The 2020 Heavies Awards: Event of the Year *WINNER - UFC 249 Gaethje vs Ferguson

Event of the Year 2020

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackonfire

BMF Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The Heavies Awards

-2020-

EVENT of the YEAR

2020 was a rough year for sports due to the global pandemic. Mixed Martial Arts was not immune. Many of the smaller orgs were unable to hold cards with any regularity. The PFL shut down entirely, hoping to get back on track in 2021. The future for MMA was uncertain when Bellator had to cancel their planned event on March 14th. The UFC followed suit and canceled the March 21st event as well as the next four cards.

But after coming up with a plan for how to move forward in a safe manor, the UFC was able to return to action on May 9th when Tony Ferguson faced off against Justin Gaethje. The remainder of the year saw UFC action every week ending with Thompson vs. Neal on December 19th. It is from those cards that the nominations for event of the year have been selected. As always, if you feel an event has been left off the list, let us know in the comments.

UFC 249 Gaethje vs Ferguson

nla1Gx8.jpg

Justin Gaethje was the big winner of the night defeating Tony Ferguson via decision and earning himself the LW interim title. He also picked up bonuses for fight of the night as well as performance of the night. Henry Cejudu defended his BW title against Dominick Cruz, scoring a tko victory in the 2nd round. This would be Cejudo's last fight. Ngannou also picked up a performance of the night bonus for his 20 second KO of Rozenstruik.

SickPersonalDormouse-size_restricted.gif

HelpfulDownrightCobra-size_restricted.gif

uNwKTvn.gif

aJYZxcn.jpg

UFC on ESPN 8 - Overeem vs. Harris

MLYjddE.jpg

Kevin Holland won the first of five fights he would win in 2020 when he scored a TKO victory over Anthony Hernandez just 39 seconds into the 1st round. Song Yadong vs. Marlon Vera won Fight of the Night honors as Yadong won a controversial decision. Performances of the night went to Miguel Baeza for his TKO victory over Matt Brown, and Cortney Casey for her armbar victory over Mara Romero Borella.

UnevenDelightfulEland-size_restricted.gif

YearlyVerifiableIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

CoordinatedAromaticLeafcutterant-size_restricted.gif

dEZyZ3y.jpg

UFC on ESPN 12 - Poirier vs. Hooker

lWyUx1c.png

This event took place June 27th and saw Dustin Poirier win a hard fought battle against Dan Hooker, picking up a Fight of the Night bonus in the process. Julian Erosa won performance of the night with his D'Arce choke victory over Sean Woodson, and Kay Hansen got a bonus for her armbar victory over Jinh Yu Frey.

InnocentInconsequentialGull-size_restricted.gif

OnlyAppropriateHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

AllScalyAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

tDzL18j.jpg

UFC Fight Night 179: Moraes vs. Sandhagen

plclQfl.jpg

There was no Fight of the Night bonus awarded for this card however, four fighters picked up Performance of the Night honors. Cory Sandhagen won for his TKO victory via spinning kick/punches against Moraes. Tom Breese defeated KB Bhullar via TKO in the 1st round to earn his bonus, and Chris Daukaus earned his bonus with his 45 second KO of Rodrigo Nascimento. But the most memorable performance of the night was Joaquin Buckley's spinning back kick KO over Impa Kasanganay.

EllipticalDecimalAsiandamselfly-size_restricted.gif

DeadFlawedDassierat-size_restricted.gif

ConstantHonestEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

JLPunbT.jpg

UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno

hJm8LJA.jpg

With just a 21 day turn around for the champ Figueiredo, his bout against Moreno won Fight of the Night Honors as the two men fought to a draw. Keven Holland picked up his 5th win of the year with a KO victory over Jacare Souza earning him a Performance of the Night bonus. Rafael Fiziev also picked up a bonus for his 1st round KO of Renato Moicano.

CloudyBlushingFrog-size_restricted.gif

GlamorousVagueBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

HardtofindAltruisticAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif

IhFYJjD.jpg

Check out Sherdog.com Staff Members pick for Event of the Year here.

special thanks to @KazDibiase for the gifs.​

UFC Fight Night 179: Moraes vs. Sandhagen

plclQfl.jpg

There was no Fight of the Night bonus awarded for this card however, four fighters picked up Performance of the Night honors. Cory Sandhagen won for his TKO victory via spinning kick/punches against Moraes. Tom Breese defeated KB Bhullar via TKO in the 1st round to earn his bonus, and Chris Daukaus earned his bonus with his 45 second KO of Rodrigo Nascimento. But the most memorable performance of the night was Joaquin Buckley's spinning back kick KO over Impa Kasanganay.

EllipticalDecimalAsiandamselfly-size_restricted.gif

DeadFlawedDassierat-size_restricted.gif

ConstantHonestEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

JLPunbT.jpg

UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno

hJm8LJA.jpg

With just a 21 day turn around for the champ Figueiredo, his bout against Moreno won Fight of the Night Honors as the two men fought to a draw. Keven Holland picked up his 5th win of the year with a KO victory over Jacare Souza earning him a Performance of the Night bonus. Rafael Fiziev also picked up a bonus for his 1st round KO of Renato Moicano.

CloudyBlushingFrog-size_restricted.gif

GlamorousVagueBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

HardtofindAltruisticAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif

IhFYJjD.jpg

Check out Sherdog.com Staff Members pick for Event of the Year here.

special thanks to @KazDibiase for the gifs.​
I’m gonna vote for 249 because it was the event that I was personally enjoying the most at the time. I also think that was the first ppv after covid right? So the energy was super high

I think 250 for me, Aljo sub had me so excited, both Cody and Suga got outrageous KO's and Nunes's masterclass win had me in awe. Very tough to choose though but I think that Aljo win was my biggest Jizz moment so.

This is a harder choice than I thought.

Think I'll have to jump on in with 249 as well. Mainly cause it released the blue balls we had from lack of...blood!

Well it's gotta be 249. UFC fight night holds a special place in my heart tho. :)

I'd have probably voted 249 if it wasn't so gruelling watching my favourite fighter get absolutely battered... And thus losing all hope of Khabib Vs Tony in future..

I also wasn't into the no crowd at first .

UFC 249.

When the UFC came back, there was nothing else going on and I couldn't have been more excited. There was so much uncertainty in the world for everyone that the sense of normalcy I got from having a mixed martial arts PPV on the weekend where I could barbecue, drink and unwind was the perfect thing to put my focus on and relieve some stress.

The card was good but the events surrounding it made it not only exponentially better but seminal to the sports world. Dana is hyperbolic in perpetuity, but he really did show everyone that despite this uncertainty that it could be done and I enjoyed it immensely.

The work the UFC did in 2020 was spectacular - shuffling cards, putting together fights consistently regardless of hiccups and honestly, the match making was never better. Yes, on paper and in regards to name power, some of the cards were lacking, but in actuality, the match making was so damn good that almost every single card delivered. The UFC deserves some kudos in that department as well.

Last edited:
I'd have probably voted 249 if it wasn't so gruelling watching my favourite fighter get absolutely battered... And thus losing all hope of Khabib Vs Tony in future..

I also wasn't into the no crowd at first .
True. That's just like life right there tho and what made it so epic lol.

256 for me. I really liked the Fig/Moreno fight. It was Fight OTY and what a way for fans to respect the FLW division. Also really liked how Charles put everyone on notice and proved that he's coming for the belt and the LW division.

Gaethje vs Ferg was stacked as fook & the main delivered big time. (or at least Gaethje did :D)
WiC2mlf.gif

This is what a PPV is supposed to look like MF'erz. Fook all these watered down cards

That is greatness right there. Work of art.

Back