The 2020 Heavies Awards - Best Submission of the Year - Winner AJ McKee

What was the best submission of 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed that was sick and the first time I've seen a neck crank like that.

They scored it as a “modified neck crank”. @Ares Black and @BFoe were telling me they thought aj used the guys arm to help choke him. Crazy stuff
Yeah I’m certainly no groundhog expert, but to me it didn’t look like a neck crank—it looked like McKee leveraged Caldwell’s own shoulder to choke him, almost like you would in a Von Flue or arm triangle. Just from a totally different position. Really weird and cool sub, it got my vote.

You don’t think Khabib’s back take, transitions, and finish (and the speed with which everything happened) was more impressive than Dern’s knee bar? That’s bizarre to me. When you consider the entire sequence what Khabib did was more impressive and difficult from a technique standpoint.
I think it was better than derns kneebar, but I still dont think its sub of the year. its ok, we can disagree, but some of the arguements your making arent part of the criteria

I think it was better than derns kneebar, but I still dont think its sub of the year. its ok, we can disagree, but some of the arguements your making arent part of the criteria
But why was it not even nominated lol? I’m telling you, it’s because Khabib just gets taken for granted. We expect that stuff from him like we expect a jab or kick from other fighters. Anybody else did exactly what he did, they’d be on this list for sure.

They scored it as a “modified neck crank”. @Ares Black and @BFoe were telling me they thought aj used the guys arm to help choke him. Crazy stuff

Yeah I’m certainly no groundhog expert, but to me it didn’t look like a neck crank—it looked like McKee leveraged Caldwell’s own shoulder to choke him, almost like you would in a Von Flue or arm triangle. Just from a totally different position. Really weird and cool sub, it got my vote.

Caldwell was like "You're in my world now, motherfucker", and McKee was like, "Gotcha bitch!".

It was as slick as it was surprising.

When I first saw it I thought it was a crazy ass guillotine. Like a power guillotine or something. Whatever it was it was beautiful.

None of the above.

Khabib triangle from the mount was slick and monumental.

Caldwell was like "You're in my world now, motherfucker", and McKee was like, "Gotcha bitch!".

It was as slick as it was surprising.
It’s just so dominant. Imagine if someone like OSP learned this.

I don't care how many fights OSP loses, that's a scary individual.
Yes sir. Similar to some of these subs, when you can threaten from a position that’s supposed to be relatively non threatening you’ve got quite a threat on your hands. Being able to pull of subs from basic positions like a full guard, or closed half guard really will throw your opponent for a loop. It’s very difficult to defend against transitions, escapes, and sub threats of such a variety and creativity. I think that’s why I like the AJ sub so much. That position is supposed to be completely non threatening for the guy on top. Apart from having something crazy like a crucifix, someone’s back, or mount it might be the safest position, right? Yet the dude cranks this sub out like nothing. It reminds me of the way Cody Mackenzie used to modify his guillotine to hit it from weird angles.

added to the poll gents. Thank you

The disgusting kneebar wasn't added ?

UnevenEdibleAfricanfisheagle-size_restricted.gif

Yes sir. Similar to some of these subs, when you can threaten from a position that’s supposed to be relatively non threatening you’ve got quite a threat on your hands. Being able to pull of subs from basic positions like a full guard, or closed half guard really will throw your opponent for a loop. It’s very difficult to defend against transitions, escapes, and sub threats of such a variety and creativity. I think that’s why I like the AJ sub so much. That position is supposed to be completely non threatening for the guy on top. Apart from having something crazy like a crucifix, someone’s back, or mount it might be the safest position, right? Yet the dude cranks this sub out like nothing. It reminds me of the way Cody Mackenzie used to modify his guillotine to hit it from weird angles.

The situation, suddenness of it and the time elapsed in the fight make it all the more memorable. It is without a shadow of a doubt the submission of the year for it. It is a perceived position of strength for Caldwell and he seemed to think so as well. Then McKee gets a finish out of nowhere, on his back in a method he usually doesn't get one.

Back