The 2020 Heavies Awards - Best Submission of the Year - Winner AJ McKee

What was the best submission of 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because of the skill level in wmma you just can’t vote for them. I can gogoplata my 7 year old niece regularly if I wanted, but it’s not as impressive as AJ using a submission in a tournament that has never been seen on the MMA stage before. Not to mention against a high level opponent

Last edited:
Jimmy flick. The kid was on the wrong side of some one way traffic before he grabbed that submission. Showed a ton of grit.

plus his opponent hid the fact that he had pink eye until after they both weighed in 2 weeks prior and got the fight canceled.

Those are the best subs of last year? Has to be better ones..

McKee gets the vote here but Fig's v JB is the real winner for me.

That one gets all the extra bonus points for subbing a higher level of opponent, WEC and UFC veteran for over a decade who was never subbed in 30+ fights, he did it during a title fight, in front of the guys old lady and got the death face from JB to top it off.

McKee gets the vote here but Fig's v JB is the real winner for me.

That one gets all the extra bonus points for subbing a higher level of opponent, WEC and UFC veteran for over a decade who was never subbed in 30+ fights, he did it during a title fight, in front of the guys old lady and got the death face from JB to top it off.
upload_2021-1-5_8-51-0.png

Because of the skill level in wmma you just can’t vote for them. I can gogoplata my 7 year niece regularly, but it’s not as impressive as aj using a submission in a tournament that has never been seen on the MMA stage before

This
Derp's competition is beerleague level at best.

I vote for this

5f139dcef34d054125231db3

Yes, that one should be there as well as khabib

I knew this would come up. Approaching it from a subjective standpoint I don’t feel it has enough to make a list like this. It was the highest profile sub this year. But that would be like giving Conor KO of the year. Sure, it was fantastic, and an outstanding performance, but the hen compared to some of these..well I mean just look at them

Conor didn't knock anybody out, it was a tko and cowboy was fully awake.

McKee easily, it's not even a proper contest

Honorable mentions: Figs (in Benavidez II) and Khabib (Gaethje fight)

Back