The 2020 Heavies Awards - Best Submission of the Year - Winner AJ McKee

What was the best submission of 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yo, wait a minute, I wanna change my vote. I had not seen this:

That banana got split son <TheWire1>

Holy shit never seen that before. We’ve had a few unique ones for sure. There was the “scorpion crunch” as well, which was another sub I’d never seen before

81JYrL.gif

@Zebra Cheeks

didnt micheal johnson basically cry cause he hated his feet ..he hated they were so big <Lmaoo>

pretty sure thats fact just cant remember did he cry during camp before the fight then got subbed by his feet

<{outtahere}>
I’ve never heard about the Michael Johnson foot thing. But if I remember correctly he was really putting it on Moises, and Moises came out of the gates and slapped this thing on almost immediately. Watching it live I remember we were all floored

Never bet on him. He loses so much when he should win.

Things were looking quite good after first round. Strikes were something like 25-3. Only way for Moises to win was to pull something desperate - a low % sub out of his back after pulling guard. Go for the legs, something that he had never successfully done in his mma career so far. Until this time.
He tried something similar with Green but Bobby pulled his legs out from trouble with relative ease.

I remember seeing that, but I don't understand what the actual mechanism is here. Did she just tap to rib pressure? Seems strange.
That was the thing a lot of people were saying. I researched it heavily out of interest. My understanding is that it’s a popular submission in kids mma, or in really light weight classes where they might not have the strength in the mid section compared to a larger person. Essentially she’s digging her bones in and squeezing which creates a sensation of needing to vomit, and not being able to breathe easily. I’ve heard some pretty reputable guys describe it as extremely painful, so it’s a legit tap, but the major criticism is that if you’ve rolled extensively this should be something you can break or escape out of. In other words, cool party trick, but there’s a reason we don’t see people tapping left and right to this thing.

@Zebra Cheeks

crazy to think he is 34... great talent but just cant seem to stand out from the rest ..

he has had awesome career and opportunities tho despite his "L's"
Age is always deceptive in mma. Here’s a fun one. Did you know Jose Aldo is the same age Yoel romero was when he made his mma debut? Crazy.

@Zebra Cheeks

now that is a gem of a stat

Romero debuting at that age .. thanks i kinda never really put 2 & 2 together
Yeah man. It’s crazy because in most sports there’s a cookie cutter system. 4 years high school, 1-4 years of college, go pro. And the mileage on most guys when they hit pro, and the age are typically similar. Guys with too much mileage or poor genetics get slapped with “injury prone”.

In mma you have guys debuting at 18-25. Guys debuting 26-32. And then you have guys that are crossover athletes from these other sports. Sometimes they bring extreme mileage with them, other times, guys like Izzy make a cross over and CLEARLY have their wits and presence about them and have plenty in the tank. All that being considered it’s incredibly tough to measure a fighters “peak” until after the fact. That’s why it’s such a point of contention in ranking threads. It’s not like football or basketball where we can say “an adults physical peak is 28-35”. No, there’s so many more components. Not to mention that skill sets like bjj can be developed making a guy a more effective fighter even if they are declining physically. That’s why we have so many guys at such different age ranges, it’s also why I don’t believe in people saying someone’s bad because “he’s 43 holy shit” etc....

Probably way more than you were looking for, but what can I say I love this stuff

my personal vote goes to khabib over justin gaethje. no one, and i mean no one had that outcome predicted.

I've got it in this video here, but I can't find a gif of it. It's difficult to gif I guess as the moment from set up to Hughes being unconscious is quite long, but it's an amazing set up and I've never seen it done in MMA before.

This was such a good fight overall, and with an incredible finish. She sprung a deadly trap on Hughes.

Back