The 2018 Heavies Awards - Submission of the Year - WINNER: Ryan Hall

What's your 2018 SOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I picked the Puelles kneebar, that was sick, how he was getting beat up and probably lost two 10-8's

Voted the Hammerlock because of how crazy it looks, if that wasnt it, then its Ryan Hall effortless submission of BJ Penn.

Hall's heel hook was just too smooth and his opponent, albeit way past his prime, to well versed for me to not pick that over Oly's ezekiel over diaper boy.

Which of the Ezekiel and Hook did you end up running with?
I ended up going with Hall’s wizardry. Both subs are rare as any, but Hall had more flash and the execution of the sub was just perfect.

I wish I’m able to catch people like that one day. Oh well, I’ll stick to the basics for the next few hundred hours!

I've updated SOTY's official Mentions – read here.

Thanks to dawgs Cade and Gono for having me reconsider their two recommendations and cheers to dawg Post 2 D for bringing to my attention a pretty cool shoulder-lock victory of Pole Adam Wieczorek's that I'd originally overlooked. Good work, fellas.

@gono btw, @cade187, @Post 2 Decision

This foot lock (the first in the video), craziest submission ever!

Rejected. Sorry, bud. Click-me slideshows as such paint incomplete pictures. Simon Carson (1-1), here fighting for regional promotion HFS, is an MMA newcomer under Pro rules whose ground game has yet to be tested while victor, Young Woo Yoo (3-5), didn't appear to overcome any insurmountable odds in dialling it in. Very cool anklelock though, I agree, and I dig the inversion.

Great thread @Valhoven. appreciate the effort you put in.

zFvpP4q.gif
Cheers, mate.

Submissions are fkng awesome. Awesome way to render an opponent defeated

That ezekiel choke is just a thing of beauty. It gets my vote.

I"m ironically reminiscent of the twitter reactions of Sage Northcutt tapping to Brian Barberena

Now think of Oleynik's second UFC Ezekiel...

His opponent this time avoided the full mount (LOL) to avoid the choke...and still got nailed.. in half guard!

Ryan Hall is going to win because it's the most recent one, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

What about DJ's slam to armbar? Was that this year?
It was indeed a good commandeering of limb but took place towards the end of 2017. Appreciate the suggestion regardless. Whom did you end up running with for 2018?

Completely disagree with the votes for Hall. It was a great sub, but it was against a guy who has now lost nine fights in a row. I mean, B.J. is basically a training dummy at this point based upon his performances.

Now a historic ezekiel choke without a gi against a pretty good HW fighter? I mean any choke while mounted is awesome.

Normally I would be screaming recency bias in something like this, but it was the submission of the year.

Solid nod but I already had one kneebar and while Zabit's stretch variation was cool, I reckoned Claudio's the superior of the two; I'm surprised Silva still has a leg to walk on.

To no surprise, I had many on the threshold but wanted to cap our choices at 6 so we stretch not the conversation too thin. I could have effortlessly bloated this to 10 or 15 options. Some guys were personal favourites of mine (like Steve Mowry's opening-round Amerikana against Ben Moa at Bellator 205) but I aimed to find gems that would appeal to all, or as close to that as possible.

Sorry about Zabit; were you able to find a close second from the options available?

Bit gutted everyone has a hard on over Zabit, but Sterling had a way nicer one imo.

I get the love for Hall, and I'm okay with people voting that way... but it's hard for me to see any sort of victory over post tippi toe Penn as being exceptionally impressive... even a sub.

Oleynik for me, with the pretty much impossible sub to pull off in a fight without a gi... that he happens to have pulled off multiple times.

For me- even rhough in record books , it was a " tko"...... it wasn't. Super fight Mousasi vs Macdonald ended with Rory tapping to strikes/elbows as ref was making his way to wave off fight early in 2nd round. Amazing that Gegard hadn't received the proper credit for the absute drubbing of welterweight champ and durable Canadian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back