The 2018 Hurricane Season (PBP): Cat-4 Hurricane Michael leaving a trail of destruction in Florida

a gal who means a lot to me is in Charlesteon! should i tell her to get the fuck out of there? she says she's inland and should be fine but she moved there from Michigan a year and a half ago and has no idea!!
unfortunately she has to run a restaurant and can't leave. i told her to forget about the restaurant, how many people are going to be eating out? she says shes all stocked up and will be ok... i trust her...
Best of luck to her, man. Make sure she has plenty of bottled water, and not just for the obvious reasons. If the running water goes, you can manually fill the toilet tank. If not, well, it isn't pretty and it doesn't smell like roses.

I’m from central NC in Durham and have a home in Kitty Hawk on the northern Outer Banks side also and not going to board anything up so hoping for mostly rain instead of wind. People around central part in Durham, Raleigh, Rocky Mount are damn near fighting for gas at some confidence stores and also not a case on water on any shelf anywhere. Buddies down in Wilmington, Morehead and Hatteras are bracing for the worst

I rode out Irma no problem. I did get some more gear to have on hand going forward. Got a number of solar panels to charge phones, dvd players, radios, etc. My building is like a fortress, built in 2010, and has 2 generators. Our plan is to ride out the storms here, with my brother's family staying here for the actual storm. Then once the storm stop, we walk to his single family house (mansion) where he has a propane generator, to ride out the recovery. He has an underground tank that is like 250 gallons, since his house runs partly on propane. So that will last like 3 weeks. He also has a big deep freezer with meats, etc.

Last edited:

Last edited:
unfortunately she has to run a restaurant and can't leave. i told her to forget about the restaurant, how many people are going to be eating out? she says shes all stocked up and will be ok... i trust her...
She should be fine. I live in the Charleston area and honestly the flooding and power outages are my biggest worry. I live in a higher spot so I'm not too worried about my house flooding, just that if I need to leave my neighborhood I will need to take my kayaks.

She should be fine. I live in the Charleston area and honestly the flooding and power outages are my biggest worry. I live in a higher spot so I'm not too worried about my house flooding, just that if I need to leave my neighborhood I will need to take my kayaks.
you familiar with low country bistro? is that in a potentially shitty spot?

Yeah, that is downtown. Right in the floodzone. Nice location normally. But I wouldn't want to be there for this. Now does she live or just run the place. If she lives more inland she should be fine.

Some useful tips for those who will stay behind to endure the impending blackout:

She's getting stronger:

5f84ca94932215ed9a52d512d73e3a7347ff5217ed00fe0b96fdcc245efb61ae.gif

I’m from central NC in Durham and have a home in Kitty Hawk on the northern Outer Banks side also and not going to board anything up so hoping for mostly rain instead of wind. People around central part in Durham, Raleigh, Rocky Mount are damn near fighting for gas at some confidence stores and also not a case on water on any shelf anywhere. Buddies down in Wilmington, Morehead and Hatteras are bracing for the worst

I live in Newport and this whole area is going to get absolutely crushed. Winds have been dialed back a bit, but the rain has been dialed up. The shift south has drawn a sense of false hope. Just puts us on the worst side of the storm. 20-40" of rain expected. This is going to take weeks to sort out.

Back