The 2018 Heavies Awards - Submission of the Year - WINNER: Ryan Hall

What's your 2018 SOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bit gutted everyone has a hard on over Zabit, but Sterling had a way nicer one imo.
Sterling vs Stamann?
Zabit has a cultic cheer of a type here. True, shrewm.

And Sterling is the real deal, in my book. His Stretch Armstrong grab of Cody's leg made my initial list but as I whittled candidates down, the lock alone just didn't make the cut and, TBT, I'm not sold on Cody yet; that was Aljo's fight to lose, throwing everything and the kitchen sink from elbows and heat-seeking kicks to subs while never not pressing action or controlling the cage.

If either of you have a GIF, I'd be happy to enter it into record here; the lead-up was frenzied so any with greater frames of the like welcome. Thanks for chiming in with a deserving name to be thrown into the mix.

His Stretch Armstrong grab of Cody's leg made my initial list but as I whittled candidates down, the lock alone just didn't make the cut and, TBT, I'm not sold on Cody yet; that was Aljo's fight to lose, throwing everything and the kitchen sink from elbows and heat-seeking kicks to subs while never not pressing action or controlling the cage.

I feel like there's this sort of attitude that's endemic in 'finish of the year' selection makings; they tend to be predominated by instances where someone was getting beaten pillar to pillar before pulling something out of their ass that turns it all around, rather than instances where someone fully dominates their opponent skillfully and finishes in smooth fashion, even though the latter are cases i am much more interested in from a martial art perspective.

Last edited:
Zabit has a cultic cheer of a type here. True, shrewm.

And Sterling is the real deal, in my book. His Stretch Armstrong grab of Cody's leg made my initial list but as I whittled candidates down, the lock alone just didn't make the cut and, TBT, I'm not sold on Cody yet; that was Aljo's fight to lose, throwing everything and the kitchen sink from elbows and heat-seeking kicks to subs while never not pressing action or controlling the cage.

If either of you have a GIF, I'd be happy to enter it into record here; the lead-up was frenzied so any with greater frames of the like welcome. Thanks for chiming in with a deserving name to be thrown into the mix.

I'll probably work on making a GIF later today when I'm not busy, but if you are going by the cleaner submission, that kneebar that you listed was pretty smooth.

I feel like there's this sort of attitude that's endemic in 'finish of the year' selection makings; they tend to be predominated by instances where someone was getting beaten pillar to pillar before pulling something out of their ass that turns it all around, rather than instances where someone fully dominates their opponent skillfully and finishes in smooth fashion, even though the latter are cases i am much more interested in from a martial art perspective.
That's a fair point. I feel though it deemphasises (in relevant cases) the levels of competition being fought where, above, Cody was a step down by my assessment for someone of Aljo's skill-set; I fully concede this re: Stamann is nothing more or less than an opinion and can be argued either way. Domination and controlled finishing between two equally-skilled opponents is however, I agree, a thing of beauty and should be recognised for the feat it is.

Were you able to find a candidate to vote for from among the nominees?

Interesting, the UFC went with Zabit for SOTY

Every time I think I'm not just an average Sherbro, I vote for exactly the same nominee as everyone else. In this one, i was torn between Hall and Oley, and I went with Hall. Pleasantly surprised to see they are #1 and #2
I hear ya. It's like am I voting for 'X' cos it really is the best or because of Sherbro subconscious bias.

No love for Chiesa's one-armed kimura?
Happening some 48 hours before the turn of the year, it certainly met a key criterion for consideration. It was a great finish but I saw it in the same running as Pacio's herculean hammerlock and ended up going with the latter instead. Appreciate the mention.

For those that missed it – blase's recommendation:

We have our winner!

In sixth place with one vote is John Salter's rear-naked choke of Chidi Njokuani.
In fifth place with 16 votes is Joshua Pacio's hammerlock of Pongsiri Mitsatit.
In fourth place with 17 votes is Claudio Puelles's kneebar of Felipe Silva.
In third place with 32 votes is Paul Craig's literal last second triangle choke of Magomed Ankalaev!
In second place with 163 votes is Alexey Oleynik's Ezekiel choke of Junior Albini!

And finally, in first place, with 241 votes and 51.3% of the total vote, is Ryan Hall's stunning kneebar of BJ Penn in 2:46 of the first round, tapping a fighter who had never been submitted before!

giphy.gif

This is the 2018 Heavies Award winner for Submission of the Year!

Thanks for voting!

Hall's was so impressive because of who it was against, too.

It does have to be a flashy sub. If Bisping RNC'd Jacare I'd say that was sub of the year too.

the hall submission was just normal to me nothing too special about it considering bj beatings he has taken.

I could see this going to Hall if Penn was motivated, but not in 2018. Fuck, even tippy toe Penn is a relic.

Back