• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
2020 Submission of the Year

This year we've had some outstanding submissions. A fantastic variety of innovative and creative subs from all kinds of positions. We even had just the second flying triangle in the UFC EVER. You really can't ask for much more than that! Here are some of the very best of this years submissions.

Royce-Gracie.jpg

UFC On ESPN 8 - Thiago Moises Submits Michael Johnson Via Achilles Lock
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

UFC On ESPN 9 - Mackenzie Dern Submits Hannah Cifers Via Kneebar
AromaticThisIchidna-size_restricted.gif

WhirlwindWelloffGar-size_restricted.gif

UFC on ESPN 12 - Kay Hansen submits Jinh Yu Frey Via Armbar
BrownSecondhandAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

UnitedWideeyedHorsefly-size_restricted.gif

AllScalyAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

UFC Fight Night 183 - Jimmy Flick submits Cody Durden Via Flying Triangle
ComfortableDazzlingAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

PossibleLastingHare-size_restricted.gif

BonySinfulKittiwake-size_restricted.gif

FlawedJollyGalah-size_restricted.gif

Bellator 253 - AJ McKee Submits Darion Caldwell Via Modified Kneck Crank

LFA 85 - Vanessa submits Hughes Via Inverted triangle

Poll closes in 7 days. If you’d like to read more about the sub of the year feel free to check out this article.

Last edited:
If someone posts a video or gif I’ll add it to the poll

I've got it in this video here, but I can't find a gif of it. It's difficult to gif I guess as the moment from set up to Hughes being unconscious is quite long, but it's an amazing set up and I've never seen it done in MMA before.

We even had just the second flying triangle in the UFC EVER.
Is that Flick sub officially being called a "flying triangle?" or is that just the media saying that?

I mean it was cool how he got his legz into the position, but he didn't actually have teh triangle until after he hit the ground. He even re-adjusted the left leg after he was down. Technically I'd think you would need the leg over the foot before your back hit the ground for it to be a "flying" triangle. I'd call that a "flying setup for a triangle." lol...

It's all good.... I just wouldn't call it that. Who got the other one? I'd like to take a look at that.

I went for McKee for pulling of something unique.
I wonder if he just made that up. He sayz "I don't know" & then says "yeah, I guess I pull that off a lot"... but he seemed to be talking about headlocks in general... so I don't know. He didn't come out strong & say "yes, that's something I practice..." so I think he just put that together on the fly.

Last edited:
@Zebra Cheeks

didnt micheal johnson basically cry cause he hated his feet ..he hated they were so big <Lmaoo>

pretty sure thats fact just cant remember did he cry during camp before the fight then got subbed by his feet

<{outtahere}>

Is Khabib not in the running? Or is it that there’s too many nut huggers that would vote him no matter what and skew the poll?
I knew this would come up. Approaching it from a subjective standpoint I don’t feel it has enough to make a list like this. It was the highest profile sub this year. But that would be like giving Conor KO of the year. Sure, it was fantastic, and an outstanding performance, but the hen compared to some of these..well I mean just look at them

Back