The 2020 Heavies Awards - Best Knockout of the Year - Winner: Buckley over Kasanganay

What was the Best Knockout of 2020?

• Total voters
Gotta be Buckley. I scared my dogs when I couldn't contain the shout of awe when that landed.
Second has to be Holland from the bottom. Jacare folding like a broken lawn chair from the top...wow.

There are some great KO's on that list, but Buckley's got my top honor because of the kick.

Look at Ngannou superior spot on incredibly accurate and beautiful form against Roz...wholly shit. To think people on here say Ngannou would do really good as a boxer is hilarious.

was surprised to see it on the list...it's a KO, but nothing technical about it, he's just wildly throwing his punches hoping one will land. And luckily for him one did

pretty weak choices this year. as far as high level / high rank fights / relevancy.

Easily Khalidov, at this stage of his career and in a rematch - he checks all the boxes

Why is the O'malley KO even there, so bizarre lol. Its the most regular looking KO you could possibly have. So overrated

Buckley it is, but Jordan Leavitt vs. Matt Wiman slam deserves a mention, that was one of a kind.

was surprised to see it on the list...it's a KO, but nothing technical about it, he's just wildly throwing his punches hoping one will land. And luckily for him one did
The slow motion makes it look bad AF, just swinging with no technique or accuracy at all, lucky for him in real speed it happened quite fast and he landed on Roz.

FirsthandSparseAsianporcupine-size_restricted.gif

Dariush over Holtzman was better than all except Buckley and Cody.

The 2020 Heavies Awards - Best Knockout of the Year

Happy New Year to all my fellow Sherdoggers! It’s your old pal, AC, and it’s my fifth year in a row making this award category for Sherdog!

Let's look back at this pestiferous year one last time by choosing the best knockout of 2020!

Before we get started, you should check out the 2020 Sherdog.com's Knockout Award of the Year below!
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Sherdogs-2020-Knockout-of-the-Year-176966

It is difficult to find something more gratifying in this sport than a decisive finish, and a brutal knockout is perhaps its best example. Please choose your favorite knockout of the year, and let us know why!

Nominees

Cody Garbrandt vs. Raphael Assuncao
June 2020, UFC 150

TanThatGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

GoodHastyEmu-size_restricted.gif

Joaquin Buckley vs. Impa Kasanganay
Oct 2020, UFC Fight Night

Joaquin%2BBuckley%2BSpin%2BKick%2BKO.gif

RadiantPastApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

Kevin Holland vs. Jacare Souza
Dec 2020, UFC 256

EvilFavoriteJackal-size_restricted.gif

RecklessCheeryBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

Alex Pereira vs. Thomas Powell
Nov 2020, LFA 95

DsbKq8K.gif

Mamed Khalidov vs. Scott Askham 2
Oct 2020, KSW 55

WoAAtIr.gif

Sean O’Malley vs. Eddie Wineland
June 2020, UFC 250

BlushingMessyLadybird-size_restricted.gif

ThornyAcidicCuckoo-size_restricted.gif

EnragedSlimyHoki-size_restricted.gif

Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
May 2020, UFC 249

ThirstyFakeGosling-size_restricted.gif

HorriblePopularBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

Cub Swanson vs. Daniel Pineda
Dec 2020, UFC 256

CloudyIllegalArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

ForsakenFaintHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

Jordan Leavitt vs. Matt Wiman
Dec 2020, UFC Fight Night

DistortedLonelyConch-size_restricted.gif

CommonUnnaturalLeveret-size_restricted.gif

Honorable Mentions from Posters

Special shout out to @KazDibiase for a lot of these gifs. :)

Please post honorable mentions if you have some in mind!

Mamed Khalidov vs. Scott Askham 2
Oct 2020, KSW 55

was a close second for me, Buckley is number one for me

Holland KO'ing Jacare the way he did was crazy, and those follow up blows were vicious looking. I can't see anything topping Joaquin's KO this year tho

For those who picked the obvious Buckley KO as their favorite, I am curious to know - what do you think was the second best knockout of 2020?

I find it to be a toss up between the Cody Garbrandt finish and Kevin Holland's epic knockout on the ground to arguably the best grappler in the UFC in Jacare. I am leaning towards the latter as being better because of its context, uniqueness, and the overall brutality of the finish. I was genuinely worried for Jacare after, although his age was a factor for my concern.

Which knockout do you guys think takes the number 2 slot if you voted Buckley?

I really like Cody’s. I know I really like it because I dislike Cody personally and generally as a fighter, but I still liked the KO a lot. The timing and the crazy movie style duck and full body spring into the punch was so sick. Still, I voted for Buckley.

Back