Jones has been one of the most dominant champions the UFC has ever seen, but as we've learned over the years sometimes the greats are challenged the most when you least expect it. Dominick Reyes was a massive underdog going into the fight, but he made betters and Jon Jones fans around the world sweat mightily when he came out of the gates hot vs Jones. The war faded in the later rounds, but provided a controversial and memorable fight that fans still discuss regularly to this day.​

Honorable Mentions:
Marvin Vettori Vs Jack Hermanson - UFC on ESPN 19
Dan Hooker Vs Paul Felder - UFC Fight Night 168

Last edited:
The Joanna fight. It has to win. By the time Joanna went Klingon Sherdog was all like

tenor.gif

Alot of good choices- ironically I believe the one that will garnish most votes I would not vote as F.o.y( Dp v Dh). An exciting fight but a bit one sided to earn " fight of the year" [ FIGHT OF THE YEAR]

Have to give some thought

*Jon- Reyes maybe " closest fight of the year"

Actually starting to lean towards the gals ...maybe

Last edited:
I went with hooker and Dustin , that shit was so brutal and they did not quit no matter how bad it got. It was constantly swinging in momentum and it was just all around amazing with some nice grappling, striking and heart from both (plus I’m a huge Dustin fan so I’m biased). Joanna vs zhang is a very close second for me.

My pick would be Fig vs Moreno, for the fact it was the fight that had me at the edge of my seat. Action packed and had drama on it. Fig showed why he's a champ and that he can go all out until the end and Moreno showed he can take a shot and keep on coming. Showed maturity in his age. Both fighters showed they can dig deep, a great showcase of heart, skill, and class. Joanna vs Weili is legendary and one of the best fights ever, but personally I gotta give it to Fig vs Moreno.

Gotta be Hooker Poirier

Particularly because it was so god damn brutal and they just would not give up. Hooker ended up near deaths door in pretty scary fashion as well.

Zhang / Joanna is pretty close though but the former gets the warriors nod for me.

Back